Hey everyone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
alex
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic Si
Hey everyone,

I currently do not own a S550 but I am considering buying one either over the next few months or maybe next year. I have a question for any of the members with kids that may be using a car seat. How is the fitment? Could you possibly share pictures and is it possible / realistic? My daughter just turned 1 and I am currently driving a 2018 Civic Si Sedan which I went with because I wanted a 4 door but I came to the realization that I actually travel with my daughter in my car very few times. The majority of the time we use my wife's car so I do not think having a two door will be that big of a deal anymore but I am wondering if it will fit. Any other parents to little ones on here or do I just need get it out of my head and stick with a 4 door?
Sponsored

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Hey buddy I'm glad I get to be the first response. I currently have a 6 year old and he's ridden in the mustang since he was 3. Honestly there is no problem at all. I've seen some members here make a huge deal about the back seat being small but I think that's only true if you're over 5'8

My son loves being in the back seat. Actually I had to rent a Mercedes SUV a couple weeks back and he made many comments about the mustangs backseat being more comfortable.

Also I use my s550 for work. With the back seats laid down I can get almost anything in the car. I don't understand why people say it's unpractical. Except for fuel economy. That is rough sometimes lol

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
alex
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic Si
Hey buddy I'm glad I get to be the first response. I currently have a 6 year old and he's ridden in the mustang since he was 3. Honestly there is no problem at all. I've seen some members here make a huge deal about the back seat being small but I think that's only true if you're over 5'8

My son loves being in the back seat. Actually I had to rent a Mercedes SUV a couple weeks back and he made many comments about the mustangs backseat being more comfortable.

Also I use my s550 for work. With the back seats laid down I can get almost anything in the car. I don't understand why people say it's unpractical. Except for fuel economy. That is rough sometimes lol
Thanks for the input man. I have always been a fan of Mustangs and with only 1 year of ownership of this Si I currently drive I am just not satisfied with the car and find it very boring lol (Kind of saw this coming but oh well). Also these new Si do not seem to be too reliable like previous Honda's were always known to be, It also does not help that a bud of mine let me take his Camaro SS out for a spin and I just knew right then I did not want a 4 banger anymore but I have always been more of a Mustang fan then Camaro.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I’ll give some advice:

If you plan on going with leather seating surfaces, definitely put some type of towel or barrier between the underside of the car seat and the rear seating surface.

The leather surfaces once it’s been compressed under weight for a period of time does not rebound as well as the cloth seating surfaces. There will be indentations or “dents” left and they will be very difficult to restore to “pre-car seat” condition.

The same happens if the rear seat backs are left down for a period of time - the lower seat belt receptacles leave indentations into the leather surfaces... when ever I have to put my rear seats down, I place towels over the seat belt receptacles to avoid any compression marks on the rear upholstery.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Baby seat fits just fine in the back seat. Girlfriend is 5'10", and I'm 6'2". No problem with a 1.5 yr old back there.

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
The rear facing car seat is tight. My passenger seat sits almost all the way up and it wont go back any farther because its already touching the car seat. My car seat does have a base it sits on, not sure if all new ones are like that or not. One with out a base might tuck back farther into the rear seat but I wouldnt want to try it with the shape of the bucket. I'm looking forward to her getting old enough to move to that forward facing seat but for now the mustang is mostly used for my solo trips. I'll post a pic for you when I get a chance.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
alex
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic Si
The rear facing car seat is tight. My passenger seat sits almost all the way up and it wont go back any farther because its already touching the car seat. My car seat does have a base it sits on, not sure if all new ones are like that or not. One with out a base might tuck back farther into the rear seat but I wouldnt want to try it with the shape of the bucket. I'm looking forward to her getting old enough to move to that forward facing seat but for now the mustang is mostly used for my solo trips. I'll post a pic for you when I get a chance.
Appreciate the input

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....a bud of mine let me take his Camaro SS out for a spin and I just knew right then I did not want a 4 banger anymore but I have always been more of a Mustang fan then Camaro.
FYI, a Camaro drives very differently from a Mustang. The LT1 6.2L V8 develops tons of torque down low, where the Mustang's Coyote 5.0 needs to be at 4K RPM to really make power. The Camaro has deep, strong torque that thrusts it off the line, then it runs out of breath. The Mustang feels weak off the line, then surges and pulls in high RPMs where it shines.

So....be very aware; if you liked the way the Camaro drove, you'll be let-down with a Mustang in normal driving.

J_Herb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I have 2 kids, 7 (booster seat) and 3 (forward facing convertible seat) and don't have any issues with fitting them in. I'm 6' and my wife is 5'10" and the boys do have enough room to be comfortable for shorter rides, running errands around town. Like you we mostly take my wife's SUV, but I've only had my Mustang for a month so the boys want to ride in it any chance they get.

I also recommend putting down some kind of towel or protective pad on the seat to help with saving the leather if you go that route. I didn't in my last car because I wasn't planning on keeping it long and when I sold it about a year later you could still see some imprints from the car seat bases and the anchors.

Some things to consider, check your state laws and car seat recommendations for when you can turn your daughter to forward facing. Too many people are in a hurry to turn their kids around to forward facing when they should be rear for as long as possible. At this age their spines and neck muscles are still developing and longer you can keep them rear facing the better for them. Rear facing is going to be tight and a bit tough getting her in and out as she's probably out of an infant seat with a base you can click into and out of, so a convertible seat will be tight. My youngest is 2lbs under the max for rear facing so my wife was OK with me putting forward facing in the Mustang, he's still rear facing in her car.

