Sponsored

Help: '18 GT has clicking noise when I turn steering wheel

ThugHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT; 2017 Explorer Sport (The wife's)
My '18 GT started having a clicking noise when turning the steering wheel. Car has 4200 miles on the odometer. Stock everything, haven't touched the wheels or tires. No curb checking, nada. Just started making this clicking noise. Most noticeable when traveling at slow speeds or making slow sharp turns into parking spaces, garage, etc. I don't notice any performance difference at high speeds. Here's a link to a video.
Sponsored

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
You know...my '19 does this too. I just hit the 1000mi mark yesterday. I plan on taking it into the dealer on Monday.

Like you it is only at slow speeds and when I cut the wheel hard to either direction like when making a tight turn. Normal driving is just fine.

OP
OP

ThugHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd be interested in what you find out. I went to the dealer a couple days ago and they said I'd have to drop the car off for a few days before they'd even be able to get to it. I couldn't leave it that day and haven't had time to drop it off since.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd be interested in what you find out. I went to the dealer a couple days ago and they said I'd have to drop the car off for a few days before they'd even be able to get to it. I couldn't leave it that day and haven't had time to drop it off since.
I definitely will let ya know. I want to drive it this weekend so that's why I am waiting until Monday.

Its going in for that and a clacking noise (sounds like something with the AC system) when I first start it in the morning.

rickdrews5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Prem / PP
Susp1.jpg
View attachment 305656 Was just at the dealer Friday, This might be the same issue I'm experiencing. Ordered the wrong parts so will be heading back soon. Looks like mine is caused by "Front Strut Bearing Mounts.".........will keep you posted....At least in the mean-time I got the left side of the active exhaust replaced...
View attachment 305631

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Sponsored

LGNDLVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 SPD PREM MAGNETIC METALLIC
forgot to include 2nd page
sus2.jpg
Mine has the same clicking noise. Started around 2000 miles (now have 4800). dealer ordered and replaced the rack and pinion compete. Noise is now worse. The active exhaust, after 3 times at dealer, well it started working again and now only once in a while goes out for a minute or 2. That they have no clue what it is. Other than that I love it..7th one.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Was this resolved? My 2018 pp1 is doing exactly the same thing. I can feel it in the top strut mount. I’m debating on trying to add some oil/grease or even replacing myself since I don’t want just anyone driving my 850 hp car around to “test” it...

rickdrews5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Prem / PP
Was this resolved? My 2018 pp1 is doing exactly the same thing. I can feel it in the top strut mount. I’m debating on trying to add some oil/grease or even replacing myself since I don’t want just anyone driving my 850 hp car around to “test” it...
I am taking my car in Friday and having both replaced. Will post after I pick it up with an update.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
See if you can get the failed part and see what happened to it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ThugHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took my car into Ford dealer for oil change this past Friday and asked if they could take a look at it. I think they greased it or something because it stopped for a few days but the noise is back again.

rickdrews5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Prem / PP
Just picked it up right before close, place was a madhouse and did not get a chance to look at the parts. Noise seems to be gone, tested in driveway where first noticed the noise, did some tight slow turns - seems to be good, Replaced front strut bearing and associated parts. Going to drive it around a bit this weekend to see if all is well. Let me know what you all come up with and if anything changes on my end will do the same.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I picked my car up and they said they couldn’t replicate the noise. Of course.

I mentioned the strut bearing mounts but they said they were fine.

If it continues or gets worse I’ll take it back.

OP
OP

ThugHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couldn’t replicate? Not an issue with my car, it does it every time whether reversing or moving forward. Slow speeds and turning wheels, you’re gonna hear the clicking to the point it turns heads from people standing nearby.

rickdrews5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Prem / PP
I picked my car up and they said they couldn’t replicate the noise. Of course.

I mentioned the strut bearing mounts but they said they were fine.

If it continues or gets worse I’ll take it back.
They gave me the same BS the first time, brought it back and told them it had gotten worse, more noticeable which it had.
Sponsored