Sponsored

Has anyone done testing on the stock air filtration setup?

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Hi all,

I'm going to see if the factory cai is actually restrictive at my power level, which is representative of many of our cars. I currently have an aftermarket downpipe, an intercooler, and unleashed tune. I have ordered a differential pressure gauge that maxes out at 5" of water, not mercury. It will be able to detect very small amounts of vacuum in the intake tract. This should settle the question, at least at the moderate power level my car is capable of. I'll post results when I get the gauge and get it hooked up.
Sponsored

dsabat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Interesting idea. I installed a MAP intake on my car and it made no difference in my 0-60 times compared to a drop-in filter. Except for a ridiculous amount of noise. I put the stock airbox back on.

OP
OP

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
I'm not surprised to hear that.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
The stock box is designed well. Delete the resonator, throw in an upgraded panel filter and Airaid intake tune, and it should perform as well as anything else on the market for a stock turbo.

I'm very interested in seeing what you come up with!

BrewCityBOOST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BrewCityBOOST Mustang
IME Stock airboxes have been pretty damn efficient for quite some time now. Intakes arent going to add gains, yes someone will just do pull after pull after pull until they get results for marketing. if anything the stock filter element will be the restriction.

But - they look great and sound awesome. I still put them on my cars anyways.

Sponsored

OP
OP

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
From what I've read, the filter our cars use is the same part number as the filter the gt's use. They're rated at 110 hp more than the ecoboost. That tells me that even the stock paper filter is probably good to way more than stock on an ecoboost. I'll find out though...

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I just put an aem dryflow filter into my ecoboost's stock air intake, not really sure it made a difference but I am also in the process of switching over to 93 octane so who knows, the filter is reusable and warranted for life though.

Terry

OP
OP

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Ok, I'm ready to rig the gauge up. I would like to buy someone's stock airbox lid that has put an aftermarket cai on their car if anybody has one they'll sell pretty cheap. The gauge I'm going to use maxes out at 5" of WATER, not mercury, so it's very sensitive. Cummins recommends upsizing to a bigger air filter if a given filter creates 6 inches or more vacuum, so my gauge should definitely let me know if there's enough restriction to matter.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Are you going to test the factory filter and an aftermarket filter? That'd be an awesome comparison.

Last edited:
OP
OP

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
I have no plans to test anything other than the stock setup at this point, because that's all I have to test. My main goal is to see whether the stock setup is sufficient at my power level, which happens to be a pretty common power level for these cars given the amount of other people that have the same stuff done to their cars as I do.

Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
I have no plans to test anything other than the stock setup at this point, because that's all I have to test. My main goal is to see whether the stock setup is sufficient at my power level, which happens to be a pretty common power level for these cars given the amount of other people that have the same stuff done to their cars as I do.
I updated my reply. I meant an upgraded panel filter replacement for the stock box, like a Green or K&N. Sorry for the confusion. I'd like to see the true difference between the stock panel filter and an upgraded panel filter.

OP
OP

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
That would be interesting, but I will only test an aftermarket filter if the results of testing with the stock one indicate the need for more flow. Simple finances. Now, if someone wanted me to test a particular drop in filter badly enough to send me one, I would test it and then send them the filter back.

SLEEPERSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt
I'm going to give the drop in Afe pro5r with a air raid throttle body to airbox elbow a shot and see what happens.. Maybe get steady with the pencil grinder and a rotary file and open up the closed areas of the grill for airflow.

OP
OP

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Are you talking about the driver's side of the grill in front of the airbox inlet? I had thought of that too, but I decided that since there's plenty of space between the front of the inlet tube and the grill, it seems to actually have access to all of the open part of the grill for air supply. On the other hand, more grill open directly in front of the inlet might give a small amount of ram air effect at higher speeds..

SLEEPERSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt
Yup exactly. I figured what heck, i might as well give it a try and lightly file those areas out. But you are right. It might flow just as well leaving it the way it is. I really like the look of the upper and lower grill delete Lethal Performance sells. But I'm really not excited about cleaning the shiny a/c condenser every single time i drive it due to being blasted with a million bugs.. lol
Sponsored