Sponsored

Has anyone combined an H-pipe with an axle-back? Did you regret it?

OP
OP
Tom777

Tom777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
You should hear one that has basically a 3" catback without a muffler, like my 2019 did. WE have two tunnels here and it sounded like Indy Cars, I loved it.
Oh, God. I've had this car for a year now and I still haven't done a tunnel. I think it's time.
Sponsored

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
i have an H pipe replacing the resonator on my 3" catback xforce varex, sounds way better imo

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I went on a cruise with my car club a couple of months ago and the couple (older) behind me said your car is definitely loud but it sounds really good. I haven't driven through a tunnel yet either...hmmm can't say that I know any exist in GA or SC.

AbsoluteBaseGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 6 Speed
I’m running a 2.5 H-Pipe into a 3 inch Solo Performance Exhaust. Drone is minimal due to the J-Pipes. I’d like to swap to a 3 inch H-Pipe and have it be 3 inch all the way back but as it is now it fills a void in my soul.

Clips:

3.5K-4K Normal Driving

WOT 1-2-3

Mr X

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I've had the H-pipe installed today and the result is something cataclysmically loud. It is actually ridiculous; I mean literally comical. I love it but I really don't know whether or not I can keep it. Everything about my car is absurd and over the top. It's a bonkers celebration of the internal combustion engine and one last hurrah before petrol rides off into the sunset...but I really don't know if I've finally gone too far. I suppose my neighbours' scorn will be the litmus test.
Any updates on your system? Did you keep the setup or went back to the resonator?

I have a Roush axle back but would like a deeper tone, so considering a H pipe. I love my neighbors though, lol so I'm in two minds wanting to ask others who have done it.

Sponsored

mdmoore79

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martel
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I have the Roush axle back with an H pipe. It's loud, but not obnoxious. I've heard guys/gals with way louder exhaust than mine.

OP
OP
Tom777

Tom777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Any updates on your system? Did you keep the setup or went back to the resonator?

I have a Roush axle back but would like a deeper tone, so considering a H pipe. I love my neighbors though, lol so I'm in two minds wanting to ask others who have done it.
Yes, mate, I kept the H-pipe. Make no mistake, cold starts are world-rending but once it's in gear and I'm moving, it's eminently tolerable. Given time to warm up though, the sound graduates from tolerable to utterly delicious. I used to listen to music while driving other cars I've previously owned but now I very often find myself turning off the audio system, rolling down the windows and enjoying that coyote soundtrack.

Honestly I've found the cold starts to be the biggest issue but br_an advised me of a simple hack to suppress that initial explosive roar: Pool noodles stuffed up the exhausts. If it's stupid but it works, it ain't stupid.

Isn't yours an ecoboost though, Tim? The difference between a supercharged 5 litre and a 2.3 ecoboost might render this concern moot. With any luck you'll land on exactly the sound you're looking for without any of the inconvenient obnoxiousness.
Sponsored