Sponsored

Has anyone given thought to this monumental change that’s about to occur? In less than 2 years…

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Great Britian plan to eliminate private ownership of cars? That's not good. Will car prices increase to a point where only elites will be able to afford?

UK Inches Closer To Eliminating Private Car Ownership (yahoo.com)
lol, our public transport system is a joke but if you live in a city centre and work in same city centre (or another city centre) then sure you might not need a car. Any other circumstances, forget it.
UK government gets a huge amount of revenue from private car ownership taxes so they'll not be keen to reduce the ownership just yet

quote from article What’s more, 300 residents in Coventry recently expressed interest in giving up their personal cars
300 eh? i suppose it's a start of the total control
Sponsored

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Fucking LEGEND!!! Finnish man blows up Tesla after getting estimate of 24,000 to replace battery cell.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Fucking LEGEND!!! Finnish man blows up Tesla after getting estimate of 24,000 to replace battery cell.

5 million + views ... now he can just go buy a new Tesla from the YouTube income. Genius business model. 😆

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ It's a statement and YouTube money making move at the same time.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Not clear how long it will take for EV's to take over and replace most ICE vehicles. Not even clear if this will happen. Some want such to happen and others are strong against it. But a question follows if most ICE are sidelined. That question is not raised first by me but has been raised by other members on here. I have thought about it.
One question is what will the highways be paved with? May sound silly or not a problem, but i do see a problem. Most roads are paved with asphalt in my area. Asphalt is a mix of small gravel with a flexible binder of the heavy tars from refining crude oil.
Thing is there is a well-known process of refining crude oil to get a wide range of products. A portion of every barrel of oil will be the very heavy tars. So, the first answer might be we will just keep using that tar for road surfaces. Here is the crux of that matter.
It is my understanding the current refining process yields some lighter products than tars and we use all of them currently. Much of the plastics are refined from oil. There are a few plastics made from other things but i do not think there are many. Soybeans can be refined into a plastic which has been used to insulate wiring in cars. That backfired to a degree as rodents like the taste of soy-based plastics and did chew up the wiring. A green idea that did not work too well at first.
Any way i figure plastics are too valuable in medicine and food to stop using, so we will keep refining oil to have plastics.

There are the volatile liquids and gases which come from oil. Gasoline and diesel for sure, but many others. Some of those volatile liquids are important for industry and will be hard to do without. I imagine some will be kept to use for sure.

last are the products which are gases at room temperatures and pressures. Propane, butane and so on. These are also volatile. They can be compressed into a liquid at high pressure to use in our grills and lighters.

Here is the point i am driving at. It is my understanding at this point the refinery process will result in some yield of gasoline, diesel, kerosene, jet fuel, heating oil and the like. I do not think there is a way to prevent some portion of each barrel of oil from becoming these fuels. I know you can tweak the process to get more gasoline and less diesel, or you can set it up to get more diesel and less gasoline per barrel. I think you have to wind up with some of each no matter what you do.

There may be a way to transform gasoline and diesel into other products outside of the current refining structures. For example, Penzoil has been making a motor oil from natural gas for a while. In Kingsport TN they have been working on how the gasify coal id another example.

So, if we want to keep using asphalt to pave our roads there will be millions of gallons of these liquid fuels to do something with. If the ICE is gone, what will we do with all that?

We can pave with cement to be sure, but cement is high on the list of CO2 emission sources and is one of the "bad guys" according to "green" sources I read.

So let me repeat the basic question. If all fossil fuels are eventually banned from use, what will we pave roads with. Let me add that cement is not going to be a valid replacement as i understand the green movement currently. There are stories about greener cements being made and if such is an answer the cost and other things needed to ramp up these green cements to replace traditional cement volumes needs to be explained if such is known.

07S281E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saleen S281E, 2020 Shelby GT 350
The current electric grid is no where close to handling the amount of power this would need. The only power source feasible will be nuclear. Once they are building nuclear plants in every backyard and trucking nuclear waste all over, then the discussion for replacing the ICE can begin.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Concrete. It lasts MUCH longer anyway. In my area highways paved in concrete are good for 40 years. Asphalt is about 2-5 years.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Once they are building nuclear plants in every backyard and trucking nuclear waste all over
actually Thorium Salt reactors are thousands of times safer than the ancient water-cooled Uranium ones we have all over the country that are a grid-hiccup away from going Chernobyl/Fukushima. And we have so much THorium (in coal) to last us way over a 1000 years. The same plant can be used to gassify coal into synth-fuel just like the Germans did in WW2.

We have the tech, we just can't/won't deploy it.

Sponsored

07S281E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saleen S281E, 2020 Shelby GT 350
We have the tech, we just can't/won't deploy it.
[/QUOTE]
That doesn't surprise me we don't reuse our Uranium Cores like they do in Europe

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Concrete. It lasts MUCH longer anyway. In my area highways paved in concrete are good for 40 years. Asphalt is about 2-5 years.
Hello; I am old enough to have watched the Interstate system slowly be built. I started driving in 1963. At first no interstate was near my home In Middlesboro KY. By I967 I was attending college In Morehead KY. As I drove north and south between home and school The interstate I75 moved south. At first it was not until Richmond KY that i could get on I75. Later I got on at Berea. Then later Livingston. Finally, I75 made it to Corbin KY. Best I recall the early interstate was all concrete.

The cost and time to lay concrete is much more than asphalt is my understanding. But using concrete does not fit in with the "green" ideas because of the energy used to make the cement and the CO2 released during the process.
One enemy is CO2 and cement production releases a lot of that. Mainly from the fuel used to heat and turn the limestone into cement. There may be some CO2 release from the limestone also. Limestone is made of shells of sea creatures which make a hard shell and then die and form a layer at the bottom of shallow seas.

Best i understand now both fossil fuels and cement are targets of the "green" agenda. Let me ask it another way. Does the use of concrete for roads save CO2 over the use of oil based asphalt?

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
You’re wrong, maybe not to the amount that you would like but every new administration is able to push it’s agenda…
Meh, People that are not voted into office by the people should not be making regulations that we have no choice of following or not.
There are too many ABC dept's that do as they please that were never put in place by the people.
This happens are the local/state and fed level.
Most times those running these abc dept. have no clue and just set regulations and then think The lead from bewitched will wiggle her nose and all will be right with the world.
No matter what side of the aisle you lean, This should be allarming.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
btw where the HELL is my jetpack?!!! and my flying car????
Sponsored