knighthawk

knighthawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch / 2017 GT350
Well, the PCV Valve change didn't do it. Burned through more than a quart in about 400 miles so I've returned to the dealer again. Refuse to go back to Cavalier Ford so I've got it at Beach Ford in Virginia Beach today. Having them take it in and we'll likely have to start another oil consumption test again now post PCV valve change, and monitor consumption and I'm hoping this time if it continues to do it, I end up with a new engine. Hard to not get frustrated with this but I'm sticking to the process and seeing where we go from here and hopefully I can get this rectified. I'm under the original powertrain warranty still as well as the extended powertrain warranty well into 2027 so I'm not concerned and I'm just happy to not be spoken to like an idiot like at the previous dealer. I'll keep everyone informed on where were at with hopefully an engine replacement at the end of all of this.
Sponsored

OP
OP
knighthawk

knighthawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Heard back from the dealer today. Leak down test failed on 2 cylinders (3 and 5 I think they said). Pulled the plugs and they were absolutely covered in carbon. They got in touch with Ford and Ford has authorized a top end tear down and like all the other cases on here, they will take pictures and submit to Ford and from what the adviser said after speaking with management, will likely (not surprisingly) result in a full engine replacement. We’ll see how it goes next week but I’m beyond thrilled to finally get this handled properly and I feel vindicated in regard to the other dealer who basically implied I was lying. We’ll see what the timetable looks like once they get everything approved next week but progress is good.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Good to hear this other dealer did the right thing.
Some dealers try to avoid the potentially major repair job that will tie up a bay for days or weeks.

OP
OP
knighthawk

knighthawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Heard from my service advisor this morning that they completed the engine tear down and sent pictures to Ford who instructed them to replace the engine. New engine is already ordered and I should have an ETA on the new engine by the end of the day today. Can’t wait to get my car back!

Sponsored

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Interesting you say it passed leak down test first go around and failed when rechecked.
Ford authorized a top end breakdown and then authorized a completely new engine. I'm no mechanic but if they are going to replace the entire engine rather than rebuild the top end, am I correct in assuming this was a cylinder problem and not a valve or valve seal problem? Would be helpful since there is scant info on the reason for excess oil consumption if you could check with the mechanic who did the tear down and confirm what the problem was and post the result. Would appreciate it.

OP
OP
knighthawk

knighthawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Interesting you say it passed leak down test first go around and failed when rechecked.
Ford authorized a top end breakdown and then authorized a completely new engine. I'm no mechanic but if they are going to replace the entire engine rather than rebuild the top end, am I correct in assuming this was a cylinder problem and not a valve or valve seal problem? Would be helpful since there is scant info on the reason for excess oil consumption if you could check with the mechanic who did the tear down and confirm what the problem was and post the result. Would appreciate it.
I’ll do my best to get the info on what the actual issue was. Makes me wonder if the first dealer actually did a leak down test or if they were blowing smoke because now that you mention it I don’t recall ever seeing it mentioned on the receipt. Also part of the reason why I’ll never go back to the first place. Multiple screw ups on their part several times.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
What was the name of the first dealership? Sounds like a place that likes to perform overpriced oil changes and tire rotations rather than do any actual work that could help Ford customers when they have a problem.

OP
OP
knighthawk

knighthawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Cavalier Ford in Chesapeake Virginia. They have two locations in town here and after several bad experiences at the first one, I drove over to Virginia Beach and Beach Ford which is a good 40 minute drive from where I live in Chesapeake. They also tried telling me the second 500 mile stint of consumption testing that I’d have to leave the car with them and have their tech drive it the 500 miles to make sure it wasn’t tampered with. At that point I said just give me the car back and I’ll go elsewhere.

