Sponsored

Help.....noise in front

Mattg7890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I installed BMR front sway bar and SP089 front springs. I also did the rear upgrades but no issue there yet. I now have a clunk in the front when it rolls forward and I hit the brakes. I can push it and have the wife hit the brakes and the noise is there. Any thoughts of what to check?

I have checked the sway bar and centered it better....wasn't it.
I found the strut bearing nut to be loose but tightened it.....maybe not enough? I don't want to impact that nut anymore.
Checked the torque of the nuts and bolts and were good.

I am sure it is a newbie mistake but anyone else's knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang Ecoboost
Did you take the brakes apart when you swapped the suspension components?

I had an issue with brake grinding noise after installing springs. I was sure it was coming from the front, and disassembled both front suspension and brakes. found nothing.

The rear outer pad on the drivers side as worn through to the backing plate at 25k.

Front clunking under brake application sounds to me like upper strut bearing stack not being seated, maybe? check the number of threads sticking out of the upper retainer nut of the strut, and see if they are different?

Did you use the rubber isolator on the bottom of the spring where it meets the strut?

Does it clunk or make noise when turning the wheel lock to lock?

Last edited:

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, do you have any pictures post install? I'm curious which hole on the strut you used for the swaybar end-link.

OP
OP

Mattg7890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I took the caliper off but did not disassemble the brakes. Car only has 1400 miles. I believe the sway bar end link is in the same factory location and the center hole on the sway bar. I can post a picture later when I put it back on the lift and check it out again. I was hoping to clear this up so I can move on to the Whipple install. I don't want to compound my issues. One thing at a time.

OP
OP

Mattg7890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
The clunking sounds like something is moving that shouldn't be when I apply the brakes. I only drove a few miles and did notice it slightly when hitting bumps in the road. But definitely when the brakes are applied.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mattg7890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Checked the caliper bolts this morning. Torqued to 85 ft/lbs. The thought crossed my mind that maybe I forgot to torque them down but alas no dice on that. The noise almost sounds like it is coming from the strut like the nut isn't tightened down completely. Looking like the struts will come back out for a thorough inspections. Wasn't looking forward to possibly having to get new nuts and bolts again.

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
^No need to replace the nuts and bolts. They will be fine. Best of luck on finding your issue.

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didnt replace those bolts, although most probably will.

I would look at the shock shaft to strut bearing. My koni's had a washer stack that has to go in right, thats why I was suggesting you look at the top nuts and see if there was a diference in stack height.

That's a stretch, but would be where I would start.

OP
OP

Mattg7890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
After pounding the original set out, the threads were damaged. I had to replace them. I hope this set comes out easier. Considering they were only in for a week, they should be easier then the first ones.

Sponsored

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Sway bar endlinks not tighten enough? It does have enough gap to cause a clunking noise if not tighten enough.

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I stopped pounding these out after the first time... it sucked, my condo neighbors were not pleased. ;)

I use this now. easy peasy, and no noise, unless you drop it on your foot...

OP
OP

Mattg7890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Got one.....I will use it this time. No neighbors for noise problems for me. Country life with big barn....toy box.

Mootang......checked torque on end links with caliper bolts. Thought the same but wasn't the case. Somehow, it seems to keep pointing to the struts.

OP
OP

Mattg7890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Problem solved.....following BMR install I lowered the front lower arm. What I didn't do was load the suspension before I torqued it down. Dumb@$$.....was reading through Ford service manuals for every little detail. Don't know why I thought I should torque it without loading but I did.....now I lost three days of work from my idiocy. Live and learn..lol. Won't forget that ever again. I loaded the rear. Just didn't think about the front because I thought I didn't take any bushings loose....duh. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is the "reclocking" the bushing procedure. Im glad you got it sorted!
Sponsored