Sponsored

Have a Bullitt...Should I get a Mach 1 or a GT350 or just keep what I have?

OP
OP
derklink

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
If you like road course, auto cross and twisty roads the Mach 1 HP is the way to go. Itā€™s basically an improved handling GT350 with a 5.0 in it. If you just do street stuff or straight line runs just keep your bullet And boost it.
There is a new track about 3 hours from me and close to where my in-laws live. I'd love to go there a couple times per year.

OP
OP
derklink

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
I don't see where you mention if you actually do any tracking at all. If not, then IMO a Mach1 or GT350 are not worth it at all. The other question is if its just that you want a gearing change why not go with just putting in a 3.73 for MASSIVELY less money, if its handling a FPP handling kit is also a LOT less.

To me its only worth the change if you are going to MAKE USE of the differences between the vehicles you get and nothing youve said seems to imply you will. You just want to buy something, and you'll end up in a 100% identical interior of a car that has just has more capabilities that you'll never use, as it sounds like you're not even using the abilities of the current car. IMO thats a waste of money.
There is a new track about 3 hours from me and close to where my in-laws live. I'd love to go there a couple times per year. Also, I want to keep my car 100% stock. A valid, though not dominating, argument for a GT350 is value retention IMO. Unique and special car. Most likely, there will never be anything like it again. What I mean is that with as little as I drive, I wouldn't mind having a specialty car that may somewhat retains its value.

Last edited:
OP
OP
derklink

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Keep the Bullitt. It has the same GT350 intake manifold as the Mach 1. IMO, if you really wanted to make it handle like a M1, then you could upgrade the suspension with M1 parts.

If youā€˜re happy with your Bullittā€™s MT82-D4 transmission, then youā€™re all set. If you wanted to improve upon it, you could either upgrade the internals in it or buy a M1 tranny and have it installed. Either way, youā€™ll come out cheaper by keeping the Bullitt, as current vehicle interest rates (even with excellent credit), will have you paying even more on top of sticker price.

On a different note, you donā€™t live in Shawnee KS by chance do you? If so, we may have lived right around the corner from each other off of Lakecrest Dr. There was a Bullitt that I either saw parked in a driveway and/or driving out of the neighborhood as I was driving in a few times.
That's the problem. I want to keep my car completely stock. That is part of the charm to me. I know, sounds weird. I used to mod but don't wanna do that anymore. The MT82-D4 is "ok" and mine has zero issues but the Tremec just feels a lot better. I'm really an "experience" guy. Sound, feel, handling, etc. are more important to me than speed or pure performance.

Not In Shawnee but know the area well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
derklink

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Question: The GT350 gearing is also pretty tall. How is the Mach 1 gearing? I don't mind long-ish gearing as I think our cars are a little easier to handle when going full throttle.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
That's the problem. I want to keep my car completely stock. That is part of the charm to me. I know, sounds weird. I used to mod but don't wanna do that anymore.
Oh, believe me, I get it. I say the same thing to myself whenever I get deep into performing difficult and expensive mods. if itā€™s working for you as is, donā€™t change a thing. I donā€™t know what a low mileage completely factory Bullitt would even be worth in say, 20 years from now, as Iā€™ve never looked into it. I would imagine it would be worth more than average though.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
There is a new track about 3 hours from me and close to where my in-laws live. I'd love to go there a couple times per year.
Theres a fun event in Tulsa in June called the Ford and Shelby nationals. The first two days are spent on Hallett racing circuit. Lots of fun track time, and itā€™s divided into classes so you can run with cars and drivers at your level.

OP
OP
derklink

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
I could pull the trigger on a low miles Mach 1 for a $13k upcharge to my Bullitt. I'm between "this is totally stupid" and "why not - I'm barely losing money on the Bullitt and with all the math done, I'm paying $57k for a Mach 1 that stickered at $60k".

Watched countless YouTube videos Mach 1 vs Shelby. What confuses me is that some people say the Mach feels just like the Shelby (steering and handling) minus the Voodoo, whereas others say the Mach feels just like a GT PP1/Bullitt. They allegedly even sound almost the same.

I remember from test driving the Shelby, that it felt VERY different compared to a GT/Bullitt. It was noticeable how light the front felt and how direct and responsive the steering was. I talked myself out of the Shelby back then because of my driveway clearance issue and because it felt like a race car that belongs on a track rather than the street.

I have to admit that I really like the Shelby history and heritage and "owning a Shelby" is part of that fascination. On the other hand, I always liked the 69-70 Mach 1, too. I am aware that cars are never good investments (minus the well known collector's cars). They're a hobby to me and I've always bought based on what my heart wanted (and my wallet allowed). Of course I have burnt quite a bit of $ over time but that is part of it.

I catch myself thinking that I should be "smarter" than before, and instead of paying $13k to be on my third Coyote Mustang, get something special that may hold its value better (Shelby with the Heritage Package).

To the Mach 1 owners that switched from other Mustangs: What are your impressions comparing the Mach to a GT PP1/Bullitt and a Shelby in terms of steering/handling?

Thank you in advance for your insights!

MachNroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Mustang
I could pull the trigger on a low miles Mach 1 for a $13k upcharge to my Bullitt. I'm between "this is totally stupid" and "why not - I'm barely losing money on the Bullitt and with all the math done, I'm paying $57k for a Mach 1 that stickered at $60k".

Watched countless YouTube videos Mach 1 vs Shelby. What confuses me is that some people say the Mach feels just like the Shelby (steering and handling) minus the Voodoo, whereas others say the Mach feels just like a GT PP1/Bullitt. They allegedly even sound almost the same.

I remember from test driving the Shelby, that it felt VERY different compared to a GT/Bullitt. It was noticeable how light the front felt and how direct and responsive the steering was. I talked myself out of the Shelby back then because of my driveway clearance issue and because it felt like a race car that belongs on a track rather than the street.

I have to admit that I really like the Shelby history and heritage and "owning a Shelby" is part of that fascination. On the other hand, I always liked the 69-70 Mach 1, too. I am aware that cars are never good investments (minus the well known collector's cars). They're a hobby to me and I've always bought based on what my heart wanted (and my wallet allowed). Of course I have burnt quite a bit of $ over time but that is part of it.

I catch myself thinking that I should be "smarter" than before, and instead of paying $13k to be on my third Coyote Mustang, get something special that may hold its value better (Shelby with the Heritage Package).

To the Mach 1 owners that switched from other Mustangs: What are your impressions comparing the Mach to a GT PP1/Bullitt and a Shelby in terms of steering/handling?

Thank you in advance for your insights!
I almost pulled the trigger on a used 350 after owning an 18 PP1 GT. But, long term cpc engine concerns and rear bumper sag that I had heard was fairly common with the 350's was a consideration. It was very tempting to go with the 350 for the look, the stance, engine exhaust sound, Shelby name, did I mention the engine exhaust sound.....

But, I felt more comfortable with a Mach 1 with a fresh factory warranty and a more "reliable" Coyote engine. For me, the Mach 1 is a good daily, looks great, and the manual transmission is super and I have no regrets. I can just cruise when I want to and raise a little hell now and then. 480 HP paired with the 6 spd manual is nice with plenty of get up and go. The Mach 1 is unique enough that people notice, and I added an x pipe to up the ante with the exhaust note. I don't track it but do put it through its paces on long drives through twisty country and costal roads. At the end of the day, get what you want and makes you happy.

Sponsored

Groovy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 700A Tremec Oxford White
I was in the same predicament about 2 1/2 years ago. Ended up going with a Mach 1 non HP. Went from a 2019 GT PP, 6SP, magneride, active exhaust to a 2021 Mach 1 6sp. It is quite a different car in all respects. The transmission is geared much more aggressively, and normal mode feels more like sport in the GT. So, throttle response, braking, handling, sound, etc. Everything is a notch up.

When I get on the highway I do miss the deep overdrive on the Getrag transmission over the Tremec. Thatā€™s okay because itā€™s not my daily driver.

I passed on a Shelby because of vibrations and potential engine problems.

IMG_2501.jpg
IMG_2530.jpg

Last edited:

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
I was in the same predicament about 2 1/2 years ago. Ended up going with a Mach 1 non HP. Went from a 2019 GT PP, 6SP, magneride, active exhaust to a 2021 Mach 1 6sp. It is quite a different car in all respects. The transmission is geared much more aggressively, and normal mode feels more like sport in the GT. So, throttle response, braking, handling, sound, etc. Everything is a notch up.

When I get on the highway I do miss the deep overdrive on the Getrag transmission over the Tremec. Thatā€™s okay because itā€™s not my daily driver.

I passed on a Shelby because of vibrations and potential engine problems.
IMG_2501.jpg
IMG_2530.jpg
So my choices vey similar to you. I wanted one of the last s550s. I built out a GT woth everything I wanted, came in at 58k. So for 4k more I got a 700a with everything but the HP.

I went woth the auto and I am glad I did. The transmission tuning on the Mach 1 is light-years ahead of the GTs.

As for performance vs a gt350 most of it comes down to the driver

Groovy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 700A Tremec Oxford White
So my choices vey similar to you. I wanted one of the last s550s. I built out a GT woth everything I wanted, came in at 58k. So for 4k more I got a 700a with everything but the HP.

I went woth the auto and I am glad I did. The transmission tuning on the Mach 1 is light-years ahead of the GTs.

As for performance vs a gt350 most of it comes down to the driver
I understand. I've got a 2021 F150 ecoboost with the 10 speed. Seems like they've worked out most of the bugs from the 2017 I had. Always in the right gear!

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
I could have ordered a Mach1 at MSRP in Dec 20. I passed after a found a 20 PP2 loaded for 5k off sticker. Didnā€™t make sense to spend 11k more for Mach 1 with same options.

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
I could have ordered a Mach1 at MSRP in Dec 20. I passed after a found a 20 PP2 loaded for 5k off sticker. Didnā€™t make sense to spend 11k more for Mach 1 with same options.
You sir, had great timing.
Sponsored