Help with carplay/android update

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
So I've read up on this before getting the new hub. My sync is already updated using cyanlabs to one of the newest versions.

Had dealer order the part, part # hc3z-19a387a (it is now "E" instead of A

Removed old unit which is pictured and has 2 USB holes for the factory harnesses.

20210711_144402.jpg

Looking at new one using part above, it only has 1 USB port so 1 of the harnesses won't plug in.

20210711_144319.jpg

Confused on what's going on. I did notice that the part # on the actual piece is different then the bag it came in

16260293061349078625321433738565.jpg

But I also googled the part # I typed from on Amazon and looked at the back of the unit via provided pics and it only has 1 USB port to plug the harnesses into.

Soooo.. any idea what's going on?

Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
Blwnsmoke

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Ok, to add more to the story, I figured lets plug in the one harness that will fit and see if it works. Sure enough, it works and Android Auto comes up along with many other options (amazon music, calendar, messaging etc). Tried the front USB and doesn't work (obviously because one harness can't be plugged in.

Plugged the original unit back in and tried it, sure enough, Android Auto loaded again and can access everything. Unplugged from the arm rest console and plugged into the USB port under the radio and once again, Android Auto launched.

So now I'm even more confused on why it's working on a 2018 with the factory hub unit where I believe it was 2019+ models. Only thing I can think of if I'm correct with the above assertion is that the previous owner like other things, changed it out previously.

Now to see if the dealer will take it back and blame the part number on the unit not matching the bag.

PS - Yes once again I'm an idiot for not trying it first lol. But everything I read was that you needed to upgrade the usb hub so... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Does your new hub have one USB-A or two?

There were two models of this, one had 2 USB-A ports (talking the externally facing side), so you plugged in the power harness and the Mini-USB data line and the two (in the armrest console) were both active for power and data.

4-pin Power >> HUBA
Mini-USB controller >> HUB
HUB >> 2 Ports

There was another version with one USB-A port, had the power harness, one Mini-USB to connect to the central controller and a second Mini-USB that was intended to power/provide data to the single USB port under the center stack.

4-pin Power >> HUBA
Mini-USB to center stack >> HUB
HUB >> 1 Port

I did this on my '16 and used the same hub you have (which at the time years ago, was an F150 part).

OP
OP
Blwnsmoke

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Does your new hub have one USB-A or two?

There were two models of this, one had 2 USB-A ports (talking the externally facing side), so you plugged in the power harness and the Mini-USB data line and the two (in the armrest console) were both active for power and data.

4-pin Power >> HUBA
HUB >> 2 Ports

There was another version with one USB-A port, had the power harness, one Mini-USB to connect to the central controller and a second Mini-USB that was intended to power/provide data to the single USB port under the center stack.

4-pin Power >> HUBA
Mini-USB to center stack >> HUB
HUB >> 1 Port

I did this on my '16 and used the same hub you have (which at the time years ago, was an F150 part).
So the hub that was there that works is a single. The new one is a dual usb hub but only has the one plug outlet on the back for the factory harness. The black cable and thin wire the lights up the ring both snap in. The grey wire which powers the front hub can't plug in. This is the new one.

16260452811657405885891809711475.jpg
16260453068206220802184053546095.jpg

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
So the hub that was there that works is a single. The new one is a dual usb hub but only has the one plug outlet on the back for the factory harness. The black cable and thin wire the lights up the ring both snap in. The grey wire which powers the front hub can't plug in. This is the new one.
Right, that's exactly what I explained above, the 2-port being the first one I described. That works, as 2 USB ports in the armrest console, and doesn't have the provision for the front port - it's technically the wrong part.

The right part has a single USB port and and a second internal Mini-USB to drive the center stack port.

I used the part you posted for years in my '16 because I didn't care about the center stack port. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Blwnsmoke

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Right, that's exactly what I explained above, the 2-port being the first one I described. That works, as 2 USB ports in the armrest console, and doesn't have the provision for the front port - it's technically the wrong part.

The right part has a single USB port and and a second internal Mini-USB to drive the center stack port.

I used the part you posted for years in my '16 because I didn't care about the center stack port. :)
Gotcha, I get it now.

So I ordered the right part but the wrong part was in the bag?

Regardless, everything works as it should which is weird so will try to return it to the dealer.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Gotcha, I get it now.

So I ordered the right part but the wrong part was in the bag?

Regardless, everything works as it should which is weird so will try to return it to the dealer.
If the dealer won't take it back, I'll trade you my OEM single port USB which has the 2nd connection on the back for the front USB port. I've been wanting to have a dual USB in the armrest for a long time. My front USB will be covered up by my DSP controller. PM me if you need to go that route.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
All that stuff works in my '17, and I've never had to change any parts.
Sponsored