Sponsored

how bad do s550's get rock chips on long trips

pmr2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback, 1975 Corvette Coupe
Yikes that Xpel stuff is expensive on the website about $400....could repaint the bumper for that price?

Any cheaper alternatives in the protective film world?

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I purchased a colgan for mine for long highway trips. Just went on a Florida trip and no rock chips. I got stuck behind some redneck in a truck throwing rocks all over the place and without protection there would be plenty of rock chips. Also, if you are driving thru Darien GA on 95 do not go over 70 for the 1 mile you are within city limits. Those goobers write tickets for 85 mph even if you are going 75 or 79. My radar/laser was never triggered and the cop was on the shoulder with a hand held shooting through a car on my right at a 70 degree angle. Absolute horse shit and he never even clocked me but that doesn't stop those goobers from picking out Mustangs in a group of 6 cars.
2nd the Colgan. Best $160 ever spent and after the first time its on or off in 5 minutes.

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
my car is black. i to keep back from cars. i wonder if that bra would leave rub marks on black
It shouldn't and doesn't leave any marks and my Magnetic paint. The colgan is a high quality product with a soft flannel interior that fits pretty close to perfect. My old Genesis coupe had gotten sand blasted on a raid trip once and I didn't want the same thing to happen with the Mustang so the colgan is used for any extended highway driving. It takes about 10 minutes to install.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/cove...medium=shopping&T5_Var3=blue&T5_Var4=397425-B

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, any vehicle driven on public roads will get chips from debris. The only way to guarantee no paint chips is to not drive it. I always have a clear bra installed on new vehicles. It isn't cheap, but it goes a long way to preventing paint chips. If you are OCD about your vehicle's appearance, then at least get the front bumper and front 1/3 of the hood covered...but might as well do the entire hood.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Self chip repair is the best investment. Ford touch up $20. Get yourself a bottle of blob remover, $20, done. Most of the file in can't even be spotted. I just don't find the value in expensive repellents. The only time I'd say it would be worth it is if you plan on keeping your car for 5+ years. White hides stuff pretty good. I just touched mine up for the first time after 24k miles. I had some on the hood, pillars and bumper.
IMG_0337.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 00

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Bad....Get Xpel

Sponsored

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
this car has by far the worst paint of any car i've ever owned. you LOOK at it the wrong way and it chips. Clear bra on the whole front bumper is what i would do, as well as stone guards on the front wheels and anchor room's clear bra on the rear quarter to avoid the chips.

Reactions: Ebm

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Ckear 'BRA' only covers a portion of the hood. The edge of bra is noticable and diesnt look very goid. Need to get "FULL" fron end coverage
LIES! :doh:

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
Suntek since the first week I had it. Now at 8,500 km and no chips on the hood so far and that includes several long trips. Noticed a couple of dings in the clear bra but they self healed in 2 days

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I would get a 3 - 5 second gap between the car in front of you.
Sponsored

Reactions: A7X