Sponsored

Here's something I didn't know..

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I was at the exhaust shop yesterday and we were talking about push button start vehicles and I mentioned that I didn't know if mine could be started by dumping the clutch while rolling. One of the techs overheard us and said button start cars that he's dealt with have a key insert location that should let you roll start it. I told him I knew of no such thing so he googled it and found that it's located under the cup holder mat.

So as I was about to leave I looked there and all I found was a little cubby hold cutout with a small square panel on the inside that I presume could be removed. Just now I decided to google it myself and if I understand it correctly it's not for a roll start bypass, but instead is a place you can put your fob if the battery in the fob itself dies. The car recognizes the fob in that spot by some other means and will allow you to button start it normally. Maybe I'm just late to the party, but I've never seen that mentioned on mustang 6g.
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's in the owners manual I think.
The car has two ways to disable engine immobilizer so the engine can be started. The normal way is the key fob would transmit a signal as long as the fob is inside or near the car. The other way is when the fob is dead so the signal can't be transmitted, you place the fob by the sensor under the cupholder to start the car.

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
And so now i'm back to wondering if this thing will roll start. I saw a discussion where the opinions of several were that it won't, but no one had actually tried it. I might do that soon when no one is looking..lol

SoulTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem. Oxford White
[MENTION=22771]PJR202[/MENTION]

Perfect answer to your question

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
[MENTION=22771]PJR202[/MENTION]

Perfect answer to your question

Bam..and now we know. Fist useful video I've seen from that bunch. Normally they can take 2 minutes of useful information (based on the headline of the video) and turn it into 20 minutes of standing around.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
And so now i'm back to wondering if this thing will roll start. I saw a discussion where the opinions of several were that it won't, but no one had actually tried it. I might do that soon when no one is looking..lol
It will if you have enough juice to turn on the ignition. If it's so dead that it can't even run the computer, it will not work.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
As a side note, there is also a spot in your door handle to fit the key inside your fob into in order to unlock your door if need be.

Figured you might have been missing out on that information too?

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
As a side note, there is also a spot in your door handle to fit the key inside your fob into in order to unlock your door if need be.

Figured you might have been missing out on that information too?
That part I was aware of, but thanks. I've seen people on this forum ask what happens if the fob dies and no one had a good answer at that time..lol. I'd never seen the fob cubby thing mentioned on here.

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
..I'd never seen the fob cubby thing mentioned on here.
Also if you were not aware, that cubby can be used to program your second key fob as a valet key. In the myKey screen in between the speedo and tach, you can set one of the fobs to not allow anyone to turn off TC, no LC or line lock, set a max speed limit, and a few other safety features when that fob is the only one used in the car. Pretty nifty.

I always use that key fob if I have to leave it with a dealer or shop.

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
It will if you have enough juice to turn on the ignition. If it's so dead that it can't even run the computer, it will not work.
Would the computer need to be active? Seems like the only thing it would need is enough juice to recognize the fob. It already recognizes the fob without being in what would be considered the accessory/ignition position (clutch depressed). Otherwise it'll get juice as soon as it's forced to fire. The ignition wouldn't be necessary if I understand correctly how roll starting works.

I would think if you can get it rolling and force it to start with the clutch that would override any other requirements, including the fob, unless it's got some sort of circuitry that would kill the motor immediately, but forcing it to turn and spark I don't think would be able to be stopped.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Also if you were not aware, that cubby can be used to program your second key fob as a valet key. In the myKey screen in between the speedo and tach, you can set one of the fobs to not allow anyone to turn off TC, no LC or line lock, set a max speed limit, and a few other safety features when that fob is the only one used in the car. Pretty nifty.

I always use that key fob if I have to leave it with a dealer or shop.
I'd set the max speed to 5MPH, max miles able to be driven before it shuts off to 3 miles. Plus electric shocks through the seat and steering wheel if these parameters are exceeded.

Every freakin' time I dropped my 2012 GT off at the dealership, they did some sort of damage. Every. Damn. Time.

Shit birds.

SoulTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem. Oxford White
Bam..and now we know. Fist useful video I've seen from that bunch. Normally they can take 2 minutes of useful information (based on the headline of the video) and turn it into 20 minutes of standing around.
Lots of fluff in their videos, I just want to see car stuff man

chrissn95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP
You still need some juice to power coils and injectors or it will not start. So a complete dead battery is a no no for roll start.

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
You still need some juice to power coils and injectors or it will not start. So a complete dead battery is a no no for roll start.
won't that kick in when the engine begins to rotate and gets the alternator spinning?

chrissn95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP
You still need some power to create the rotor electric field on the alternator for it to generate power.
Sponsored