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Highlander DD, 2019 GT350
Yeah as much as I want a Gen 2 engine, I’d rather the original engine consume little to no oil and be good to go. So we’ll see how it all goes. Now that it seems to be trending towards being fixed, next up is getting my MGW shifter that’s been sitting in the box for a month and a half, installed on the car and getting back to enjoying driving again!
The MGW shift kit is nice, but im sure im in the minority with the issues I have with it. Firstly, I find it a bit stiff in comparison to the stock shifter. I only drove the stock during a test drive, but I remember it feeling like butter.

Secondly, The 4th to 5th gear shift just seems extra sticky getting it over. I threw it into 3rd by accident already once. Fortunately I was granny shifting at 4k so it only about 5500, but could see this being a problem pushing the gears to the limit.

I only have about 600 miles experience with it of mostly highway driving. Im sure its something I will get used to. I also havent owned a manual since 2014 so there will be growing pains.

Glad they were able to figure out the cause of your oil consumption.

Sponsored

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Highlander DD, 2019 GT350
Heard back from the dealer today. Leak down test failed on 2 cylinders (3 and 5 I think they said). Pulled the plugs and they were absolutely covered in carbon. They got in touch with Ford and Ford has authorized a top end tear down and like all the other cases on here, they will take pictures and submit to Ford and from what the adviser said after speaking with management, will likely (not surprisingly) result in a full engine replacement. We’ll see how it goes next week but I’m beyond thrilled to finally get this handled properly and I feel vindicated in regard to the other dealer who basically implied I was lying. We’ll see what the timetable looks like once they get everything approved next week but progress is good.
Oh damn...Guess I spoke too soon. Good luck!

SilverSerpent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 1990 Skyline GT-R, 2001 Toyota Tacoma
@knighthawk Curious where you ended up on this.

I'm currently in the process of dealing with the oil consumption test. Just like you, everything I had seen/read pre- and post- purchase of the car up until now, had people going through the process.. It was either two scenarios: the dealer fought them about it for whatever reason (but not all these extra steps) or ford just approved it and got a new engine. From what I'm seeing in this thread, it seems people glossed over a bunch. I did purchase an extended warranty that still has plenty of time/mileage left.

So, I've had my '17 GT350 for like 4 years now or so, bought it with 1,500 miles and its at 25,000 now. It always consumed some oil; I'd probably put a quart in every daily-driven thousand miles. Once I moved out to where I am now, and the car is used exclusively for spirited driving, I was putting a quart in every few hundred miles. It varied anywhere from 150-350 miles etc. My primary concern is less the oil consumption itself and more the horrific sounding piston slap (which the techs are telling me is also now "acceptable" from Ford.)

The A/C was dead and I started hearing a wheel bearing groaning noise so, reluctantly, I decided to take it to a dealership finally. The nearest one is about 45 mins from my house :curse: Turned out one or both of the rear shocks were also blown. While there, I brought up the oil consumption and they decided to start a 500 mile test.

To try and skim over a bunch of this: During the first test, I could see it was already a quart low at 350 miles. The instructions were initially unclear to me, so I brought it to them and they said to bring it back at 500 miles. I brought it back at 500 miles, only to pull into the dealership and have a plume of smoke come out from under the hood. It developed a serious oil leak (from the sender) during that drive from my house to the dealer. They ask me to leave the car and based on the oil reading, are going to see what Ford has to say.

They get back to me a few days later and Ford (or someone) was unhappy that the car had 25,000 miles on it. They also said I wasn't using Motorcraft oil (I used Amsoil because it's a safe bet that its better and for legal reasons, it says it meets or exceeds Ford's spec.) So they did an oil change on it (wasting my recently changed Amsoil) and charged me $350 to do it. Also, fixed the oil sender leak under warranty. Started the test again.

I bring the car back after another 500 miles (second test), they check it and relay that to the service manager, who, seemingly out of no where in my mind and also the two techs and the service advisor, claims that I need to do the test up to 3000 miles i.e. 6 times? No one had heard of this before. I ask for this required procedure in documented form from Ford. The service manager is too busy and said he'd email it. I ask for the Ford customer service #.

