Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster

Spectre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Boxster GTS
I'm going to engage in a little heresy now.

The "Shelby" name is, IMO, overrated. HUGELY overrated.

I will admit I am too young to directly know of his impact during the 60s, and I am certain it was immense. I know he was a dirt poor chicken farmer turned racer, then car tuner/designer of sorts. I know the AC Ace to Cobra story. I know of the Daytona coupe. I know the Shelby Mustangs.

But he's also guilty of more than one unsavoury business proposal.

Other than trying to soup up some Dodge Omni shitboxes (THOSE I remember), what did he do automotively since the 70s until his death? Fleece a bunch of customers out of buying Shelby Series 1s and fraudulently building more "authentic" '60s Cobras (with their "original" VINs)? That's the Carrol Shelby I remember: smooth talking snake oil salesman.

The Shelby American Mustangs of the 2000s and up are overpriced and underperforming. However, the SVT Mustangs that bear his name (but not his involvement, come on!) have been good to great. Honestly, I understand why Ford puts his name on SVT Mustangs, but IMO they don't have to. Look how revered the Terminators were (not to mention how well their value held up). Same with the Boss 302. And I'm sorry, but if you believe Shelby had ANYthing to do, even conceptually, with the current GT350, I have some prime vacation property in Kandahar you might be interested in.

Ok, get the tar and feathers, then. I just wanted to provide a counterpoint to his deification. I still love the Mustang and its SVT iterations.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
^Heyyy now you hurt my feelings.... :rant: :p ;)

I like these Shelby vehicles from the 80's.... :love:

Like the Shelby Charger coupe, the Shelby Dakota truck, and yes moreso the GLH-S hot hatch too! :D

rcgyxjjtzy1rbsv90o7f.jpg

41334d1306190299-1989-dodge-shelby-dakota-10-900-dsc04841.jpg

Dodge-Shelby-Omni-GLHS.jpg

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
A good friend of mine had the hatchback. That little thing would scoot for it's time! I believe GLH stood for "Goes Like Hell"

Sponsored

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2007 GT500 and now the 2016 GT350. Love both cars for different reasons.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I'm going to engage in a little heresy now.

The "Shelby" name is, IMO, overrated. HUGELY overrated.

I will admit I am too young to directly know of his impact during the 60s, and I am certain it was immense. I know he was a dirt poor chicken farmer turned racer, then car tuner/designer of sorts. I know the AC Ace to Cobra story. I know of the Daytona coupe. I know the Shelby Mustangs.

But he's also guilty of more than one unsavoury business proposal.

Other than trying to soup up some Dodge Omni shitboxes (THOSE I remember), what did he do automotively since the 70s until his death? Fleece a bunch of customers out of buying Shelby Series 1s and fraudulently building more "authentic" '60s Cobras (with their "original" VINs)? That's the Carrol Shelby I remember: smooth talking snake oil salesman.

The Shelby American Mustangs of the 2000s and up are overpriced and underperforming. However, the SVT Mustangs that bear his name (but not his involvement, come on!) have been good to great. Honestly, I understand why Ford puts his name on SVT Mustangs, but IMO they don't have to. Look how revered the Terminators were (not to mention how well their value held up). Same with the Boss 302. And I'm sorry, but if you believe Shelby had ANYthing to do, even conceptually, with the current GT350, I have some prime vacation property in Kandahar you might be interested in.

Ok, get the tar and feathers, then. I just wanted to provide a counterpoint to his deification. I still love the Mustang and its SVT iterations.
No tar and feathers required. You have a right to your opinion.

I am not sure why you use the word fraud though. Everyone knows what the latest continuations are, they are approved by law and there is no intention to deceive.

When the man brought Ford a Lemans win with the GT40 program, he has earned something I never will. He didn't do it because he came from wealth. He did it with determination and his leadership ability. This "What have you done for me today?" attitude is rather selfish IMHP

I must say, some of you :hail: to the SVT nameplate. They certainly built some fantastic rides, several of which I have owned. But, a lot of the SVT guys were moved out many years ago with a very few remaining up until Ford performance took over. The SVT name is dead, much like the Ford Racing name. Long live Ford Performance.

And, if you don't think Carroll had anything to do with the GT350, check your mailbox. Afghanistan just sent your tax notice out for that property.

Spectre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Boxster GTS
[MENTION=6571]Bossing[/MENTION], I certainly didn't mean to offend. Just my opinion. FWIW, I didn't say the Shelby versions of those cars were bad, but I will stand by my comment that the Omnis out of the Dodge showroom were woeful. I've spent too much time in them. We've all had our share of bad/awful cars. :)

No tar and feathers required. You have a right to your opinion.

I am not sure why you use the word fraud though. Everyone knows what the latest continuations are, they are approved by law and there is no intention to deceive.

