Sponsored

GT500 noob has pre-purchase questions: Now, what’s it worth?

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I’m considering taking the plunge on a seriously overpriced 12 mile 2022 HE GT500 with CFTP. It still has the plastic on the seats and mats, steering wheel condom still on, all window stickers, etc. etc. You know the drill; it was bought to flip. But if I grab it I’m not gonna just collect it. It’ll get driven, at least on nice days. So I have some questions if anyone has time. If I can put it together I won’t actually see the car until I’m there to close the deal.

*Do they still come with the yellow shipping spacers installed?

*This car has the “leather trimmed Recaros”. I’m 5-10/250#. Most of my weight is in my shoulders and chest, not my butt. My usual rides are around 60-70 miles. Realistically, how bad are the Recaros? Will they be absolute torture for me?

*Is the car any lower than a non-HP Mach 1, or any harder to get in and out of?

*Ride quality?

*There‘s a piece thrown in the car wrapped in cardboard. I’m thinking maybe it’s a secondary chin spoiler of some type but I don’t know. I’m attaching a pic. Anybody know what it is, and if it is a spoiler add-on will the car look goofy without it being attached? Maybe like the second splitter on the HP Machs?

*Anything else I need to know before driving it home 200 miles, or maybe flatbedding it?

Yes, I know I’d be better off finding something with more miles, etc., and if this doesn’t work out I’ll likely do just that. But right now this one has my attention so I’m giving it a swing to see what happens.

I appreciate any help forthcoming, and since I’m sure the car isn’t exactly a well-kept secret I’m attaching a pic. Heck, anybody who wants it more than me is welcome to jump in the deep end!

EDIT: It probably isn’t relevant to my questions but I thought I’d mention anyway that if I do a deal this car won’t ever see a track, just very high-spirited street driving. I’d kinda like to have one, well, just because. At 74 my two Mach 1s are really all I need and then some. But hey, what does “need” have to do with anything?

IMG_0545.jpeg

IMG_0562.jpeg

IMG_0575.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

AMBJR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ALLEN
Vehicle(s)
03 Mustang Cobra-20 GT500
They should still come with the yellow shipping spacers installed.
Have the dealer remove them, both front and rear.

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
They should still come with the yellow shipping spacers installed.
Have the dealer remove them, both front and rear.
The piece wrapped in the cardboard should be the front splitter that needs to be installed. The photo shows that it's not installed yet. The Recaros aren't torture but are more confining. YMMV
Edit: The car isn't any harder to get in and out of than a Mach 1, just the bolsters on the Recaros are "taller" so require a little more effort to slip into the seat.

Last edited:

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
All that said, the Recaros are plenty comfortable for a man of your stature (similar to mine). This is 100% subjective, so be prepared for both sides of this opinion, but I would drive mine (with Recaro) from home (MA) to Florida without concern.

You will need gas often enough to get out frequently enough to return blood flow to your ass long before you get uncomfortable (again in my opinion). That and if you are anything like me, your bladder will require even more frequent stops......

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I’m considering taking the plunge on a seriously overpriced 12 mile 2022 HE GT500 with CFTP. It still has the plastic on the seats and mats, steering wheel condom still on, all window stickers, etc. etc. You know the drill; it was bought to flip. But if I grab it I’m not gonna just collect it. It’ll get driven, at least on nice days. So I have some questions if anyone has time. If I can put it together I won’t actually see the car until I’m there to close the deal.

*Do they still come with the yellow shipping spacers installed?

*This car has the “leather trimmed Recaros”. I’m 5-10/250#. Most of my weight is in my shoulders and chest, not my butt. My usual rides are around 60-70 miles. Realistically, how bad are the Recaros? Will they be absolute torture for me?

*Is the car any lower than a non-HP Mach 1, or any harder to get in and out of?

*Ride quality?

*There‘s a piece thrown in the car wrapped in cardboard. I’m thinking maybe it’s a secondary chin spoiler of some type but I don’t know. I’m attaching a pic. Anybody know what it is, and if it is a spoiler add-on will the car look goofy without it being attached? Maybe like the second splitter on the HP Machs?

*Anything else I need to know before driving it home 200 miles, or maybe flatbedding it?

Yes, I know I’d be better off finding something with more miles, etc., and if this doesn’t work out I’ll likely do just that. But right now this one has my attention so I’m giving it a swing to see what happens.

I appreciate any help forthcoming, and since I’m sure the car isn’t exactly a well-kept secret I’m attaching a pic. Heck, anybody who wants it more than me is welcome to jump in the deep end!

EDIT: It probably isn’t relevant to my questions but I thought I’d mention anyway that if I do a deal this car won’t ever see a track, just very high-spirited street driving. I’d kinda like to have one, well, just because. At 74 my two Mach 1s are really all I need and then some. But hey, what does “need” have to do with anything?

IMG_0545.jpeg

IMG_0562.jpeg

IMG_0575.jpeg
1) yes, they are shipped with spacers. Verify they have been removed and if so, ask for them. They are part of the car. Keep all the "wrapper items" as well.

