Sponsored

GT350 vs 2004 Z06

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So, I've been considering a change. Don't get me wrong, I love my Mustang. I just think variety is the spice of life.

I drove a 2004 Z06 today. I liked it. Around here there are a lot of people that barely use their Corvettes. It had less than 30,000 miles on it, which IMO is crazy for a 15-16 year old vehicle. But it was in terrific condition.

Anyway - I liked the view over the hood. The hood looks long and bulgy, but it is down out of the way plenty far enough that it doesn't obscure the road. The suspension is good too. Firm but not overly so. Decent power from the engine. I think the interior is good as long as it's all black. The seats weren't too bad. I think the radio and HVAC controls are fine. GM parts bin probably but I really don't care about that stuff. It didn't rattle. That's what was most important to me. Also the brakes were great. They have a really positive feel and you don't have to stand on them to get the car to stop quickly. I think they were easy to modulate as well. The back end slid out under power when I was cornering and the car was easy to counter steer and keep on the road.

Nits - not enough mechanical grip. Maybe the tires were old or something. They were in very good condition though. I did the math and power to weight isn't quite as good for the Z06 as it is for the GT350. The driver seat squeaked. It felt a little like an overstuffed leather la Z boy to me. It forced me to shift from 1st to 4th once. I didn't like that.

One slight negative that I didn't expect is that even though the seats are low to the ground I felt like I was high in the car. Similar feeling that I get in the GT350. Seating position is just a little too high relative to the rest of the car.

I got in my GT350 for the drive home and came away thinking that the GT350 is pretty much superior in every way. Better engine sound, better shifter, lots of mechanical grip. Infotainment isn't a big deal to me but obviously the infotainment in a 2016 is present versus virtually nothing in the 2004.

Anyone else made a comparison like this? What do you think?
Sponsored

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
It forced me to shift from 1st to 4th once. I didn't like that.
That was done to satisfy the MPG requirements at that time.
I got in my GT350 for the drive home and came away thinking that the GT350 is pretty much superior in every way.
That is because it is. The 2004 Z06 was one of the best cars available ... in 2004. Time has passed it by since then.

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
So, I've been considering a change. Don't get me wrong, I love my Mustang. I just think variety is the spice of life.

I drove a 2004 Z06 today. I liked it. Around here there are a lot of people that barely use their Corvettes. It had less than 30,000 miles on it, which IMO is crazy for a 15-16 year old vehicle. But it was in terrific condition.

Anyway - I liked the view over the hood. The hood looks long and bulgy, but it is down out of the way plenty far enough that it doesn't obscure the road. The suspension is good too. Firm but not overly so. Decent power from the engine. I think the interior is good as long as it's all black. The seats weren't too bad. I think the radio and HVAC controls are fine. GM parts bin probably but I really don't care about that stuff. It didn't rattle. That's what was most important to me. Also the brakes were great. They have a really positive feel and you don't have to stand on them to get the car to stop quickly. I think they were easy to modulate as well. The back end slid out under power when I was cornering and the car was easy to counter steer and keep on the road.

Nits - not enough mechanical grip. Maybe the tires were old or something. They were in very good condition though. I did the math and power to weight isn't quite as good for the Z06 as it is for the GT350. The driver seat squeaked. It felt a little like an overstuffed leather la Z boy to me. It forced me to shift from 1st to 4th once. I didn't like that.

One slight negative that I didn't expect is that even though the seats are low to the ground I felt like I was high in the car. Similar feeling that I get in the GT350. Seating position is just a little too high relative to the rest of the car.

I got in my GT350 for the drive home and came away thinking that the GT350 is pretty much superior in every way. Better engine sound, better shifter, lots of mechanical grip. Infotainment isn't a big deal to me but obviously the infotainment in a 2016 is present versus virtually nothing in the 2004.

Anyone else made a comparison like this? What do you think?
That's a C5 right? Have you thought about a C6 Z06? I think that would be a better comparison honestly. The LS7 is awesome. I saw a couple of race prepped ones running today at a NASA event and they are so damn fast.

I'd stick with the 350 over the C5 Z06. Unless... you are gonna build a full blown race car. Then that would be awesome. Completely impractical, but awesome.

