Sponsored

Headers & CARB

sculptor310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
Wondering what the CA folks were doing with regards to passing inspection with aftermarket headers. Are there any options for upgrading your headers while staying CARB compliant?

Thanks!
Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Wondering what the CA folks were doing with regards to passing inspection with aftermarket headers. Are there any options for upgrading your headers while staying CARB compliant?

Thanks!
https://www.rodauthority.com/featur...ba-exhaust-50-state-legal-short-tube-headers/
https://www.lethalperformance.com/j...l-cat4ward-shorty-headers-natural-finish.html

Anything that is a longtube is illegal because it moves the cat. Even shorties can be illegal, so check for an EO number before buying it.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue

Thanks!
Zilch, nada, not happening. No headers are legal for late model mustangs. When in doubt, ALWAYS get the CARB EO# and then go to the CARB website and look it up. The manufacturers will tell you yes, but look it up. Some lie! I have even caught major supercharger companies making false claims. CARB can shut down a business making false claims. This year they are going after anyone even selling non compliant parts in Ca!

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Even though I don't like this ^ I like your post. And the law doesn't care if you didn't know the manufacturer lied. Emissions citation + time off work + state referee costs + labor costs (or your own time) putting it back to normal = more $ than you paid for the nice headers you now have to take off.

moodywizard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lyle
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Its only illegal if you get caught. Just send it. Have eight years to smog from vehicle mfg/1st sold date.

Sponsored

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
Keep in mind that people telling you it's no problem won't be there to pay your fine or to work on your vehicle getting it back to CARB legal condition. It's also a Federal crime to disable or alter smog equipment.

If you have a smog place that skirts the law then that's your choice and risk. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time and afford the fine. My GT won't be getting headers anytime soon!

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smogfaq#BM2535

OP
OP

sculptor310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
I've heard some folks say that shorty headers with the stock cats can pass smog...again, lots of misinformation and I'm not sure if this is true.

Thanks again for all the responses!!

moodywizard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lyle
Vehicle(s)
In all seriousness unless they have a carb number they are not "legal". Having said that, if you know a "guy" that does not care for visual inspection you will pass the obd portion if you have catted headers and no cel on. You can verify with obd reader if the emission stuff reports ready. I've read mixed stories on non catted headers because most tuners turn off down stream O2 sensors which is a no no for smog. I have ARH catted headers in the garage waiting to be installed fwiw.

Again new law pushed out the smog checks until 8 years from 1st sale date or MFG date (don't know what they go by) so still have a few years not to worry unless you get pulled over and written up.. that's a whole different story.

moodywizard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lyle
Vehicle(s)
I've heard some folks say that shorty headers with the stock cats can pass smog...again, lots of misinformation and I'm not sure if this is true.

Thanks again for all the responses!!

Not enough of a gain from Shorty's to be worth the hasle IMO.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Its only illegal if you get caught. Just send it. Have eight years to smog from vehicle mfg/1st sold date.
Actaully, in California, the first mandated smog is due 6 model years from year of vehicle, not 8.

Sponsored

moodywizard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lyle
Vehicle(s)
I believe that was changed this year to 8. I did read it on the internet though. As always YMMV.

erikkire18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Hellion TT
ANY mod done to the engine is illegal in CA including doing LT's so I suggest if you have a CAI already, might as well add the LT's. Just don't drive to aggressively or rev high all the time.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
While most of that is true, if there is a CARB EO number on it, it's fine. There are some CAI's that have the EO, as well as a number of supercharger kits. No tuners (Unless supplied as part of a CARB kit, e.g. supercharger kits or Ford Performance Packs) though. Forget about cams. Technically head work is probably not legal falling into the "modification" or possibly be stretched to "tampering". That being said, it would be extremely hard for one to know, so long as the computer didn't throw a code (I'm guessing it would as the long term fuel trims would have to be enriched so much that the computer would throw a flag).

I think you really need to figure out what camp you subscribe to:
  1. Screw SMOG, I'm going to do what I want and deal with the consequences if they happen...Or I'll try to register my car elsewhere to avoid SMOG testing...Or I'll sell the car before I have to SMOG it...Or I'll find "A guy..." but ultimately, the first premise still applies if you get pulled over/sent to the REF.
  2. I want to mod here and there, some won't pass SMOG, but I'll choose stuff that won't be noticeable like a CAI or a tune and hope I don't run into problems
  3. I want to mod, but I don't want any stress, so I will only mod with CARB EO products
  4. I won't mod at all, or I'll move to another state
LT Headers, in my opinion, are in the #1 camp. There are no legal LT's, and even if they were, you'd get pulled over and probably sent to the REF because they are so loud. (Yes, you could have a lot of mufflers and so forth downstream, but I don't know of many people who bolt on LT headers and then muffle the crap out of them).
Sponsored