2)The recarros are very comfortable in my opinion. Not the best to get in and out of, but once you are seated, I think they are very comfortable.

3)I don't know the exact ride height, but it is similar to any FP car. I use my left hand and put it on the sill to transition into the seat. This keeps me from sliding across the bolster as well as assist in the transition.

4)Ride quality... Its not bad when you understand you are buying a track car. The Mag shocks have various settings to control that. I do believe there are aftermarket companies that messed around with the GT350 to further enhance the ride if that is what you are after.

5)The item in the front seat is the splitter. Install it. It provides several features. Aside from aero, it protects the front end of your car from scrapes. With the GT350R, folks who did not install the splitter wound up scraping the tabs off their front fascia. Not good.

6)The drive home.... Realize Ford paint is thin. Rock chips are a serious problem. You are not driving a plain jane mustang. Either have the car PPF'd or use trakk tape to protect the front end and impact areas. The car is its own worst enemy in this regard. The cup 2 tires are very sticky and throw a lot of rocks. Protect your car until you can get PPF installed when you get it home.

7)Enjoy the car.

Sponsored

webspoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Code Orange
There should be 2 other boxes of parts with the car. The front splitter side canards and the oil catch can separator. Make sure they are there or can be ordered.

It will be a great drive home, the car can go from smooth and mellow to firm and rowdy in the different modes. Try them all!

Unless you are around a lot of traffic or construction, I would not worry about the ppf until you get it home. The plastic nose does not paint chip as easily as metal does. Later, ppf the nose and the rear qtrs (in front of the rear wheels)

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
I’ve done ride-alongs on track in a GT500 CFTP with Recaros. Seats are very comfortable and provide great support. The car is fantastic on the track.

I’m not counting other peoples money but if you’ll never track it I don’t think the significant upcharge for the CFTP is worth it.

Whatever you decide, it’s a phenomenal car.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve done ride-alongs on track in a GT500 CFTP with Recaros. Seats are very comfortable and provide great support. The car is fantastic on the track.

I’m not counting other peoples money but if you’ll never track it I don’t think the significant upcharge for the CFTP is worth it.

Whatever you decide, it’s a phenomenal car.
Thanks!

It all comes down to the deal really. I have two extremely low mileage 2023 Mach 1s to trade. And as beautiful as this 500 is, truthfully every time I walk out into my garage and look at those two Machs I kinda question my sanity. Especially with one manual and one automatic so I’m able to indulge my mood. And I realize they don’t hold a candle to the 500 but they run pretty strong, for a street only guy anyway.

I should hear from the seller tonight or tomorrow. We’ll see. They’re asking 137K for a 114K sticker car so I have my doubts, but you never know if you don’t try.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Has the car been titled? Would you be the second owner?

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Thanks!

It all comes down to the deal really. I have two extremely low mileage 2023 Mach 1s to trade. And as beautiful as this 500 is, truthfully every time I walk out into my garage and look at those two Machs I kinda question my sanity. Especially with one manual and one automatic so I’m able to indulge my mood. And I realize they don’t hold a candle to the 500 but they run pretty strong, for a street only guy anyway.

I should hear from the seller tonight or tomorrow. We’ll see. They’re asking 137K for a 114K sticker car so I have my doubts, but you never know if you don’t try.
Honestly, the delta between your two Mach 1s and that GT500 is probably around 30k. If it was me, I’d keep the manual Mach 1 and add a “regular” GT500. You should be able to get one with a couple thousand miles for mid 80s, so your delta would be around 30k, too. That way, you’d have the best of both.

Sponsored
OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has the car been titled? Would you be the second owner?
Yes it has and I would be. I’d verify by seeing a copy of both sides of the title before doing the deal. Story goes a doctor bought it from a small dealer, ostensibly to flip. It found its way to a high end specialty used car dealer on consignment, where it remains. 12 miles on the odometer.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Yes it has and I would be. I’d verify by seeing a copy of both sides of the title before doing the deal. Story goes a doctor bought it from a small dealer, ostensibly to flip. It found its way to a high end specialty used car dealer on consignment, where it remains. 12 miles on the odometer.
Thats the only downside. If I was able to get them off that large markup, I could get past it.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly, the delta between your two Mach 1s and that GT500 is probably around 30k. If it was me, I’d keep the manual Mach 1 and add a “regular” GT500. You should be able to get one with a couple thousand miles for mid 80s, so your delta would be around 30k, too. That way, you’d have the best of both.
That would work but the 30 grand would eat up my stash to gain another garage space, so no go. If I do the 2 for 1 trade I don’t need another garage space. A little complicated…

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats the only downside. If I was able to get them off that large markup, I could get past it.
You’re 100% correct.

I should have said that I’m a retired new car dealer so this kind of thing is right in my wheelhouse. I’m working on it. I think they may have had it long enough to feel the market eroding a bit.