Or... if you really like the high reving motor, check out an E9X M3. You can pick up a nice one for like 30K that has the rod bearings done. They are such beautiful cars. Worth a test drive if there is one nearby.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Way to big of a down grade. Iā€™ve driven a C5 zo6. It was a great car for its time. But that time has long since passed. Why not look at a used C6 or C7? The C6 is probably on par with what you own. And the C7 zo6 is just a straight up monster.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
That's a C5 right? Have you thought about a C6 Z06? I think that would be a better comparison honestly. The LS7 is awesome. I saw a couple of race prepped ones running today at a NASA event and they are so damn fast.
Yeah, a C6 Z07 is a notable upgrade over the C5 version, the motor is fantastic (I know about the potential issues ...), it's a H/C away from ~650HP, an honestly, it still looks pretty modern, the C6 retains the classic Vette styling elements, personally, I think even more than the C7. The Z07 with the wide body, massive brakes - even the interior isn't terrible, just swap in a nice head unit, maybe some different seats (usually it's the seats that have crapped out).

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

I'd stick with the 350 over the C5 Z06. Unless... you are gonna build a full blown race car. Then that would be awesome. Completely impractical, but awesome.

Or... if you really like the high reving motor, check out an E9X M3. You can pick up a nice one for like 30K that has the rod bearings done. They are such beautiful cars. Worth a test drive if there is one nearby.
Great suggestion on an M3. I will look for one to drive. I'm not set on a high winding engine though. Mostly just want a V8 in a light weight chassis. I'd like to have something lower to the ground than the GT350 as well. I feel like I'm getting into an SUV after driving the 944. On BMWs I worry more about high parts costs and difficulty of repairs. Is that correct, or would a C5 be just as bad?

So... the C6. What can I say? I think they are ugly as sin. I absolutely despise the eyeballs in the front end. IMO those cars look like a nerd with thick glasses. I believe and agree that they are quicker than a C5. I may suffer with the crappy appearance and own one because the performance is good, but right now I'd really rather buy a C5.

I may end up in a C5 even though they aren't necessarily better than what I have. Just having something different for a while would be fun IMO. It doesn't necessarily have to be the fastest thing in the world. I fully realize there are many cars that are faster than the GT350.

Way to big of a down grade. Iā€™ve driven a C5 zo6. It was a great car for its time. But that time has long since passed. Why not look at a used C6 or C7? The C6 is probably on par with what you own. And the C7 zo6 is just a straight up monster.
Not interested in a supercharged engine. I am looking a little bit at C6 and C7s and I want something that will hold up to some track use. I'm a little afraid of a base model having trouble with brake fade. I might go for a Z51 or Grand Sport as well. Just thinking about options at the moment. I will always be able to buy a newer car. This might be my chance to own a C5 that is still in great condition. Drive it for a year or two, and then go to the C6 or C7. Just a thought.

Yeah, a C6 Z07 is a notable upgrade over the C5 version, the motor is fantastic (I know about the potential issues ...), it's a H/C away from ~650HP, an honestly, it still looks pretty modern, the C6 retains the classic Vette styling elements, personally, I think even more than the C7. The Z07 with the wide body, massive brakes - even the interior isn't terrible, just swap in a nice head unit, maybe some different seats (usually it's the seats that have crapped out).
Yeah, I partially think that the 2004 dash holds up better than the newer interiors. The screens in the C6 look super dated. Since there's no screen in the 2004 Corvette - nothing to look dated.

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
Great suggestion on an M3. I will look for one to drive. I'm not set on a high winding engine though. Mostly just want a V8 in a light weight chassis. I'd like to have something lower to the ground than the GT350 as well. I feel like I'm getting into an SUV after driving the 944. On BMWs I worry more about high parts costs and difficulty of repairs. Is that correct, or would a C5 be just as bad?
While the M3 isnt necessarily light, it isnt terribly heavy either. Around 3700 pounds I believe. I really love the S65 V8 though. It has a wonderful sound, particularly with right right exhaust. And it winds out to like 8300 if I remember correctly. The interior is relatively simple but nice.

It has a couple of known issues that are worth reading up about. Rod bearings and throttle actuators. If you checkout bimmerpost, there is tons of info and many of the enthusiast cars that are for sale have had the work done.

Parts def aren't cheap, but the car is pretty reliable with the exception of the known issues. Good support community as well.

I'm sure that wrenching on the C5s are easier, though I've never owned one. And of course the vette community is amazing with knowledge sharing and DIY stuff.

Different vehicles for sure. The M3 even in coupe form has a very usable back seat. I did Euro delivery on mine and was able to comfortably fit 4 adult males in it for the trip. Very good as a daily driver.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
While the M3 isnt necessarily light, it isnt terribly heavy either. Around 3700 pounds I believe. I really love the S65 V8 though. It has a wonderful sound, particularly with right right exhaust. And it winds out to like 8300 if I remember correctly. The interior is relatively simple but nice.

It has a couple of known issues that are worth reading up about. Rod bearings and throttle actuators. If you checkout bimmerpost, there is tons of info and many of the enthusiast cars that are for sale have had the work done.

