Sponsored

Heat wrapped exhaust by Diff?

M3Convert

American Muscle Noob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
Anyone heat-wrapped/heat shielded their exhaust by the diff?

I had an aftermarket exhaust on my M3 and had to heat shield the exhaust by the rubber boots on the differential UJs (the OEM exhaust had welded shields). I was wondering of anyone else had wrapped the exhaust to help keep the diff temperatures down?
Sponsored

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
Yes, I did it after reading about someone else doing it in the "rear diff temp" thread. Cheap insurance against overheating your diff. I bought mine for like $30 from amazon. And it takes 10 minutes to put on.

I don't know how effective it was, but I didn't get any diff temp warnings at last track day (it was 94* outside also). Just wear gloves and long sleeves when installing! Your arms will be itching for a few days after.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I also installed some, but really only as a precaution.

BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thunder Roadster GT-R / ST3
[MENTION=23117]GT_Roadcourse_Newb[/MENTION] did this...

John - have you had a chance to see if any difference made?

I bought the wrap and intended to install it on my last install binge, then I found out that my MBRP exhaust joints had welded themselves together, and it would be too hard to try to wrap with it all together. Gave up fighting them to focus on the other stuff, but will come back to it at some point.

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I have a bunch of this stuff laying around from doing bike exhausts. I'll give it a try. May do it around the transmission area too.

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

noob@cartech,prefer2drive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-PP::2000 Honda s2000::1996 Nissan Maxima
[MENTION=23117]GT_Roadcourse_Newb[/MENTION] did this...

John - have you had a chance to see if any difference made?

I bought the wrap and intended to install it on my last install binge, then I found out that my MBRP exhaust joints had welded themselves together, and it would be too hard to try to wrap with it all together. Gave up fighting them to focus on the other stuff, but will come back to it at some point.
Yep, I wrapped a bunch of the exhaust. I would say that it definitely helped with diff temps. Some exhausts may benefit more than others insofar as proximity of the pipes to the housing.
Sponsored