Head gaskets for boosted gen 2

StickShiftyFifty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang pp
Hey guys, I did a search and couldn’t find anything. Just a quick question.
I think I may have a blown head gasket, my car isn’t over heating no coolant in the oil and my cylinder head temps are just fine. But the car is drinking coolant. I don’t really smell it coming out of the exhaust, but I run e85 all the time so I can’t tell the difference in the sweet smell. It anyways I’m leading to head gasket issue. I’m gonna pull the plugs and do a leak down test to make sure.
but anyways my question is what head gasket should I run?
I looked on lethal performance website and they have pro boost head gaskets for a lil over $200. I’ve also heard stock head gaskets work just fine too.
I’ve heard people using gt500 head gaskets but I’m having trouble finding part number for it and when I try to part search, it says it doesn’t fit my vehicle.
im also going to go with arp head studs, it is 11mm correct?
my car is making north of 800 whp on 13psi
Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Cometic gasket works good but stock gaskets with arp studs should be fine. It will not tell you if the gt500 gasket will fit your car but it will fit. Yes 11mm

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
When I lifted a head, I threw it back together with arp head studs and stock head gaskets. Car has seen a 18+ PSI probably 40 times since then and hasn't skipped a beat 👍

I also make it a point to minimize back to back pulls

OP
OP
StickShiftyFifty

StickShiftyFifty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang pp
cool thanks, studs are ordered and going to dealer tomorrow to get the gt500 gaskets

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Are you doing the work? If you don’t have opg/cs now is the time. If you are already there maybe boss tensioners $130ish gt350 primary chains $70

Last edited:

Sponsored

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
cool thanks, studs are ordered and going to dealer tomorrow to get the gt500 gaskets
If you're keep stock short block, use stock head gaskets and arp studs. you'll break a rod before you lift a head again.

This is coming from someone who has also lifted a head. it'll consume some coolant and have high cooling system pressure but won't show much evidence. Leak down and compression test showed everything to be fine because it was only lifting under big loads. also a gen 2 with around 830 whp. The stock 11mm head bolts are no good over 800 whp.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
How can a head gasket made for a 3.700 bore work on an engine with 3.63 bore? I mean, it may work but wouldn't the fire ring built into the head gasket be further away from the chamber??
Do you know how much difference you are talking about? The 3.63 bore you think you know about uses a 3.735 bore gasket. Stick to something you know

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
So based off the cometic website, the 5.2 uses a 95mm (3.740) bore gasket and the 5.0 uses a 94mm (3.700) bore gasket.

Now without measuring the gt500 or stock gasket and basing my theory on the cometic gasket, please explain to me how this is not something relevant?

Don't be ignorant.

Last edited:

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
So based off the cometic website, the 5.2 uses a 95mm (3.740) bore gasket and the 5.0 uses a 94mm (3.700) bore gasket.

Now without measuring the gt500 or stock gasket and basing my theory on the cometic gasket, please explain to me how this is not something relevant?

Don't be ignorant.
This is been beat to death a million times over the last 60 years. The bottom line is it's not a big deal. The aim is to seal the chamber. Head gasket bore can be dictated by the cylinder bore or size of the combustion chamber. As long as the head gasket bore fits within the parameters of each, it's fine. You may find some random detail of .010 over the cylinder bore, but many combinations have been ran with success.

Sponsored

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
This is been beat to death a million times over the last 60 years. The bottom line is it's not a big deal. The aim is to seal the chamber. Head gasket bore can be dictated by the cylinder bore or size of the combustion chamber. As long as the head gasket bore fits within the parameters of each, it's fine. You may find some random detail of .010 over the cylinder bore, but many combinations have been ran with success.
I could understand .010 over bore size but using a 3.700 gasket that's already .040 over over size on a 3.630 is .110 over bore size. Would there be a compression loss or possible point of detonation?

I greatly respect you 80foxcoupe and value your knowledge. Been reading your posts for years.

Im simply wanting to talk technical with people that understand the language. No argument here.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I could understand .010 over bore size but using a 3.700 gasket that's already .040 over over size on a 3.630 is .110 over bore size. Would there be a compression loss or possible point of detonation?

I greatly respect you 80foxcoupe and value your knowledge. Been reading your posts for years.

Im simply wanting to talk technical with people that understand the language. No argument here.
Valid concerns no doubt. Lots of info out there about this specifically. Info that supports detonation is more likely with a HG bore that is close to cylinder bore size, vs HG bore larger. Sure a touch less compression with a larger bore HG but that is likely immeasurable in terms of real world output.

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
Valid concerns no doubt. Lots of info out there about this specifically. Info that supports detonation is more likely with a HG bore that is close to cylinder bore size, vs HG bore larger. Sure a touch less compression with a larger bore HG but that is likely immeasurable in terms of real world output.
This sounds like it would be a good episode of engine masters. lol

Great info and sounds like its irrelevant for the ops needs.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Even at .110 the amount of compression loss would not be enough to measure or enough to effect performance in any way. You will never know the difference

OP
OP
StickShiftyFifty

StickShiftyFifty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang pp
Hate to bring up old topic but just want to make sure...
So I got the GT500 headgaskets from ford,
100% accurate it will work with my stock 2016 5.0 long block?
Sponsored