When the man brought Ford a Lemans win with the GT40 program, he has earned something I never will. He didn't do it because he came from wealth. He did it with determination and his leadership ability. This "What have you done for me today?" attitude is rather selfish IMHP

I must say, some of you :hail: to the SVT nameplate. They certainly built some fantastic rides, several of which I have owned. But, a lot of the SVT guys were moved out many years ago with a very few remaining up until Ford performance took over. The SVT name is dead, much like the Ford Racing name. Long live Ford Performance.

And, if you don't think Carroll had anything to do with the GT350, check your mailbox. Afghanistan just sent your tax notice out for that property.
Thank you for your reply. I got both a smile and a guffaw and out of it (I mean that sincerely, not in a mocking/snide way).

I saw "fraud" because the idea that a 60s car being built 30 years later being considered anything but a replicar (even if by the original maker) doesn't jive. Also, because of how poorly Shelby American handled the Series 1 debacle.

Thanks for your comments on the GT40. I know the man had some involvement, but I just can't remember what. I seem to be under the impression that the design and engineering were both led by Ford's UK division, though.

Could you please tell me what Carroll's actual involvement with the S550 GT350 was then, apart from Hameedi saying Carrol was involved (because that always read to me like a bit of fan service)?

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
A good friend of mine had the hatchback. That little thing would scoot for it's time! I believe GLH stood for "Goes Like Hell"
Back in the Spring of 1986 a great friend of mine and myself went into Patrick Dodge in Richmond, B.C. and he bought a Black GLH and I bought a Red GLH right off the showroom floor.

Shortly thereafter I purchased some wheel spacers, took off the catalytic converter, threw as much negative camber that I could onto the car and bought some Yokohama A008R's and went auto crossing as a member of the VCMC (Vancouver Chinese Motorsport Club) and was the only Caucasian in our club.

The VCMC were a great bunch of guys with a lot of money and many drove Porsches, Ferrari's, Bimmers etc. and taught me a lot about racing and in particular my little GLH.

That car back in 1986 kicked a lot of butt on the course especially with those sticky Yokohama's on those 15" wheels. I was all over the Mustang's, Camaro's and Firebird's at the time!

PS: I sure had a lot great Chinese food after racing on Sunday's as my buddies parents would open up just for us.

Don't know if VCMC still exists but just a great bunch of guys!

:cheers:

oldmachguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Thanks for your comments on the GT40. I know the man had some involvement, but I just can't remember what. I seem to be under the impression that the design and engineering were both led by Ford's UK division, though.
Three teams: Shelby (west coast), Holman-Moody (east coast), Alan Mann Racing (UK). In the UK it was Ford Advanced Vehicles, JW Engineering (John Wyer and John Wilment), with Len Bailey, Eric Broadley, and Roy Lunn all important players -- IIRC.

Read "Go Like Hell" by A.J. Baime. It's the story of how Enzo humiliated Ford with a big "F.U." at the last possible moment, and how HF II got his revenge, despite Enzo trying all the tricks he could.

Sponsored

geeded

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Floyd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 w/Tech package
GT350/GT500 Shelby?.... First a little personal history.

I was 16 when the Shelby GT350 was first built. Muscle cars and the new Mustangs were just coming into their own. In the part of Georgia where I lived, Ford & Dodge were ignored and GM was king (still not sure why). However, there was one (!) GT350 in the area and no one, and I mean NO ONE, would mess with it or challenge it to a race (even though we now know it was beatable by enough opposing cubic inches). I saw it once that I can remember, hard to forget the noise and the white w/blue stripes even now.

A couple of years later, I stopped by a local small Ford dealer with only 2 cars in the showroom. They were 1. A Ford GT40 licensed for the street and 2. A Red 427 Cobra. Both brand new and with velvet ropes surrounding them. The Ford/Ferrari LeMans dust-up was progressing so to say these three cars made an impression on a 16 to 19 year old Southern boy would be a WILD understatement! Of course, I was getting ready to go play in Vietnam and didn't have two nickels to rub together, so all I could do was lust.....

As the years passed, I swore that I would own a Shelby but, as some of us know, life has a habit of getting in the way. Wife, children, living overseas for many years, you get the point. Every time I thought I could afford a Shelby, the price was just that much out of reach..... and so it went.

Now, as I'm retired and on the downward slope to 70, I figured my Shelby just wasn't in the cards.....Then I read about the new GT350 Shelby and, by God, I could actually afford it (kind of). My wife knew that I had literally been lusting after a Shelby for 50+ years. For my birthday this past February, she took me aside and said, "Happy Birthday, go buy the Shelby". I found one near here in Anderson, SC, decked out in DI Blue w/OTT white stripes and the Tech package and it was a done deal. Not White w/Blue as I thought but Blue w/White are my favorite Cobra 427 colors so who says dreams don't come true? They may take a while but sometimes you get lucky, even if it takes a few decades.

