Sponsored

Homelink Rearview Mirror Install

thewoodscrew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Base
I got tired of using the garage door remote i had clipped to the visor, so I became interested in the factory Homelink visor, but the price was increased from around $140 to $300 plus. I remembered I had swapped in a compass/temperature rear view mirror on my 04 Jeep Rubicon. It was a factory option for the Wrangler, but I used the same model mirror but it came from a similar year Chevy Tahoe since it displayed the compass and temp at the same time. All it took was re-pining the wire harness to match the Tahoe pinout.

So I picked up a Gentex 435 Homelink rearview mirror from an Infiniti off eBay for $45 with the wiring pigtail. I couldn't figure out how to pull the factory connector apart so I could re-pin the 435's connector as it is different from the stock Mustang connector. I used posi-tap connectors for the power and ground wires http://www.amazon.com/Posi-tap-Connector-20-22-Gauge-Wire/dp/B00389UT3I/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1447036599&sr=8-10&keywords=posi+tapI tapped the power and ground wires from the factory mirror(look up radar detector mirror tap here on the forum) and I also tapped the yellow wire in the overhead console for constant 12v. I just shoved the factory connector with spliced wires in the headliner, you can barely see a small bump in the headliner but it's not very noticeable. I picked up a plastic wire cover made for the 435 from amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J5JT94?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00 and trimmed a little over an inch off both pieces so it would fit in the headliner. It's a straight forward install, takes about 20-30 minutes. Feel free to PM me if you need a better description or more pictures.

Here is the wire diagram for the GNTX-435
Sponsored

matholland618

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2004 f350 6.0 powerstroke, 1996 Jeep Cherokee
nice idea! I might have to do this as well as do this to future vehicles lol.

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT & 2016 EB Mustangs
I just added one of those mirrors to my wife's 2014 Fusion SE.

Factory mirror was a plain manual mirror (no wiring at all), so I wanted both the Homelink and the Auto Dimming. Cheapest I found a plain Auto Dimming was around $70 and the cheapest I found the Homelink version was $209 ($259 MSRP).

Then I found the guy on ebay selling them for $52.00 shipped including the install kit (plastic cover & wiring). Mirror appeared to be BRAND NEW, just not in a box and he had a lot more than the one.

That makes sense that it was likely a new take-out part from some other car ... did not think of that, but that explains why it was a 1/4 of the best price I could otherwise find on the web.

We love our new Homelink Mirror ... and for the price it can't be beat.

Good to know it was a simple swap in your '15 Base GT as I plan to order a '16 Base EB in January and it would be nice to have Homelink in it too.

Doug
Sponsored