Sponsored

Help with ford performance hood strut install

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
In regards to the Star washer does this sit on top of the fender hole or do you have to wedge it inside the hole?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Disregard. Figured it out. Star washer goes on inside if hole. Along with 2 posts towards firewall on drivers side. For any one wondering.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Correct-a-mundo.

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well that was a fairly easy “mod”. But believe it or not it took me a couple hours. I Didn’t want to mess the hole up on the battery cover so I made sure I had a proper hole saw and also didn’t want to lose any pieces in the fender like so many have. So I took my time. But it came out perfect in the end. Now just to touch up the bolts since the paint stripped a little when taking them off from the ratchet.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I put one of my Redline hood struts on upside down. Don't ask, lol.

Sponsored

20mustang16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave Deluca
Vehicle(s)
2019. Mustang gt pp2 D.O.A. LEMON
I threw mine in the trash and bought redline struts way better set up the fastening system on the Ford kit was crap !

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I threw mine in the trash and bought redline struts way better set up the fastening system on the Ford kit was crap !
Is there even a way to disconnect the struts from the hardware once they click in. Seems pretty much locked.

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you guys actually use a torque wrench or did you just tighten it with a ratchet.

slowrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Did you guys actually use a torque wrench or did you just tighten it with a ratchet.
I did not use a torque wrench, I just tightened and then went a quarter turn and checked them a day and then a week after. I was afraid of snapping off of the bolt like some people did.

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Is there even a way to disconnect the struts from the hardware once they click in. Seems pretty much locked.
You really need to yank them to get them off but they will come off. I cut a slot out of my battery cover so I can pull the cover without pulling the hood strut (stupidest design ever).

Sponsored
OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did not use a torque wrench, I just tightened and then went a quarter turn and checked them a day and then a week after. I was afraid of snapping off of the bolt like some people did.
Well that’s great because I used a torque wrench to check it and snapped the bolt right off at 20lbs of torque which is what ford suggests. Lol. So now I called ford to bring it in. I’m hoping this is an easy fix.

Last edited:

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
The reviews on ford kit scared me off.several folks said the hood rippled when closing.so I returned mine for a redline from cj.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
They just pop off. They likely won't last more than three years. My 300C was on its third set when I traded it. My Ram's on its second set. Just make sure someone's holding the hood when you pop 'em loose. One strut is not enough to hold the hood up.

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They just pop off. They likely won't last more than three years. My 300C was on its third set when I traded it. My Ram's on its second set. Just make sure someone's holding the hood when you pop 'em loose. One strut is not enough to hold the hood up.
The hood is fine with the 3 bolts. No less stable but we shall see. Bringing to my shop tomorrow. I’m thinking drilling through the welded stub with a new slightly smaller bolt is the fix and just forgetting about the hood struts. On another note this made me think more about replacing the hood which was already thinking about. Lol.

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
Of note i did not take note of windshield washer line and ended up smashing it in strut when hood closed. Completely blocked off fluid. Lessons learned. So far nothing wrong with Ford kit.
Sponsored