Sponsored

Help: '18 GT has clicking noise when I turn steering wheel

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Couldn’t replicate? Not an issue with my car, it does it every time whether reversing or moving forward. Slow speeds and turning wheels, you’re gonna hear the clicking to the point it turns heads from people standing nearby.
They gave me the same BS the first time, brought it back and told them it had gotten worse, more noticeable which it had.
Exactly. I kinda rolled my eyes and said I’d be back, I’m sure.

The steering tech said it was because the bump stops were metal and not rubber and that was the noise
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10

The steering tech said it was because the bump stops were metal and not rubber and that was the noise
When I first heard it months ago, I thought it might be the metal bump stop issue. I got under the car and couldn’t find any bumpstops at all. I just checked again and, nope. I figure the travel limits are built into the rack. Am I crazy?

Juiced35th

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David Luke
Vehicle(s)
19 PP GT
My 2019 is doing this as well.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
When I first heard it months ago, I thought it might be the metal bump stop issue. I got under the car and couldn’t find any bumpstops at all. I just checked again and, nope. I figure the travel limits are built into the rack. Am I crazy?
I’m gonna check it myself too this weekend.

I heard it creak again today when I went over a speed bump. So I’m leaning towards the strut bearing mounts even more now.

grue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Base GT + PP1
  • I have the same issue. Picked up my 2018 gt pp1 last Monday with 300 miles on it. Came from a dealer about 100 miles away. Accelerometer shows .64g accel, .64 left/right and 1.09 braking. Damn. Man I hope it wasn’t beat like that every test drive..
Anyway, same noise noticed when I pulled out of dealers garage and ever since then. Clicking when turning sharp left or right at parking speeds and even very minor bumps in pavement.

Sponsored

LGNDLVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 SPD PREM MAGNETIC METALLIC

And he still works there????? WOW I am due for an oil change soon so I will address it AGAIN when I go. ill let you know...

regular6g

Threads
Reaction score
Just picked up GT PP1 built 6/2018 and have clicking as well. On tight turns at low speed lock to lock steering wheel. I have 1200 miles did it from day one. Other thing I have is an air leak upper left at top of windshield where I see what appears to be an opening where seam sealer stops before end of seam. Otherwise, can't believe the difference between my 2005, 2007, 2008, GTs
,S. Kids gone now time for Me just a little . Loooove this car.

lexxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I also have it. 2018 GT PP. 300 miles on it. I can hear that noise. It happens even when car is standing still, by just turning a steering wheel from to the most left/right position. Am I right, that is definitely not OK, and I should go to the dealer?

regular6g

Threads
Reaction score
I also have it. 2018 GT PP. 300 miles on it. I can hear that noise. It happens even when car is standing still, by just turning a steering wheel from to the most left/right position. Am I right, that is definitely not OK, and I should go to the dealer?
I have an appointment on Friday, I'm guessing a bulletin from Ford to the Dealers will soon come out and reveal some parts out of spec, or assembly flaw, but they will have a population of build dates and numbers to narrow down the units affected, I like others here will post my diagnosis. All should do the same.

LGNDLVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took it in for an oil change (2nd one)and to check steering clicking. I don't want to jinx it, but after about 2-3 hours of going through everything under the car and half a dozen test drives, the mechanic said he found it. 2 subframe bolts were not torqued correctly. One was "pretty loose". he torqued them and no more clicking. 4 days so far and no noise. we shall see. Oh, and this was a different dealer service dept.

Sponsored

LGNDLVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good question. I really didn't ask him which ones. Sorry bout that...

regular6g

Threads
Reaction score
Yes I'd like to know, I'll tighten myself and keep any potential scratches or greasy door pulls off the car from service Techs.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Exactly. I got under mine tonight and found 7 bolts to check on one side and none of them were loose.

I don’t want a tech killing themselves in my car. Seriously.

LGNDLVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly. I got under mine tonight and found 7 bolts to check on one side and none of them were loose.

I don’t want a tech killing themselves in my car. Seriously.
I called and left a message for my svc writer to ask mech if he remembers. I let you know
Sponsored