Guys who park outside...

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
The wife has 2 mustangs taking up the garage with a lot of sentimental value and cannot be parked outside. So now my 17 PP is left outside exposed to the elements...And it hurts. Time to apply some wax!!

I plan on keeping her for a good while... Was just curious to how many of you guys have yours outside getting beaten by the sun.
When you say "keeping her for a good while"...are you referring to your wife or the car? Makes a big difference on the solution!
Sponsored

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
My car has been parked outside 24/7 since i got it two years ago. All i have are some curb damage from the 8 months i lived in an apartment with street parking (now i live in a complex with a parking lot and small garages) To me the key is a good wax and always keeping it somewhat clean.

My 11 Taurus was parked outside for three years and the paint still looked really good when i traded it in.

P51DNA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I defiantly would not use a car cover. A car cover really should only be applied to a car after it has just been washed/detailed. Otherwise you are just rubbing what ever dust and dirt that has settled on your paint. One drive down the street and you're to dirty to use a car cover imo.

I would hate to leave the car outside too. I probably would have factored this in to my decision to purchase the car before hand. If the garaged cars are not even being driven I may found another location to store them or even sold one. We can not hold on to things our entire lives when it's not practical just over sentimental value. Most likely your kids are going to sell it or dump it anyway!

So in your current situation, you're just going to have to work harder at keeping your car clean and protected, and be more cautious when doing so from all the extra debris.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
My car is outside 24/7. I try to wash it every week and wax it once a month. I bought a Covercraft WeatherShield HD cover that I put on before snow storms. The cover is really nice, a little expensive, but worth it IMO. I also use a sunscreen in my windshield to protect the interior from sun damage.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Another thing about the car covers to consider is how well they stay on the car. If you get a windy day which causes the cover to shift around it can also scratch up the paint if there's any dirt/debris caught in the liner.

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Most good covers have eye lets at the bottom i use an adjustable tiedown to run under the car from side to side and i never had my cover blow off!

martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost; coupe; guard; dark-saddle; MT; PP; Nav;
I use a Noah car cover. My wife gets some choices as to how we do things but for the reserved parking space -----I decide

VNTGSPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I have been using car covers for over 10 years. I cover them at home and at work. I have learned the main benefit is sun protection. The interior, weatherstripping, lenses, etc all seem to fair much better when protected from the sun. If the car gets noticeably dusty/dirty I won't cover it again until after a wash. Yes, very faint scratches will appear over time but they are easily buffed out with a periodic detail. It's much more difficult to correct sun damage.

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
The DAY I bought my car I went to my girlfriend's house and parked in her driveway.

I got up the next morning, and there was a mess of cat hair on the roof, where a damned neighbors cat had sat and given himself a bath. He also scratched up my car.

All within hours of picking up my car!!!

I put a car cover on it when at her house, but only at night. I do get some micro-scratches, but I can take care of those much easier than cat claw scratches.
.22 sub sonic rounds would have taken care of that bs.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Covers

The wife has 2 mustangs taking up the garage with a lot of sentimental value and cannot be parked outside. So now my 17 PP is left outside exposed to the elements...And it hurts. Time to apply some wax!!

I plan on keeping her for a good while... Was just curious to how many of you guys have yours outside getting beaten by the sun.

Costco's Coverking cover, size medium, $27.99 that actually has a pic of Mustang on the box. I have one for both of my Mustangs. I wash them, I dry them, and when they fall apart I buy new. I bought one of those locking cables at a cheap parts store just so the wind can't blow it off. You can't beat that deal. In fact, I put the cover on the car at work just to keep the SoCal sun off it to hide from the UV - see pic.

I have another cheap cover on my 70 Torino, and that is fine too. I also have a custom cover for my 87 Turbo Regal, and it is about 18-years old, and it cost a fortune.
MyCovered17.JPG

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Mine stays outside except for the parking structure at work. Even after someone was kind enough to help me air out the car and borrow my belongings. It gets an $11 automatic car wash every month to try and keep any crap from really sticking. Don't have any paint issues after ~20 months of daily driving and the birds occasionally shit on it too at my condo parking lot even though I consciously avoid parking under trees. They must be camaro fans :D

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
My personal opinion based on my own experience, is don't waste money on a car cover if you need to keep your car outside. I did on a previous dark blue car and it scratched the heck out of my paint and had crazy swirls. It would also blow off all the time even with it tied. It would still be attached to the car, just no longer covering it.

I suggest getting PPF and/or a good ceramic coating and use one of those windshield covers to keep the sun from bleaching out your interior. PPF and or ceramic will protect your car fine in my opinion.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
.22 sub sonic rounds would have taken care of that bs.
Seriously? You want to shoot someone who breaks into your car? Good luck with that. It's just property man, not like it's your woman. I'm not doing hard time for killing someone who is stealing change from my car. First line of protection is don't leave stuff visible in your car.
Sponsored