cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
So I installed a pair of Roush AB's yesterday, and everything seems to be ok except the tips are almost touching the left side of the valance hole where the tips stick out. I took it to an exhaust shop and the guy said I may need to cut about 1/4" off more of the stock piping. Does that seem right to you all?
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I would trust someone with exhaust experience who has put their hands on your car over random people from the internet who can't even see your car.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Wait...on both sides? If it's just the left side then yeah, considering the sharp angle the exhaust takes to where the axle-back hooks in, shortening the stock pipe a bit will slide the tip towards the right/inside of the valance without changing the depth that much (though make sure the ab is on all the way, might be able to loosen the clamp and push it on more to adjust it without cutting).

I think this will show you what I'm talking about.

If it's too far left on the right side of the car too, then the stock might have been cut too much, but you should be able to loosen the clamps and just slide it out a bit to align the tip without causing any issues.

OP
OP
cyclonetron

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ahh, yeah you made it sound like both sides were faring to the left. That just looks like you either undercut the stock exhaust or the axle-backs aren't shoved on far enough over the stock. There is some play in how far you need to shove them on, so if they're on as far as they can go, just measure what you need on each side to make it fit properly, re-cut, file, and put them on again.

It's more work but you're better off that you undercut first. Measure twice and cut once and all that, but if unsure, cut less, because you can always cut more.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cyclonetron

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Ahh, yeah you made it sound like both sides were faring to the left. That just looks like you either undercut the stock exhaust or the axle-backs aren't shoved on far enough over the stock. There is some play in how far you need to shove them on, so if they're on as far as they can go, just measure what you need on each side to make it fit properly, re-cut, file, and put them on again.

It's more work but you're better off that you undercut first. Measure twice and cut once and all that, but if unsure, cut less, because you can always cut more.

Ok thanks for the reply. I was a bit unsure of what to do so I'll go ahead and remeasure and cut accordingly. Do you think I should take the entire stock exhaust out to cut off, or should it be doable still bolted up?

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's just my opinion and looking at CJ's video so you might want a second opinion to confirm what's up before you continue. As far as on the car or not, cutting the original on the car is easier because it's attached in 2 different places (like how I just cut out my resonator) so there shouldn't be much movement. Just trimming it, however, I don't know if it's going to move around at all. Obviously way less work to just leave it on there and cut it if you can get it stable. Extra pair of hands or cinch it to something solid, dunno.

OP
OP
cyclonetron

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Well I cut a 1/4” off the left side and now there’s no gap between the stock and axle back but it didn’t really move over all that much to the right. I tried to get the right axle back off but by gollie it was on there tight so I just left it as is. I pulled the tips out a bit to help reduce the drone and it seems perfect now.
Sponsored