So, Shelby or not? To me, "You bet your bippy" it is and will remain our Shelby as my oldest is in line to get it in a few years as he inherited the Car gene. But for now, I can still grab 3rd gear rubber and haul (moderate) butt here in the NC mountains so .... Yes, it's a Shelby.

As always, YMMV .... but it is a Shelby! ;)

Last edited:

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Loving all these stories on the forum right now. As someone who is just starting their automotive passion/journey, it's really fun to read all the stories and dream about making your own. Keep them coming!

OP
OP
Mustang_Scotty

Mustang_Scotty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350, 2016 SRT GC
GT350/GT500 Shelby?.... First a little personal history.

I was 16 when the Shelby GT350 was first built. Muscle cars and the new Mustangs were just coming into their own. In the part of Georgia where I lived, Ford & Dodge were ignored and GM was king (still not sure why). However, there was one (!) GT350 in the area and no one, and I mean NO ONE, would mess with it or challenge it to a race (even though we now know it was beatable by enough opposing cubic inches). I saw it once that I can remember, hard to forget the noise and the white w/blue stripes even now.

A couple of years later, I stopped by a local small Ford dealer with only 2 cars in the showroom. They were 1. A Ford GT40 licensed for the street and 2. A Red 427 Cobra. Both brand new and with velvet ropes surrounding them. The Ford/Ferrari LeMans dust-up was progressing so to say these three cars made an impression on a 16 to 19 year old Southern boy would be a WILD understatement! Of course, I was getting ready to go play in Vietnam and didn't have two nickels to rub together, so all I could do was lust.....

As the years passed, I swore that I would own a Shelby but, as some of us know, life has a habit of getting in the way. Wife, children, living overseas for many years, you get the point. Every time I thought I could afford a Shelby, the price was just that much out of reach..... and so it went.

Now, as I'm retired and on the downward slope to 70, I figured my Shelby just wasn't in the cards.....Then I read about the new GT350 Shelby and, by God, I could actually afford it (kind of). My wife knew that I had literally been lusting after a Shelby for 50+ years. For my birthday this past February, she took me aside and said, "Happy Birthday, go buy the Shelby". I found one near here in Anderson, SC, decked out in DI Blue w/OTT white stripes and the Tech package and it was a done deal. Not White w/Blue as I thought but Blue w/White are my favorite Cobra 427 colors so who says dreams don't come true? They may take a while but sometimes you get lucky, even if it takes a few decades.

So, Shelby or not? To me, "You bet your bippy" it is and will remain our Shelby as my oldest is in line to get it in a few years as he inherited the Car gene. But for now, I can still grab 3rd gear rubber and haul (moderate) butt here in the NC mountains so .... Yes, it's a Shelby.

As always, YMMV .... but it is a Shelby! ;)

I loved this story, actually made me tear up! Yes,I said it, tear up! I'm a fire lieutenant here in ny and my life is running into burning buildings and helping people. You sir, I couldn't hold a torch to! Thanks to people like you we can enjoy our freedom which a lot of Americans take for granted. I'm so glad you got your Shelby. I haven't been able to enjoy mine at all yet. It only has 40 miles on it, but tomorrow I'm going to drive it to the cemetery where my veteran dad lies, who passed a little more than a year ago and he was a healthy 75, so he can see my newest Shelby. He loved cars. Thanks for your service and enjoy that dream you finally achieved!

oldmachguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
. . .In the part of Georgia where I lived, Ford & Dodge were ignored and GM was king (still not sure why). However, there was one (!) GT350 in the area and no one, and I mean NO ONE, would mess with it or challenge it to a race (even though we now know it was beatable by enough opposing cubic inches). I saw it once that I can remember, hard to forget the noise and the white w/blue stripes even now.
Was it a '65 (no plexiglas 3/4 windows, just the Mustang louvers, and no rear brake cooling scoops), or a '66?

Do you remember exactly when this was - ie, what months of what year? (Had to be at least late summer / early fall of 1965 at the earliest.)

And what part of Georgia?

(Yes, this might get weird.)

Last edited:

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
[MENTION=6571]Bossing[/MENTION], I certainly didn't mean to offend. Just my opinion. FWIW, I didn't say the Shelby versions of those cars were bad, but I will stand by my comment that the Omnis out of the Dodge showroom were woeful. I've spent too much time in them. We've all had our share of bad/awful cars. :)
I was being sarcastic, joking... no offense taken at all. :D

Many 80's cars are woeful.... but still amiable. :thumbsup:
Sponsored