Sponsored

Guys, how important is the “Shelby” name to the enjoyment of your car?

ABMustangfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Jeep Wrangler, 09 Flex
What ended up making shelbys special was the fact that Carol Shelby took basic mustangs and made them special, they looked good and performed well.
Some of his creations were duds. And the early Shelbys were not exactly amazing performance wise. But hey there is a history and its a good story.

But now Shelby American isn’t what it used to be and their cars are overbadged and overpriced.

Ford’s has taken the Mustang and turned it into an absolute beast, and the Shelby name plate that they still use makes the car a little more special. As Ford still believes it’s special and puts an amazing amount of engineering into them.

Having said all that, I doubt Shelby would be happy with the way this thread has gone, and the us vs them mentality. Really in the end it’s about enjoying the cars for what they are. Beautiful machines, that are capable right off the lot (even in ecoboost form), but also very modifiable and customizable whether a lowly ol ecoboost all the way up to a GT500.

lets all enjoy the beautiful cars that they are and continue building and working on making them our own.
Sponsored

NPTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Having said all that, I doubt Shelby would be happy with the way this thread has gone, and the us vs them mentality. Really in the end it’s about enjoying the cars for what they are. Beautiful machines, that are capable right off the lot (even in ecoboost form), but also very modifiable and customizable whether a lowly ol ecoboost all the way up to a GT500.
If Shelby would be unhappy with this thread, I think it would because just about everyone here is saying the name is “nice to have” but not a necessary condition to them enjoying / owning the car or paying a premium for it.

I disagree with you in that my key takeaway from this thread is the complete lack of “us vs them” mentality, and the overwhelming majority of folks telling you they love this car for the lovely machine that it is, not the badge on the bumper…

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
If Shelby would be unhappy with this thread, I think it would because just about everyone here is saying the name is “nice to have” but not a necessary condition to them enjoying / owning the car or paying a premium for it.

I disagree with you in that my key takeaway from this thread is the complete lack of “us vs them” mentality, and the overwhelming majority of folks telling you they love this car for the lovely machine that it is, not the badge on the bumper…
Which exactly answers the question I posed in the OP, and I appreciate the honest responses. Now before someone says “yeah, but you had an agenda here” or “you shoulda known it would turn out this way” no, not unless you figure that a non-Shelby owner shouldn’t even be allowed to use the “S” word in a post. It’s a shame really because any serious Mustang owner (of any kind) has to recognize these beautiful cars for what they are and the contribution they’ve made and will continue to make. Regardless of how much you love and enjoy what you own (and that’s a good thing) the big dog is still the big dog. It may or may not be the best fit for you but it’s still what it is.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Which exactly answers the question I posed in the OP, and I appreciate the honest responses. Now before someone says “yeah, but you had an agenda here” or “you shoulda known it would turn out this way” no, not unless you figure that a non-Shelby owner shouldn’t even be allowed to use the “S” word in a post. It’s a shame really because any serious Mustang owner (of any kind) has to recognize these beautiful cars for what they are and the contribution they’ve made and will continue to make. Regardless of how much you love and enjoy what you own (and that’s a good thing) the big dog is still the big dog. It may or may not be the best fit for you but it’s still what it is.
The bold cracked me up, and brought to mind some of the insufferable douche types I encountered at shows and roll-in events when I owned my '07 GT500. It was embarassing at times to be a fellow Shelby owner the way some of these clowns carried on.

ABMustangfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Owning a Shelby doesn’t make the owner any more special… and maybe some people forget that.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Interesting. I thought that your "agenda" was to find out what people thought and I expect that you probably aren't surprised by the answers. After all, it's what forums are for and your question was perfectly rational and reasonable.

To the extent that there's discord in this GT350 sub-forum, a lot of it's driven by GTPP and Mach 1 owners dropping by and telling GT350 owners how shitty our cars are. It's tiresome and unhelpful. However, as far as I know, you're not one of them.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The "value" discussions among car enthusiasts are confounding.

First, none of the cars discussed so far are good "investments." In fact, they're terrible investments.

