Sponsored

Guys, talk some sense into me.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Haven't been on here much recently, but there's a reason.

The Miata. Specifically the 2016 Miata. I've always wanted one, just like I've always wanted a Mustang. My heart has been set for years on the Mustang, but the new Miata has really made me fall in love with the little roadster. Seriously, the idea of a light, agile, efficient, and cheaper DD is sounding very, very appealing to me.

Take me back to the dark side, guys!
Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
If you like a tiny little death trap...go for it.

:)

Don't get me wrong, it's a damn nice looking car. I just think those things are so small. My one GF had a 2010 and man every time I was in that thing all I thought was "If we get hit in this we'll probably die".

Never felt comfortable in a car that small.

Reactions: 113

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Both cars will be fun to drive. You should really compare if you want a big beast, where even two extra persons and the results of a shopping spree will fit in, or if you prefer a really small roadster which is not really an everyday driver and people bigger than 6ft hardly fit into.

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
The Miata. Too small, too underpowered. Pass.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR

The Miata. Specifically the 2016 Miata. I've always wanted one, just like I've always wanted a Mustang. My heart has been set for years on the Mustang, but the new Miata has really made me fall in love with the little roadster. Seriously, the idea of a light, agile, efficient, and cheaper DD is sounding very, very appealing to me.

Lol at some of these posts. Some people just don't understand the desire to drive a light car and how fun it can be regardless of power.

IMO if you can swing it, get the Mustang and maybe the Miata used later down the line.

or figure out which one depreciates more (honestly I think Mustangs depreciate more) and buy the one that will hold it's value more. Then purchase the other used a few years down the road.

I chose Mustang because I've always wanted one. I really like the Miata and it looks great. I just couldn't justify it over the Mustang. The Mustang is well a Mustang and is more of what I want to drive right now. Now, if Mazda came out with a new RX....I would have been really hard pressed to still get the Mustang.

I may still end up getting an low mileage RX way down the road, I dunno. I have so many toys already and no room to put them lol.

Sponsored

SeventhWard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SeventhWard
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT
I like the Miata. Like you've said above - it's light and agile. It's fun. Quick. Looks good. It's a fantastic roadster, which by definition doesn't make it a fair comparison against a coupe like Mustang. While I certainly enjoy the aesthetics and performance of a roadster like Miata, I find a coupe to be a little more practical for my daily driving.

I was in the market for a roadster. I'm too big for Miata so I was looking at Boxster and Z4 - same concept just a little larger. Sure, we like to imagine all the time we'll spend carving up the canyons but since this is a daily driver, lets also try to not forget what it's like to take the car to the grocery store or on a date or on a road trip. Not only do I need the performance but there's practicality to consider as well. Speaking personally, Mustang wins the practicality comparison against Miata or any other roadster. I've got a backseat for cargo, kids or punished adults. I'd like to think that for a night out on the town, Mustang wins again - your lady wearing something formal and need to be comfortable? Mustang has more room inside.

Say you're going to work. With a roadster, your passenger seat has your briefcase...until a passenger comes along. Now you've gotta put that briefcase awkwardly on the floor by her feet or in the trunk. Mustang wins again, I've got room for stuff without putting everything in the trunk. Throw it in the back, boom let's go.

I take it you're comparing Miata against the Ecoboost. 4 cylinder is what you're after. You want that fuel efficiency. You want that roadster feel with that Miata handling. You want that six speed manual....but yeah, the practicality of a slightly larger car is some real shit, isn't it? Look at the Mustang Convertible Ecoboost with Performance Package and manual transmission. It's priced similarly to what Miata will go for and even better - you can drive it right now. No waiting for 2016. And it has a backseat. And a bigger engine. And way more power. And a rich aftermarket full of parts available right now where if you so choose, you can make it faster and more agile than any Miata you can throw at it.

-SeventhWard

luxe_g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Guard 50th PP
I love my new Mustang and will probably love it even more once I get to the track for some road racing. With that said, I don't think I'll ever love it as much as my 1995 Miata. Having a lightweight, nimble, easy to drive, smooth to shift vehicle is such a pleasure. They are totally different beasts so I have both and suggest you get one of each! :D

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Both cars will be fun to drive. You should really compare if you want a big beast, where even two extra persons and the results of a shopping spree will fit in, or if you prefer a really small roadster which is not really an everyday driver and people bigger than 6ft hardly fit into.
My first vehicle was a Ford Ranger. I am more than used to a small cabin, and actually feel more comfortable in it. I still have it, I could never get rid of it. My Volvo on the other hand, the love is starting to fade. Yes it's a great car, and I enjoy driving the Swedish unicorn, but I feel it doesn't really fit me. I bought it knowing I wouldn't have it for more than a few years, so getting rid of it isn't going to make me cry. In fact I want to use it as a trade in (or sell it before the buy) for said Miata or Mustang.

I don't do shopping sprees...

I'm 5' 9" and fit in a NA Miata. I don't care what other people think of my car either, I buy my cars for me. If someone doesn't fit, too bad. I hate carting around more than one person anyways. For my lifestyle a Miata fits perfectly. But then again There's 435 throbbing, American horsepower calling me from the other side...

SeventhWard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SeventhWard
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT
But then again There's 435 throbbing, American horsepower calling me from the other side...

Wait wait wait wait....you're comparing Miata...against MUSTANG GT? The 5.0? The Coyote?

It ain't even the same ball park. It ain't the same league. It ain't the same sport.

