Mike Clark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar XF SportBrake, Jeep Renegade, GT 'vert
Help

Direct Line, having previously been given a COMPLETE list of mods (GT350 Steering Wheel, GT Decklid, Hood Lift kit, Windbreak, FPR Oil separator, Steeda Jacking Rails and Stripes) before I took the policy out, have just (as I tried to purchase a Green Card for a trip to France) decided that they no longer wish to insure the Mustang.

Recommendations please?

Mike
Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
a-plan just done mine with them includes euro cover too

Jimmy Pancakes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue Mustang GT -ordered 22/5/16
Got A-Plan last week with all my mods and euro cover. Quite pleased with dealing with them, very helpful.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
A-Plan are good, they don't insure under 25's though, so if you're of that age, don't bother (They can but it's expensive)

I'm surprised directline decided now they don't want to insure, insurers are such spackers.

OP
OP

Mike Clark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Thanks chaps

After 40mins on the call, they have now changed their minds as none of the mods are performance enhancing (well other than my red stripes - as a Shadow Black with Satin Red stripes is obviously the fastest colour combo)

She told me that the underwriters decided that they had issues with the: Decklid, Hood Lift Kit, Oil separator and jacking rails as they either weren't in their "system" or they couldn't find a UK equivalent. However it's all now squared away.

I don't think I'll bother with an H pipe or Wheels until next year, cos it sounds like it will be far too much hassle if I phone back.

Can't wonder that people don't declare stuff, cos when you do and they suddenly change their minds, you're up a creak without a paddle.

Sponsored

RobMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 V8 Fastback Manual
Thanks chaps

After 40mins on the call, they have now changed their minds as none of the mods are performance enhancing (well other than my red stripes - as a Shadow Black with Satin Red stripes is obviously the fastest colour combo)

She told me that the underwriters decided that they had issues with the: Decklid, Hood Lift Kit, Oil separator and jacking rails as they either weren't in their "system" or they couldn't find a UK equivalent. However it's all now squared away.

I don't think I'll bother with an H pipe or Wheels until next year, cos it sounds like it will be far too much hassle if I phone back.

Can't wonder that people don't declare stuff, cos when you do and they suddenly change their minds, you're up a creak without a paddle.
Pleased you got it sorted Mike, try A-Plan when renewal comes round.They "understand" more than mainstream companies.

OP
OP

Mike Clark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=20131]Manders Mustang[/MENTION] - Touch Wood, in 20 years of using DL, they've been great. But I agree and made the point (in a pleading tone) to the lady on the phone that I had pre-checked everything prior to taking out the policy (which was not cheap), so it was simply "not cricket" to suddenly cancel it.

Next year I will be getting quotes from A-Plan, as I don't fancy the stress of that again!

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Always a stressful experience i find. Would love to know what exactly their issue was with a bloody deck lid! Interesting to see though what some people declare though...

I, for example, declared my springs/spacers but didn't mention the grilles I swapped out at the same time. To me that is the same as changing the gear knob. Is there any guidelines as to what you NEED to tell your insurers about? I really have no clue.

OP
OP

Mike Clark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
According to them, I need to inform them about anything that is on the car that it didn't come off the factory line with. As if there was a claim on the car, they will only put it back to how it came off the line, which potentially means you could be £££ out if you've got stuff on you don't declare. They could also refuse to pay-out on a claim if they find undeclared stuff, or demand more money (for a higher premium) before they do.

As part of declaring the mods I had to supply the pricing of everything, and declare whether it was manufacturer fitted (springs & wind stop were) or fitted by 3rd party or myself.

They didn't like Decklid as they couldn't find "Deck Lid", "Plastic Panel" or "Exterior Trim" on their system. The Wind Stop didn't exist, but we agreed on "Wind Deflector". The hood lift kit they had massive issues with - even thou my Jag XF has one as standard. The only "lift kit" they could find was for suspension!

The other stuff they couldn't find is now listed in the policy notes, but won't appear on the schedule.

I have to say that my old Caterham's insurer's were great: It only had a stripe and an FIA master key, and they just said "well most Caterham's have that, so not to worry!" A pity that that insurer will only insure an "American" vehicle that is over 5 years old.

Last edited:

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 GT Auto Fastback Black
The mythical "underwriters" are probably 16 yr old interns on work experience :mad:

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
The mythical "underwriters" are probably 16 yr old interns on work experience :mad:
"let me speak to the underwriters"

10 seconds later...

"hey.... computer said no"

:frusty::frusty::frusty:!

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Used to work for a large insurer in their South London service centre (in Dundee), in the claims dept. We were run off our feet whereas the underwriters seemed to just lounge around all day scratching their ar*es. The extents we were encouraged to go to to knock back claims were just too unpalatable so I only stuck it for 6 months.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
According to them, I need to inform them about anything that is on the car that it didn't come off the factory line with. As if there was a claim on the car, they will only put it back to how it came off the line, which potentially means you could be £££ out if you've got stuff on you don't declare. They could also refuse to pay-out on a claim if they find undeclared stuff, or demand more money (for a higher premium) before they do.

As part of declaring the mods I had to supply the pricing of everything, and declare whether it was manufacturer fitted (springs & wind stop were) or fitted by 3rd party or myself.

They didn't like Decklid as they couldn't find "Deck Lid", "Plastic Panel" or "Exterior Trim" on their system. The Wind Stop didn't exist, but we agreed on "Wind Deflector". The hood lift kit they had massive issues with - even thou my Jag XF has one as standard. The only "lift kit" they could find was for suspension!

The other stuff they couldn't find is now listed in the policy notes, but won't appear on the schedule.

I have to say that my old Caterham's insurer's were great: It only had a stripe and an FIA master key, and they just said "well most Caterham's have that, so not to worry!" A pity that that insurer will only insure an "American" vehicle that is over 5 years old.
what a pain, just asked my insurance about the springs and spacers and they were fine, and its now on my policy with the exhaust. and no extra dosh

dwaine dibbley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 Coupe 2016
Quick question re A Plan.

Is there a particular office that is best to call for Mustang insurance, or do you just call the nearest branch to home?

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
There is a difference between telling them about things you want paying out for and things that they may think affect performance or nickability. I haven't told mine about things like the decklid or steering wheel because if the car gets totalled that's the least of my worries and they are cosmetic. DL have normal mods like exhaust and stripes on their database, it's always best not to confuse your insurer.
Sponsored