When you take into account the recurring costs of ownership and do a plot of the vehicles value over time and then you take into account inflation, the time line to any signficant and REAL returns is longer than the vast majority of us will be alive.

Even if you were to hold a new era vehicle until it overcame the annualized costs (maintenance and upkeep, storage and insurance) and even overcome inflation to REAL profits, compared or contrasted against OTHER investments, it's a terrible, terrible affair.

The summary is, if you want to make money, there's a zillion other ways to do it and come out with more.

Buy the car, consume it, enjoy it. If you're worried about how much money you'll have left in your pocket eventually, take that money and put it into something better.

Classic cars, once they've reached a ripened age and the numbers have been chopped by time, crashes and salvage destruction etc, are a fixed supply against an ever increasing demand (population). That break even and substantial money timeline is LONG, like DECADES long.

NPTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
The "value" discussions among car enthusiasts are confounding.

First, none of the cars discussed so far are good "investments." In fact, they're terrible investments.

When you take into account the recurring costs of ownership and do a plot of the vehicles value over time and then you take into account inflation, the time line to any signficant and REAL returns is longer than the vast majority of us will be alive.

Even if you were to hold a new era vehicle until it overcame the annualized costs (maintenance and upkeep, storage and insurance) and even overcome inflation to REAL profits, compared or contrasted against OTHER investments, it's a terrible, terrible affair.

The summary is, if you want to make money, there's a zillion other ways to do it and come out with more.

Buy the car, consume it, enjoy it. If you're worried about how much money you'll have left in your pocket eventually, take that money and put it into something better.

Classic cars, once they've reached a ripened age and the numbers have been chopped by time, crashes and salvage destruction etc, are a fixed supply against an ever increasing demand (population). That break even and substantial money timeline is LONG, like DECADES long.

Agree with the conclusion that cars are not good investments on a relative basis to other investments when you think about absolute return - that said, a car is still a large cash commitment, and thus an investment in its own right…so if you’re gonna own one, there’s nothing wrong with factoring residual value into your decision. I always bought cars, drove them, and sold them for the same or more than I bought them for because I hunted for rare enthusiast spec special cars…would I have generated more return by investing in the S&P, yes, but if I’m gonna own a sports car, why not own the one that will on net cost me the least to own over time.

So I agree, people buying cars to generate a return is largely a losing proposition…but factoring in value on exit, nothing wrong with that in my book. And that’s why I think the long term “cost” of owning many special spec cars like the 350R can end up costing less over time that other non special cars…thus making them a better investment relatively speaking!

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fellas, I didn’t quote anybody here so as not to appear argumentative or combative but I should point out that the word “value“ or any reference to money didn’t appear anywhere in my OP. I did mention “enjoyment of your car” and “special” and those things are exactly what I was talking about. It was kinda a pride of ownership thing.

As a retired lifetime car dealer few know better than I how crappy an investment a car is. Sure, there are a few exceptions but they’re rare!

ABMustangfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. I thought that your "agenda" was to find out what people thought and I expect that you probably aren't surprised by the answers. After all, it's what forums are for and your question was perfectly rational and reasonable.

To the extent that there's discord in this GT350 sub-forum, a lot of it's driven by GTPP and Mach 1 owners dropping by and telling GT350 owners how shitty our cars are. It's tiresome and unhelpful. However, as far as I know, you're not one of them.
I have not spent alot of time on here in a few years, but sounds like the trolls are still out and about. The pill still still typing away?!

Just need to ignore the trolls. If it wasn’t for r and d with the gt350 they wouldn’t be enjoying the GT Intake manifold improvements etc.

Ford has been really hitting it out of the park since 2015 with the mustang nameplate.

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Fellas, I didn’t quote anybody here so as not to appear argumentative or combative but I should point out that the word “value“ or any reference to money didn’t appear anywhere in my OP. I did mention “enjoyment of your car” and “special” and those things are exactly what I was talking about. It was kinda a pride of ownership thing.

