Sponsored

Having shifting issues, not sure what to do.

Dark Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramsey
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Hello! So, a few months back, due to a horribly missed shift I broke something in my MT82 and I was not able to go into 5th gear. After that, I decided I never wanted to have shifting issues and sent my trans to Ben calimer for a stage 2 rebuild, bought a spec twin disk clutch, and mgw flat stick shifter. Well about 2 weeks ago, I got it all back together and just got done with the 500 mile break in, however it feels like something is off.

The shifts feel extremely notchy when I'm driving around. I knew there would be a little more effort going into gear however it feels like it's a gated shifter and the gates are misaligned. Like if I am shifting from 3rd to 4th, it feels like I hit a little ledge or a step or something before it slides into gear. It gets a bit worse if I'm doing it at high rpm and trying to shift fast. Missed a gear last night because of it. Now, if I turn the car off and row through the gears, it feels great, feels the way I think it should feel, everything slides into gear smoothly with no steps/ledges or whatever.

Right now in using amsoil 75w-90 gl-4 fluid that Mr. Calimer reccomended, and I have used amsoil oil in the past with good results, however maybe it's not what I should be running? Seems like bg synchro mesh has had good results, however I would have figured amsoil would be up there too.

Another thing to note is that the spec twin disk clutch engages/disengages very high in the peddle stroke. I have bought a RAM pedal adjuster to lower the engagement point closer to the middle the stroke. I'm not sure if the clutch is having any effect on this issue, however I wanted to note it because when the car is off, the shifting actually feels like a "well oiled rifle bolt" as opposed to shifting through jelly and then hitting a step.

Any ideas on what else I can do/try? I've heard some people using inserts and such, however I didn't figure it would be needed with the mgw? Thanks for your time.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
1996 Mustang GT
One thing to start with is air in the slave.

Sometimes it's a pain to get it out of that slave cylinder and can cause this issue.

Let us know if that works and will help get it diagnosed deeper!