Parts def aren't cheap, but the car is pretty reliable with the exception of the known issues. Good support community as well.

I'm sure that wrenching on the C5s are easier, though I've never owned one. And of course the vette community is amazing with knowledge sharing and DIY stuff.

Different vehicles for sure. The M3 even in coupe form has a very usable back seat. I did Euro delivery on mine and was able to comfortably fit 4 adult males in it for the trip. Very good as a daily driver.
Thanks for the info. Very helpful. 3700 lbs is pretty near the same weight as the GT350. I'm hoping to get something closer to 3,000 lbs. I also am thinking I would prefer to try a car with a transaxle for better weight distribution this time, which does start to limit my options. I had the 944 on the track recently and it was interesting driving a momentum car. Completely different than the GT350. In some areas of the track I ended up taking different lines to try to smooth the corners so I could keep my speed up rather than trying to lengthen the straights quite as much as I did in the GT350. Almost like being on a completely different track and trying to learn everything again. Owning the 944 for a while changed some of my thoughts about what "sporty" means in a car and what I want. I can see a C5 Z06 as almost being a little more of a momentum car, even though it does have quite a bit of power.

C5 and C6 I think are around 3,100, which I like. I noticed the C7 is way heavier. Just major suck factor IMO to gain 300 lbs. I will have to drive one. I'm sure they are good even though they are heavy.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
My Z06 was ~3055 lbs, 1/2 tank of gas, all the crap out of the trunk, when it was still bone stock (ran and weighed at Roebling with < 1000 miles).

Some pics ... side note: F*** Photobucket, but I'm in Winders right now, so that was the quickest access to these photos ...

Second photo shows off the badass Caravaggio race seats I had :)

696b71e4.jpg

7f89b398.jpg

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My Z06 was ~3055 lbs, 1/2 tank of gas, all the crap out of the trunk, when it was still bone stock (ran and weighed at Roebling with < 1000 miles).

Some pics ... side note: F*** Photobucket, but I'm in Winders right now, so that was the quickest access to these photos ...

Second photo shows off the badass Caravaggio race seats I had :)

696b71e4.jpg

7f89b398.jpg
Wow, sweet car! I need to swap out the seats I think. Or have a spare set. The stock seats definitely don't feel like sports cars seats to me.

Sponsored

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
While there is 15 years difference in technology and development between the two cars, the C5 is a bad ass car, especially when properly track prepped. A few small mods and proper tires and it's a beast. It's 700 pounds lighter than the 350. That being said, can't really compare the two. Gt350 is an amazing ride.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
While there is 15 years difference in technology and development between the two cars, the C5 is a bad ass car, especially when properly track prepped. A few small mods and proper tires and it's a beast. It's 700 pounds lighter than the 350. That being said, can't really compare the two. Gt350 is an amazing ride.
I was surprised by how awesome the C5 Z06 still is. The brakes have a very similar feel to the GT350 brakes. Good ride. My main objections were the seats and interior.

I still want a C5 Z06. I think it would be fun to own one for a year or two.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
I think the C6 Z06's are in a pretty sweet spot for price right now, upper 30's to low 40's for nice low mileage examples. Plus that LS7 is one hell of an engine. I think it's about as close to a future classic as you'll get with a Corvette. Yeah, the interior is dated but about any 'premium' car of that era will be the same.

Were you at DCTC last Friday? Saw a 944 down there.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think the C6 Z06's are in a pretty sweet spot for price right now, upper 30's to low 40's for nice low mileage examples. Plus that LS7 is one hell of an engine. I think it's about as close to a future classic as you'll get with a Corvette. Yeah, the interior is dated but about any 'premium' car of that era will be the same.

Were you at DCTC last Friday? Saw a 944 down there.
Yup, that was me. It was great temperature wise. Glad the rain missed us. I felt like I was learning the course from scratch driving the 944 for the first time on track. Holding the throttle to the floor around several of the corners where I would have to dab the brakes in the Mustang took some serious attitude adjustment. It took me a couple sessions to figure the car out. I was pleased that the coolant temperature didn't budge. I suppose cooling isn't that difficult when the power is equivalent to a handfull of hamsters. The brakes didn't fade at all either, though. Not bad for a 30 something year old vehicle.

And now the 944 is sold. I wanted to track it at least once. Goal accomplished.

I agree on pricing of the C6 Z06s. I'm not sure if I can get past the exhaust valve issue. Especially when you look at a low mileage example it's likely nothing has been done. I'm going to want to pay quite a bit less for a car where that defect hasn't been fixed yet. I hope to drive one soon, though. Frankly I would prefer a C5 Z06 at the moment.