As a retired lifetime car dealer few know better than I how crappy an investment a car is. Sure, there are a few exceptions but they’re rare!
You used the word "enjoy" and part of that for at least some Shelby owners is the obsession with the value of the vehicle.

I can relate. I have firearms that are safe queens. They're not to be used, as it would degrade their value. I however, have numerous that ARE for use and sport and fun and I wouldn't find much joy in having a vehicle that's a collector item without at least having OTHER vehicles that are for exhilaration and fun. For someone who has several high performance vehicles, I can understand and relate. For anyone who owns a car and it's their only fun car, I don't get limiting the use for fear of diminishing it's value. While I see the point and the obsession with "collecting" things, it's not as rewarding as actual use, so I really wouldn't find joy with collecting without enjoying.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You used the word "enjoy" and part of that for at least some Shelby owners is the obsession with the value of the vehicle.

I can relate. I have firearms that are safe queens. They're not to be used, as it would degrade their value. I however, have numerous that ARE for use and sport and fun and I wouldn't find much joy in having a vehicle that's a collector item without at least having OTHER vehicles that are for exhilaration and fun. For someone who has several high performance vehicles, I can understand and relate. For anyone who owns a car and it's their only fun car, I don't get limiting the use for fear of diminishing it's value. While I see the point and the obsession with "collecting" things, it's not as rewarding as actual use, so I really wouldn't find joy with collecting without enjoying.
I get it and can empathize with the safe queen firearms for sure.

And I recently backed out of a 2-for-1 trade deal swapping both my Machs toward a 12 mile 2022 HE/CFTP GT500. I tried convincing myself that I’d drive it but I don’t honestly think I would have, knowing that a large part of the car’s value was rooted in it‘s 12 mile odometer. I don’t put a lot of miles on my Mustangs (they aren’t DDs) but I do enjoy driving them on nice days and I give ‘em the exercise they deserve and are meant for. I like to keep them nice but I enjoy driving them more. Guess I don’t qualify as a collector. Corvettes and Porsches are as high up the food chain as I’ve gone on the fun car hierarchy and they’re great. But nothing I’ve ever owned and driven brings me as much pure joy as these specialty S550 Mustangs on the road. The combination of the power, handling, sound, looks-all of it- just really does it for me. Hopefully I have a few good years left to enjoy it.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Several points here. What "we" value is an individual trait, not some community think. For me, the history and the memories associated with Shelby make it special. The car does not reflect on me personally though.

Carroll said drive the damn things. No one knows where the value is going to be on any of the cars. There is value in getting behind the wheel and the smiles that brings. Its fun to talk about value but its a small part of the car.

A 65 Shelby GT350 is a so-so car? Having driven one on track (road course) I would not challenge it with the average GT.

Some of you act like the Shelby group is the only group with azzhats. There is one in every group

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I've driven some of the earlier Shelby models and was frankly underwhelmed. Yeah they are a beast in a straight line or at the drag strip, but the fun is over fast. The GT350 did it for me because of the overall package of the car, not the Shelby name. I think in some cases it is the perception of other people looking in from the outside that value the Shelby name more- people that I interact with that is. It was just the right car at the right time for me. It's the creation of Ford Performance engineering dept with the Shelby badge on it. I'm sure the Shelby's coming out of the Shelby American facility are great cars, but there is no way i'm paying 100K+ for one of those.
The only other car I would consider owning in the Mustang line is a early Boss 302 (John Wick). So for me the Shelby name doesn't equate to anything special with this particular car. I love Carroll Shelby, the man, what he stood for, how down to earth he was, etc..
But I still love the iconic running pony badge and the whole Mustang history and lineage.
I watch the "Faster Horse" documentary at least once a year and never get tired of it.
When people ask me what I own I say it's a Ford Mustang Shelby GT350.
I even went so far as to replace the wheel center caps with the Mustang Running Pony logo just to have some connection to the Mustang.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I watch the "Faster Horse" documentary at least once a year and never get tired of it.
Funny you say that, I just watched it again last night. Had a hankering to watch it for some reason. It’s really good.
Sponsored