Home maintenance vs dealership

Dadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium manual
I am also one who avoids dealerships and shops at all costs. I do 100% of maintenance on all of my families cars. I have even went as far as to repair a warranty issue on my own. I do not trust anyone to do the job right. Other than myself. If a warranty repair is fairly inexpensive I will repair it myself. If it is expensive the dealer can fix it. The only thing I cannot do is body work so that always gets done by a trusted body shop.

Don
Sponsored

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Trust me! Just do it yourself! Document and record everything you do! You know more about your car then the “Boobs” at the dealership! I tried... First oil change.. I had to stop on the way home to make sure my car wasn’t on fire! I even called (2) weeks in advance to see if they had a service tech that knew anything about the Shelby’s! Good freaking luck!

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
I have accumulated so many Ford pass points over the years that for the past 2ish years I haven’t paid for any oil changes on our cars.
I have the dealer do work and yes at times they do mess it up. The only plus to that is if they mess it up they fix there mistake.
I always do a full walk around with the service advisor before and after picking my car up. One time the tech accidentally cut my center console cover. They replaced it no questions.
I don’t believe the dealership has the best techs or even above par. But if you do the right steps you can ensure your work is performed the right way.

Conversely I went with a friend to drop his Audi off for service and it was a night and day difference. They had the way he likes his coffee and offered it to him as he dropped it off and was overall a very professional and efficient process. No need for mucking about or taking pictures of condition because they do it all. ( I realize not all will be like this but I have yet to come across a Ford dealer with service that was at that level)

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
My local dealer is less than 2 miles from my house. I love/hate that dealer. Love the front-end advisor, hate all the techs behind the wall.

I am DIY except for warranty work. I suspected my (2nd) battery was fading, so I thought "Why not try the next nearest dealer [7 miles] for this simple job?"

I waited about an hour and a half. No problem found, gave me the battery tester results printout slip. Drove my clean car back home in the rain. (I wondered why my seat back angle had changed. That one adjustment is a total Keep Out! issue for me.)

I get a call after I am home. Adviser said the tech left the battery tester machine in my car. I go and check my trunk - not there. He said to check my back seat. Yep, there it was. A 20-pound tester, dirty with road grit falling off onto my seat, and leaving little dent marks in my leather from its feet. I told him that we would have a problem if those dents don't go away.

Couldn't the tech simply have put the tester on the passenger side floor?! SMH...

gpierce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
We get a year of free roadside assistance (for the first 7 years) if we do the maintenance at the dealer once a year. I do my own in between but let the dealer change the oil once a year. I also use an app to track all my stuff, Autosist and Fuelly.

Sponsored

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
...for service, for my '21 GT it will be a Valvoline Quick Lube.

After motorcycle wrecks and Heart surgery, I welcome the help.......... :clap:

(I'm 66 yo anyway)

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. If only there was a good dealership around that I trusted. I just let them give me the free oil changes and that’s about it. Going to be changing the oil again so I need to find some decent ramps.

I passed on that, oils & filters are cheap. Also as another posted remove wheels to get tires, do my own work, mods, wash, wax and drive. .. in this case it's all about me .

Do I go to the dealer .............. yes to buy parts

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Servicing with dealer and having service records is good for resale value.

But first time I got oil change with the dealer they filled it with 5 querts of oil instead of 8 and even recorded that in service record.

I'm making my own oil changes now.
Sponsored