Hawk in bird bath

Highoctanecobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Yesterday I heard lots of Bluejays being louder than normal. They sometimes get pretty rowdy anyway, but I decided to look what was going on today. I look out the window and this hawk is stilling in the birdbath. (Yes he took a quick bath.) With the birds and squirrels here, I’m sure it’s target rich environment. The bluejays are having a fit about it. So I sneak out onto the porch and walked slowly closerto him and got some pics.

My resident bird expert (my Mom) thinks it might be a Coopers Hawk.
Any experts here know for sure what kind of hawk this is?

1627666375460.jpeg

1627666508934.jpeg

1627666605398.jpeg
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Weird, I had this very thing happen in my yard last weekend. I was sitting on my patio having a beer, and it swooped down and landed on the rim of the bird bath which was only maybe 15' away. He knew I was there and while he got his drink he, well, watched me like a hawk.

I think it's a Cooper's, as likely was the one I saw.

Deleted member 35644

My parents in Florida have a Coopers hanging around their bird feeder. It treated me to a front row seat to a dove killing while I was visiting early this month. I was amazed that the ONLY thing left was a pile of feathers. Skeleton, beak and all was eaten. They don't play.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
We have a couple in my neighborhood as well.
Every once in a while I can feel them fly around me and my Miniature Schnauzer when out in the back yard. I can see their shadows when they fly overhead. I hear them all the time, doing the hawk calls flying around.

OP
OP
Highoctanecobra

Highoctanecobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I was little surprised how close I got for the pics.
I kept an eye on him and moved slowly, hoping he wouldn’t go on the offensive and try to claw my eyes out. Ha ha
Sponsored