Here's a couple of good links for car seats in a Mustang

CJ Pony parts Link

Cars.com 2018 Mustang Link

Cars.com 2016 Mustang Link

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
I have both :D

It's a 9th gen Si Sedan for the past 2 years. Before that it was a 8th gen Coupe. Growing up my dad always had 2door coupes and never any issues with car seats. I have a large dog and the sedan makes it a lot easier to transport bc I use a carrying cage in the back seat.

Though we get a lot of snow up here and driving a ton so the Mustang is my garage queen. Could see myself dailying it in the future and only having one car.

Also drive quite a bit 100miles round trip for work a day and road trips in summer.
Si mileage - 6.9L/100km hwy/traffic mix(city only your looking at 9-11L)
GT mileage - 10L/100km hwy/traffic mix(city only your looking at 16-18L)

Insurance wise both cars are almost equal. The Mustang is a few hundred less annually.

Still think the Si is an amazing car esp if your on twisty backroads. It doesn't have nearly the power of even an Ecostang but with a good set of UHP tires it handles like its on rails. The weight difference and size is very noticeable.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
alex
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic Si
FYI, a Camaro drives very differently from a Mustang. The LT1 6.2L V8 develops tons of torque down low, where the Mustang's Coyote 5.0 needs to be at 4K RPM to really make power. The Camaro has deep, strong torque that thrusts it off the line, then it runs out of breath. The Mustang feels weak off the line, then surges and pulls in high RPMs where it shines.

So....be very aware; if you liked the way the Camaro drove, you'll be let-down with a Mustang in normal driving.
Very true thank you for the input. I have also been in plenty of Mustangs and love them sorry for leaving that out. Either case when the time comes I will test drive various options but I think I am pretty set on a Mustang I have always wanted one.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
alex
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic Si
I have 2 kids, 7 (booster seat) and 3 (forward facing convertible seat) and don't have any issues with fitting them in. I'm 6' and my wife is 5'10" and the boys do have enough room to be comfortable for shorter rides, running errands around town. Like you we mostly take my wife's SUV, but I've only had my Mustang for a month so the boys want to ride in it any chance they get.

I also recommend putting down some kind of towel or protective pad on the seat to help with saving the leather if you go that route. I didn't in my last car because I wasn't planning on keeping it long and when I sold it about a year later you could still see some imprints from the car seat bases and the anchors.

Some things to consider, check your state laws and car seat recommendations for when you can turn your daughter to forward facing. Too many people are in a hurry to turn their kids around to forward facing when they should be rear for as long as possible. At this age their spines and neck muscles are still developing and longer you can keep them rear facing the better for them. Rear facing is going to be tight and a bit tough getting her in and out as she's probably out of an infant seat with a base you can click into and out of, so a convertible seat will be tight. My youngest is 2lbs under the max for rear facing so my wife was OK with me putting forward facing in the Mustang, he's still rear facing in her car.

Here's a couple of good links for car seats in a Mustang

CJ Pony parts Link

Cars.com 2018 Mustang Link

Cars.com 2016 Mustang Link
Thank you very much for taking the time to give me all of this information I greatly appreciate it!

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
alex
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic Si
I have both :D

It's a 9th gen Si Sedan for the past 2 years. Before that it was a 8th gen Coupe. Growing up my dad always had 2door coupes and never any issues with car seats. I have a large dog and the sedan makes it a lot easier to transport bc I use a carrying cage in the back seat.

Though we get a lot of snow up here and driving a ton so the Mustang is my garage queen. Could see myself dailying it in the future and only having one car.

Also drive quite a bit 100miles round trip for work a day and road trips in summer.
Si mileage - 6.9L/100km hwy/traffic mix(city only your looking at 9-11L)
GT mileage - 10L/100km hwy/traffic mix(city only your looking at 16-18L)

Insurance wise both cars are almost equal. The Mustang is a few hundred less annually.

Still think the Si is an amazing car esp if your on twisty backroads. It doesn't have nearly the power of even an Ecostang but with a good set of UHP tires it handles like its on rails. The weight difference and size is very noticeable.
The 9th Gens are great man, they really handicapped themselves with the 10th Gen going with a 1.5t. People are blowing them up left and right and now this oil dilution issue they are having its not looking to good with this new gen Si.. I dont want to make it seem like stock Si are blowing up thats not the case but several have blown up with OTS tunes. Also it seems like anything past 300whp is rolling the dice while the k series was making way more reliably. Overall I think Honda took a step backwards with this new platform I am all for turbo but they handicapped themselves going with such a small displacement. I am a fan of several platforms Japs, American even euro but it seems like Hondas better days are behind them at the moment and personally I can not justify paying 40k for a civic. (speaking about the type r)

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
alex
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic Si
Additional questions I have regarding this platform. Any issues whether it be mechanical or cheap paint that chips easily or maybe any issues with interior? I am trying to use the search function as much as I can the most thing I come across is something called engine tick which I see some getting warranty work for it and then it comes back and then others just leave it as is and the car never gives them problems but any big issues with this platform overall?

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Mine has the 2k rattle but only ticking is normal DI fuel system ticking. Rattle is only when cold and the car runs strong. Mechanically it has been a great car so far. My interior hasn't had any issues either. Paint sucks. I have a lot of chips already. If you do buy get a coating on it right away. I waited and got so many chips in the first few weeks I said screw it. Granted we have major freeway construction going on in Az so some of my chips are above the windshield and probably not preventable. Overall it's an amazing vehicle I dont regret my purchase at all.
Sponsored