Miata is 2.0 liter 4 cylinder motor that's going to make 155HP and 150/TQ. Mustang GT has more than twice the displacement and nearly triple the horsepower. Yeah, Mustang weighs more than a Miata does but I made the point earlier - you can MAKE it handle like a Mazda. (relatively)

This is apples and oranges. So you can fit in a Mazda and don't give a damn about anyone else? That's fine. But if you're talking under the hood, no contest. Why even bother? Child's play. Do you want car or the CAR?

-SeventhWard

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
I like the Miata. Like you've said above - it's light and agile. It's fun. Quick. Looks good. It's a fantastic roadster, which by definition doesn't make it a fair comparison against a coupe like Mustang. While I certainly enjoy the aesthetics and performance of a roadster like Miata, I find a coupe to be a little more practical for my daily driving.

I was in the market for a roadster. I'm too big for Miata so I was looking at Boxster and Z4 - same concept just a little larger. Sure, we like to imagine all the time we'll spend carving up the canyons but since this is a daily driver, lets also try to not forget what it's like to take the car to the grocery store or on a date or on a road trip. Not only do I need the performance but there's practicality to consider as well. Speaking personally, Mustang wins the practicality comparison against Miata or any other roadster. I've got a backseat for cargo, kids or punished adults. I'd like to think that for a night out on the town, Mustang wins again - your lady wearing something formal and need to be comfortable? Mustang has more room inside.

Say you're going to work. With a roadster, your passenger seat has your briefcase...until a passenger comes along. Now you've gotta put that briefcase awkwardly on the floor by her feet or in the trunk. Mustang wins again, I've got room for stuff without putting everything in the trunk. Throw it in the back, boom let's go.

I take it you're comparing Miata against the Ecoboost. 4 cylinder is what you're after. You want that fuel efficiency. You want that roadster feel with that Miata handling. You want that six speed manual....but yeah, the practicality of a slightly larger car is some real shit, isn't it? Look at the Mustang Convertible Ecoboost with Performance Package and manual transmission. It's priced similarly to what Miata will go for and even better - you can drive it right now. No waiting for 2016. And it has a backseat. And a bigger engine. And way more power. And a rich aftermarket full of parts available right now where if you so choose, you can make it faster and more agile than any Miata you can throw at it.

-SeventhWard
Thanks for the awesome post. However I'm not looking at either a base Miata or a base GT Coupe. See the words base in there? Less is more, I live by that saying. Miata wins here. I'm a diesel technician, I do it specifically because I did not want to spend the rest of my life sitting behind a desk, and I sure as hell didn't want to carry a briefcase around. Like I said above, I don't care for a back seat.

Explenation for the GT Coupe: More structural rigidity with the coupe, and less weight. The fastback looks better, and I don't really want a Mustang convertible. Weird, I know. I'm not the biggest fan of convertibles But when it comes to the Miata, you can't have it any other way. It would just ruin the car if it was a coupe, see Toyoburu twins.

I'm not making any sense. This is such a simple question, American sledgehammer or zippy roadster?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Wait wait wait wait....you're comparing Miata...against MUSTANG GT? The 5.0? The Coyote?

It ain't even the same ball park. It ain't the same league. It ain't the same sport.

Miata is 2.0 liter 4 cylinder motor that's going to make 155HP and 150/TQ. Mustang GT has more than twice the displacement and nearly triple the horsepower. Yeah, Mustang weighs more than a Miata does but I made the point earlier - you can MAKE it handle like a Mazda. (relatively)

This is apples and oranges. So you can fit in a Mazda and don't give a damn about anyone else? That's fine. But if you're talking under the hood, no contest. Why even bother? Child's play. Do you want car or the CAR?

-SeventhWard
If the Miata is as fast as my Volvo, I'll be perfectly happy. But the Mustang is the opposite. It's my "going all-out." Where speed is the most important aspect. The one that lands me behind bars (hope not).

Rhys

Enjoying my 67 Mustang
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Who knows?
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT Fastback, 2014 Focus, 2015 GT DIB

What kind of person would take a miata over a mustang! A mustang! A v8 mustang!(or ecoboost, whichever's fine) A miata is a little tiny car which has less space than the mustang's rear seats.

SeventhWard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SeventhWard
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT
I'm not making any sense. This is such a simple question, American sledgehammer or zippy roadster?
Nope. You're tripping. You're at the intersection of having the ability to afford a car and you can't pick which one. Talk about a first world problem!!

The trend in the automotive industry is smaller, more efficient engines. That's where we're going in the future, along with electric cars. The days of naturally aspirated V8 monsters will surely end, or will no doubt be priced for the performance market only. Whereby 10 years from now, small nimble agile cars will be there as they will be the norm - can the same be said for the V8?

I say American Sledgehammer, while it's right there in front of you. And, again, you can MAKE it a zippy roadster. (albeit with a roof and a backseat lol)

-SeventhWard

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
I made the point earlier - you can MAKE it handle like a Mazda. (relatively)

-SeventhWard
you're kidding right? the mustang is like 1300 lbs heavier than the Miata, at least. No way can you make that thing handle "like" the mazda unless you completely race prepped the car. Even then it wouldn't even be close due to the wheel base and track.

Sure the 5.0 is great, but when comparing it to a mazda, you're not comparing it's hp rating. you're comparing the overall car. If both down the road isn't an option. Just test drive them on your favorite twisty roads and see which you'll be happier with. And do it in the summer :thumbsup:

Like I said before, some people just don't understand the appeal to a nimble little roadster. The size and weight is what kept me away from the mustang for so long. But i've wanted one for a while and now was the time for me. I will still get something small sometime in the future but not anytime real soon.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
miata is a girl's car unless it's a race car version.
Sponsored