Help! Car stuck in park...not the break switch

Sph88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
2019 Gt 10r80. I bought the car new then was in an accident with it. Long story short it was totaled and I bought it back from Copart. Car ran and shifted after accident. Now that I’ve gotten it back it is currently stuck on my trailer because it will not come out of park. The indicator in the dash isn’t lit up to show what gear it is in either. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated... also it isn’t the brake switch. I can watch the white lever move back and fourth when I press the brake. Tried manually moving the linkage and I feel like I’m going to break something.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sph88

Sph88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Well I figured out a way around it. Had to disconnect the shift cable from the transmission to manually change gears on the transmission itself. Hopefully get this car off the trailer finally. I’m guessing something is going on with the shifter itself.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I was going to say try to pop off the center console “SYNC” plate around the shifter. From there you can then disengage the shifter interlocking device - and will be able to manually shift the trans into “N” without the car having to be running. See attached info from the 2018 owners manual regarding the “Brake Shift Interlock”.

I also wanted to ask after reading your mention of it, since you did a Ins. buyback of the wrecked vehicle, what did the Ins. Co. charge you for the Buy Back (ACV) value?

Was the car in drivable shape before it went to Copart?
6894DE2A-426A-4942-8514-8F90D8CBDB59.jpeg
2342F9E0-9481-48CC-BC15-D57E3A7EDE47.jpeg

OP
OP
Sph88

Sph88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I was going to say try to pop off the center console “SYNC” plate around the shifter. From there you can then disengage the shifter interlocking device - and will be able to manually shift the trans into “N” without the car having to be running. See attached info from the 2018 owners manual regarding the “Brake Shift Interlock”.

I also wanted to ask after reading your mention of it, since you did a Ins. buyback of the wrecked vehicle, what did the Ins. Co. charge you for the Buy Back (ACV) value?

Was the car in drivable shape before it went to Copart?
6894DE2A-426A-4942-8514-8F90D8CBDB59.jpeg
2342F9E0-9481-48CC-BC15-D57E3A7EDE47.jpeg
Hey thanks for the response. I tried pulling the sync plate off and that little lever engages and disengages properly so I’m not sure what is going on. Actually I tried to buy it back from the insurance company but they wanted some ridiculous amount and I can’t remember how they got that number but it was a no go. They ended up paying it off completely and I had to go through the bid war on copart to get it back. It’s going to need work but it still runs and whatnot.

OP
OP
Sph88

Sph88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Hey thanks for the response. I tried pulling the sync plate off and that little lever engages and disengages properly so I’m not sure what is going on. Actually I tried to buy it back from the insurance company but they wanted some ridiculous amount and I can’t remember how they got that number but it was a no go. They ended up paying it off completely and I had to go through the bid war on copart to get it back. It’s going to need work but it still runs and whatnot.
Driver airbags deployed so I guess it depends on what you mean by “driveable” lol
Sponsored