Sponsored

Axle back exhaust '15 v6

sharansunkara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Premium
Hey guys,
I am planning on installing an axle back exhaust to my 15 v6. I have a local muffler shop here in Jackson, MS who says he can do it. I had my 93 Camaro done at this shop years ago, but we are dealing with a brand new Stang here. So my question is should I let him do it? what are my options? I don't have a lift, tools or anything like that. I need advise. Thanks.
Sponsored

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Hey guys,
I am planning on installing an axle back exhaust to my 15 v6. I have a local muffler shop here in Jackson, MS who says he can do it. I had my 93 Camaro done at this shop years ago, but we are dealing with a brand new Stang here. So my question is should I let him do it? what are my options? I don't have a lift, tools or anything like that. I need advise. Thanks.
I had a local shop put on my cat back and he had it on in about 45mins with no problems. Even though it's the first mustang with IRS, these shops have been doing installs on cameros and such so I'm sure its not hard for them to figure out. How much are they charging you just out of curiosity? Mine was $100

Highwayman

Been there.. Done that..
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kraig
Vehicle(s)
15 OW Base GT/PP/Recarros,Built STI,Built Jeep JK
Why not? It's an axle-back, not engine build. I don't see a big deal. Just some pipe bending and welding, if there's no aftermarket. If you had good luck before with the shop, makes it an even easier choice for ya.

OP
OP
sharansunkara

sharansunkara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Premium
I havent asked for a quote yet, I do not have the part either so I am hoping they can get the part as well.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I would image it would be around $100-$200 in labor. My bill of materials is included in my exhaust thread which should give you a ballpark estimate of a completed axleback. PM me if you have any questions about how I did my exhaust!

Link to thread: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12607

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
sharansunkara

sharansunkara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Premium
Zackmd Thanks a lot man! I will have them try to copy your design, hopefully it will sound as good as yours.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Zackmd Thanks a lot man! I will have them try to copy your design, hopefully it will sound as good as yours.
Awesome! Like I said let me know if they have any questions! Especially about the resonator tube.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome! Like I said let me know if they have any questions! Especially about the resonator tube.
You should get the rights OK'd by Dynomax and sell them!

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
What does the resonator tube do? does it decrease drone?
Yes, you will notice a significant amount of drone from about 1750 to about 2250 rpm without the resonator. The resonator creates a sound wave to cancel out most of the drone in this range. 33 inches long creates the right frequency to target 2k but the range above and below 2k is determined by the diameter of the resonator tubing. In my bill of materials I state that 1.75 inch tubing was used to create the resonator. After putting a few miles on the build I would increase this diameter to about 2 inches. Currently my system is canceling out drone about 250rpm below 2k and 250rpm above. 2 inches should be sufficient to cover about 350-400rpm below and above 2k. Does your 6 have the 3.55 gear ratio or 3.15 ratio?

Last edited:

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
You should get the rights OK'd by Dynomax and sell them!
I have actually really thought about this! I wouldn't know how to go about do so though...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have actually really thought about this! I wouldn't know how to go about do so though...
I'd think you just need to talk to them about trademark licensing. I doubt they'd say no to the free press of their part included in an exhaust kit.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Hey Zack, how do I determine what gears I have ?
Awesome on getting that axleback done! Looking forward to the video! As for the gear ratios.. The easiest way to tell is by looking at your window sticker if you kept it. It will say 3.55 gear ratio under the options. The second easiest way is to pay attention to what rpm you are at with highway speeds (70mph). If it is above 2000rpm you have 3.55's, below 2000rpm and you have 3.15's.
Sponsored