Sponsored

Help with HP tuners

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So I have a tuner trying to pull some timing out of my calibration to help with the knock my nGauge logs. He is sending me files to download to my nGauge, but the car is not responding to the changes he is making. He is saying the car is not commanding what his tune is telling it to. My car was tuned by a local guy using HP tuners software and he installed the calibration from his laptop as he didn't know how to use my nGauge. I am wondering if since the local guy wrote the calibration and installed it using native HPTuners software from his computer, if that makes it so the .enc files that the Ngauge uses not work? Anyone have a clue about this. Hopefully I'm making sense.
Sponsored

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Not how it works, the background software is the same, when you go to upload an HP Tuners based tune, you extract it to encore format, which is what the nGuage needs to have. But shouldn't be any issue doing so.

How did the latest tuner get a copy of base tune done by your local tuner? Also, are you sure you saved the right file from your new tuner to the nGauge and loaded the correct tune? Sounds like you just keep uploading your original tune. Are you getting any failure messages on the nGauge when you load the new .enc files?

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Not how it works, the background software is the same, when you go to upload an HP Tuners based tune, you extract it to encore format, which is what the nGuage needs to have. But shouldn't be any issue doing so.

How did the latest tuner get a copy of base tune done by your local tuner? Also, are you sure you saved the right file from your new tuner to the nGauge and loaded the correct tune? Sounds like you just keep uploading your original tune. Are you getting any failure messages on the nGauge when you load the new .enc files?
The local tuner gave me an .enc file after he was all done with my car. I found the instructions on how to save the .hpt file as a .enc and told the tuner about it. I gave this .enc file to the new guy working on the calibration. He gave up on modifying that tune and wrote his own from scratch just because the car would not react to the timing changes. I know I'm installing the correct latest calibtration as ive been doing it for a while now. This last time I deleted all the custom files out of the Ngauge directory and only put the latest one in the folder. No errors while installing it, it seems to be working fine except the car will not update to the new timing or newest calibration as far as I can tell. I know the Ngauge works, I installed an update from the latest guy 2 weeks ago to get rid of a hot startup issue and that update fixed that problem. But now that we are trying to get rid of the knock it won't take the changes that he's trying to make to the timing. I was half worried that the guy with the laptop was somehow able to change something on the car outside of the calibration that would prevent timing changes.

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Do you have HP tuners? Sending you a PM

Papabearob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT performance pack w/ Recaros
Does the tuner tune 2015+ mustangs? If not he may just be adjusting Optimum power timing in the timing tables which does nothing on our cars. He needs to adjust the tables that are weighted under WOT which you find out when datalogging the timing table weights. 2014 and below for the most part only reference OP when at WOT. So it may have nothing to do with the file being downloaded and more to do with incorrect tune adjustments.

Sponsored

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
I am also betting on the new tuner not knowing his way around the 2015+ tune

Rick@LASTREETCARS

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lastreetcars.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP - Procharged and Built
I am also betting on the new tuner not knowing his way around the 2015+ tune
Yea...if he's not completely up on the complexity of the layouts for these cars in HP Tuners, he may have a learning curve and making changes in the wrong areas possibly.

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks guys. Supposed to be a pretty good tuner for the new 5.0. Should have probably waited for him to get back to me, just get kind of anxious and nervous when it's something I can't work on myself. Crossing my fingers.

Papabearob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT performance pack w/ Recaros
That's why I specified 2015+. The 5.0 in the 11-14 PCM is way different when tuning on the 15s. VCT adjustments, timing control and electronic throttle control is way different on the 2015+ 5.0 among many other changes like adding IMRC along with normal changes on how the PCM does things so even if he's a good tuner for the coyote he might have no experience on the 2015+. Just a thought but I do hope you get it all sorted out!

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
That's why I specified 2015+. The 5.0 in the 11-14 PCM is way different when tuning on the 15s. VCT adjustments, timing control and electronic throttle control is way different on the 2015+ 5.0 among many other changes like adding IMRC along with normal changes on how the PCM does things so even if he's a good tuner for the coyote he might have no experience on the 2015+. Just a thought but I do hope you get it all sorted out!
Thanks. Yep I meant the newest 5.0 not the old new 5.0. Lol. From what I gather he's tuned plenty of 15+ GTs.

Sponsored

kris5597

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Thanks. Yep I meant the newest 5.0 not the old new 5.0. Lol. From what I gather he's tuned plenty of 15+ GTs.
No offense but those words can ruin peoples day if he doesn't know exactly what he is doing, especially on a F/I car.

There are many ignition compensation tables that will effect the end result ignition advance the engine ends up running, if he is adjusting timing and the car is not showing the adjustment, then he is missing something, something important. Either he is adjusting the OP ignition table previously mentioned, or has not properly dialed in the borderline ignition mapped points associated with WOT input, or there are many other variables this could be. Either way, this sounds like a recipe for disaster and I hope you/ he get it fixed asap.

Kris

Jn2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Based on what you have said in the replies so far, It would seem your new tuner is not adjusting the correct tables to deal with WOT spark. IIRC the nGauge does not log map point weight, so he is prob adjusting spark blindly, or he is adjusting MBT spark and not borderline like he should be, and if he is doing borderline, he might not be adjusting the correct map(s)....going to be hard to tell with out looking at the file
Sponsored