Sponsored

Hood doesn't close properly after installing hood struts?

blueskies925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (manual)
I had some Ford Performance Hood Struts installed today, but I noticed on the right side of the hood when fully closed there is a clear and significant opening that wasn't there before. Any ideas on what could be the issue and how to fix it? The other side is fine btw, only this side is like this.
Thank you for any help!

View attachment 441170 View attachment 441169
Sponsored

Last edited:

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
This happened back in the early days on the 15’s... I am pretty sure it’s related to the hood latch, it needs adjusting. If I recall the latch is pulling down too hard?

mmff88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I installed the kit on a 2019 a couple of weeks ago. My windshield washers stopped working two days ago and I discovered that the washer fluid hose was being crushed between the strut and the lower passenger side mount. that shouldn't really throw the alignment of that much, but it is worth looking at.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Did you check the bump stops at the front of the hood? Also, Just for the hell of it, try reversing the struts. The latch should not cause a left/right imbalance. I needed to adjust that on my 15" EB because the gap from the hood to the bumper was off.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I installed the kit on a 2019 a couple of weeks ago. My windshield washers stopped working two days ago and I discovered that the washer fluid hose was being crushed between the strut and the lower passenger side mount. that shouldn't really throw the alignment of that much, but it is worth looking at.

My guess is on the above. If all the OP did was install a set of hood struts - no other dynamics changed with the hood alignment or bump stops.

There is a thread on here somewhere showing that those with the 2018+ had some issues with the windshield washer hose routing which caused interference with aftermarket hood struts (and hood issues like posted).

mmff88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Ford Performance Techline says as follows regarding the washer fluid hose getting pinched:

Release the hose from the lower clip and move it downward about ½ inch to get it out of the crush zone.
The upper clip is no longer going to be used.
If desired it can be removed.
On our cars we have not seen any issues with using one clip.
Sponsored