Sponsored

Higher quality full ceramic only or combo of average ceramic and partial PPF?

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
2 words for me describe ceramic coatings: Snake Oil

Good Luck!!

Lol you living in the past or you are listening to dealership "detailers". Modern ceramic coatings are the best form of long lasting paint protection.
Sponsored

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
Yea, livin in the past. What are you going to write next that graphene is better than any coating on the planet? Keep on drinking the Kool aid.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
See lots of opinions and feedback here. I have a 2020 GT convertible. I found some super nerd details guys (guys that will talk your ear off about how their detailing works) and the TLDR is Ceramic is good but only lasts 2-3 yrs tops no matter who's product. I had my GT paint corrected first, then Ceramic over 2/3rds then PPF on the whole front (bumper, hood, pillars, fenders, mirrors) because stones and flying stuff happens. Lastly I'm going to track my GT so the PPF will help there.
fwiw.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Yea, livin in the past. What are you going to write next that graphene is better than any coating on the planet? Keep on drinking the Kool aid.
No, I am not on the graphene train. Not opposed to it, but the technology is still very new and not proven. Where is your proof that ceramic coatings are snake oil? Ever applied one properly and seen the results?

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I have no expectations that ceramic would help prevent rock chips. I would hope that it might help with etching from bug splatters that stay on the car a little too long and then make it easier to get them off. Over the years I’ve had a *lot* more trouble with bugs than rocks.
I am pretty sure it will
help prevent spattered bugs as well as Bird crap from attacking your clear coat.

Sponsored

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
No, I am not on the graphene train. Not opposed to it, but the technology is still very new and not proven. Where is your proof that ceramic coatings are snake oil? Ever applied one properly and seen the results?
Time to move on.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
I’m finding in my area full ceramic pricing seems to fall into roughly 3 price tiers: $1450, $1850 and $2500, all including some degree of polishing/paint correction. Pretty pricey but it is what it is. Partial PPF on the critical areas adds around another $1000 to $1500.

Given that my car is garaged and only comes out to play on good roads and nice days, I’m tempted to forget about the film and spring for the higher end ceramic. In this case the product is Ceramic Pro 9H, using 4 basecoats and 2 topcoats. Lifetime guarantee. They do the entire car including glass, wheels/calipers and seal the convertible top.

Please critique my thinking if you will. I really want the paint to pop on the car and they do nice work. In the past I’ve never really had much of a problem with stone chips, and I’d be hopeful the ceramic would help with bug splatters.
Didn't read through all the replies... but here's my 2 cents. Get some PPF where you think you'll need it most, then ceramic the whole car.

I just completed paint correction and ceramic coating training by 3M. It was very interesting and enlightening. There is a lot of misinformation and exaggeration out there in regards to this very subject you're asking about. In training we discussed PPF in depth, I've installed it, and I'm slated for certification next month to wrap up the education. Really trying to get the knowledge from the manufacturers and installing.

Ceramic and PPF, as you seem to realize are meant for 2 completely different reasons. One shines well and makes for easier maintenance. It's really just a long term wax. Not permanent but often marketed that way. Ceramic will give you protection in the way of etching from bird droppings, some UV, water spots, ease of brake dust removal and such. Like you said, the PPF gives the rock chip, minor ding, UV and heavier protection. Even though you don't drive bad roads, there's always door dings, garage, gas station, and convenience store mishaps.

Get both. That's the way.

Side note, lifetime guarantee is only if they're still in business and you're in the area. It's kind of a ploy to upsell. They just add more on your car.

Last edited:

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I’m finding in my area full ceramic pricing seems to fall into roughly 3 price tiers: $1450, $1850 and $2500, all including some degree of polishing/paint correction. Pretty pricey but it is what it is. Partial PPF on the critical areas adds around another $1000 to $1500.

Given that my car is garaged and only comes out to play on good roads and nice days, I’m tempted to forget about the film and spring for the higher end ceramic. In this case the product is Ceramic Pro 9H, using 4 basecoats and 2 topcoats. Lifetime guarantee. They do the entire car including glass, wheels/calipers and seal the convertible top.

Please critique my thinking if you will. I really want the paint to pop on the car and they do nice work. In the past I’ve never really had much of a problem with stone chips, and I’d be hopeful the ceramic would help with bug splatters.
Without covering the same ground, I want to offer a counter point in regards to longer term coatings.

Ceramic coatings that can potentially live beyond 3 years with the correct care are in theory a novel idea. However, unless the car is kept in a bubble and never driven, minor scratches and wash induced marring are always going to happen, even for the most fastidious owner.

For example, lets say you are three years into your 5 year coating and the paint has some wash induced swirls and some minor scratches. In general, you will either have to live with it or polish them out, potentially taking the coating with it.

My suggestion would be to either go for the shorter term coating, allowing more freedom in the future with regards to polishing and correcting, and/or put more funds towards a PPF job.

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
I am old school, and a lot of this new tech, is bs. I can attest that graphene the plastic and anything black on my car, brought it back to life and sealed it. I cannot speak to any of the graphene paint coating stuff. On the plastic though, its excellent.

Side note: Graphene is a WORTHWHILE investment in the coming years, as far as it being used in semiconductors and other "new" technology. Theyre attempting to say that its rare difficult to mfr, however, there was a dude years ago, who figured out how to mass produce it in a red solo cup, in his garage.

Hijack off/
Sponsored