Sponsored

Help with rattle behind cluster

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I'm looking to see if there is a common cause to this particular rattle anyone may know. When on old sections of highway or hitting reflectors/joints I get a brief rattle from what sounds like behind the digital instrument cluster. It's not the trim or anything I can push on to stop but deeper in.

The grill over the center speaker was doing a steady buzz rattle but the dealer fixed that.

I think this one was caused when the dealer took apart the dash to replace the collision assist HUD.

I can take it back to the dealer but it gets frustrating dealing with these kinds of problems.
Sponsored

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Dealer may have left something loose.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
OP, just for the heck of it try and take off the plastic cover from the A pillar tweeter. Press against the tweeter with your left hand and drive over rough surface to see if you hear the rattle/buzz. My 2018 GT does the same and at first I though it was coming from the instrument cluster as well. Not saying yours isnt but this will get rid of at least one variable.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Yes, but it isn't the tweeter. It sounds deeper inside the dash to me.

The dealer had to pull a bit of the dash apart when they replaced the hud. As part of that they had to take the A pillars off and one of them even broke. So I got to have a good examination of that part. Those tweeters are really cheap!

I'm partly afraid of more scratches, broken parts, loaner car for days and new rattles.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Welcome to owning a Mustang. Best way to deal with rattles is to pick up some sort of foam and do it yourself. I use the foam that is used to fill in the gaps of window AC units but there is quite a few things you can stuff in those trouble spots.

Sponsored

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I've been thinking of that but I'm nervous after seeing how much damage the dealer did when replacing the HUD. But I'd rather do it myself.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Yes, but it isn't the tweeter. It sounds deeper inside the dash to me.

The dealer had to pull a bit of the dash apart when they replaced the hud. As part of that they had to take the A pillars off and one of them even broke. So I got to have a good examination of that part. Those tweeters are really cheap!

I'm partly afraid of more scratches, broken parts, loaner car for days and new rattles.
Got it. I am hesitant to take my car to a dealership (Ford especially) for anything. If you have the tools, try and work on it yourself. I feel you will have better luck getting the rattle fixed this way rather than going to the dealer. They fix one thing and break another, its a never ending cycle :frusty::ford:

fewt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Did you have the evaporator replaced? I had the dealership hunt down a rattle that sounded like it came from the same location, and they said the evaporator bolts came slightly loose and caused it.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
They fix one thing and break another, its a never ending cycle :frusty::ford:
LMAO, yeah it's a trap that can go on for years. My last car was a Mercedes and just about every service rep knew my name. Which was nice but the dealer service department should't be like Cheers.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Did you have the evaporator replaced? I had the dealership hunt down a rattle that sounded like it came from the same location, and they said the evaporator bolts came slightly loose and caused it.
No, just the HUD. Is the evap anywhere hear there?

Perhaps if I had Magneride this wouldn't be a problem. :(

Sponsored

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Most likely it's a stray screw. Not loose, but dropped & lost during recent surgery. I agree wholeheartedly with trying to fix it yourself.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Most likely it's a stray screw. Not loose, but dropped & lost during recent surgery. I agree wholeheartedly with trying to fix it yourself.
Oh my, that could be near impossible to find!

fewt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
No, just the HUD. Is the evap anywhere hear there?

Perhaps if I had Magneride this wouldn't be a problem. :(
Yeah, it's behind the dash. The rattle I had sounded just like it was coming from behind the steering wheel in the console. Ford said it happened sometimes after the evap swaps.

OP, just for the heck of it try and take off the plastic cover from the A pillar tweeter. Press against the tweeter with your left hand and drive over rough surface to see if you hear the rattle/buzz. My 2018 GT does the same and at first I though it was coming from the instrument cluster as well. Not saying yours isnt but this will get rid of at least one variable.
I had this rattle too, on the passenger side. A few mm of electrical tape all the way around the inside of the cover and it's been quiet since.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
OP, check this thread out - you should be able to pull the digital cluster yourself and try to see, find or isolate any rattles coming from behind it - instead of taking it to the Dealer. It’s not a difficult task to remove the cluster and you won’t damage anything:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99275

Onto the other subject:
If the Dealership or Tech damaged your Mustang or interior components, did they replace those damaged parts to make you whole?? If not, I would contact the Ford 800# and open case claim against them so your Mustang can be fixed properly. After all, you paid (or are paying) for it with your hard earned $$$, why drive around a brand new vehicle with damaged components from someone else’s lack of respect?

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
OP, check this thread out - you should be able to pull the digital cluster yourself and try to see, find or isolate any rattles coming from behind it - instead of taking it to the Dealer. It’s not a difficult task to remove the cluster and you won’t damage anything:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99275

Onto the other subject:
If the Dealership or Tech damaged your Mustang or interior components, did they replace those damaged parts to make you whole?? If not, I would contact the Ford 800# and open case claim against them so your Mustang can be fixed properly. After all, you paid (or are paying) for it with your hard earned $$$, why drive around a brand new vehicle with damaged components from someone else’s lack of respect?
Yes, they fixed the damaged parts. Although I had to drop a bad review to get everything resolved. A good service rep makes all the difference.

I'm not one that typically complains either.
Sponsored