The tech tops off the oil, it was 1.5 quarts low, and then sends me on my way.

Is the series of tests nonsense? I've never heard of it until I just searched now and saw it mentioned here. The other closest Ford dealer (its actually right down the street from this one) is owned by the same people.

I'm getting the impression that someone, whether its the service manager or Ford, I do not know, is going to try and fight me the whole way. Wtf. This is why I don't believe in new cars or warranty bs. The dealers or car manufacturer just do not want to help you in anyway if it'll cost them a dime. The car just got paid off and I'm strongly thinking about selling it. I thought I would keep it forever since its like nearly perfect.

Last edited:
OP
OP
knighthawk

knighthawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
@knighthawk Curious where you ended up on this.

I'm currently in the process of dealing with the oil consumption test. Just like you, everything I had seen/read pre- and post- purchase of the car up until now, had people going through the process.. It was either two scenarios: the dealer fought them about it for whatever reason (but not all these extra steps) or ford just approved it and got a new engine. From what I'm seeing in this thread, it seems people glossed over a bunch. I did purchase an extended warranty that still has plenty of time/mileage left.

So, I've had my '17 GT350 for like 4 years now or so, bought it with 1,500 miles and its at 25,000 now. It always consumed some oil; I'd probably put a quart in every daily-driven thousand miles. Once I moved out to where I am now, and the car is used exclusively for spirited driving, I was putting a quart in every few hundred miles. It varied anywhere from 150-350 miles etc. My primary concern is less the oil consumption itself and more the horrific sounding piston slap (which the techs are telling me is also now "acceptable" from Ford.)

The A/C was dead and I started hearing a wheel bearing groaning noise so, reluctantly, I decided to take it to a dealership finally. The nearest one is about 45 mins from my house :curse: Turned out one or both of the rear shocks were also blown. While there, I brought up the oil consumption and they decided to start a 500 mile test.

To try and skim over a bunch of this: During the first test, I could see it was already a quart low at 350 miles. The instructions were initially unclear to me, so I brought it to them and they said to bring it back at 500 miles. I brought it back at 500 miles, only to pull into the dealership and have a plume of smoke come out from under the hood. It developed a serious oil leak (from the sender) during that drive from my house to the dealer. They ask me to leave the car and based on the oil reading, are going to see what Ford has to say.

They get back to me a few days later and Ford (or someone) was unhappy that the car had 25,000 miles on it. They also said I wasn't using Motorcraft oil (I used Amsoil because it's a safe bet that its better and for legal reasons, it says it meets or exceeds Ford's spec.) So they did an oil change on it (wasting my recently changed Amsoil) and charged me $350 to do it. Also, fixed the oil sender leak under warranty. Started the test again.

I bring the car back after another 500 miles (second test), they check it and relay that to the service manager, who, seemingly out of no where in my mind and also the two techs and the service advisor, claims that I need to do the test up to 3000 miles i.e. 6 times? No one had heard of this before. I ask for this required procedure in documented form from Ford. The service manager is too busy and said he'd email it. I ask for the Ford customer service #.

The tech tops off the oil, it was 1.5 quarts low, and then sends me on my way.

Is the series of tests nonsense? I've never heard of it until I just searched now and saw it mentioned here. The other closest Ford dealer (its actually right down the street from this one) is owned by the same people.

I'm getting the impression that someone, whether its the service manager or Ford, I do not know, is going to try and fight me the whole way. Wtf. This is why I don't believe in new cars or warranty bs. The dealers or car manufacturer just do not want to help you in anyway if it'll cost them a dime. The car just got paid off and I'm strongly thinking about selling it. I thought I would keep it forever since its like nearly perfect.
After fighting a battle with a horrible dealer and getting fed lies about the oil test, I went to a different local dealer who was so much better. They did the leak down and compression check the same day I dropped it off. Approved a new engine the next day. Took a few weeks to get the engine delivered and then a couple more to get it installed and road tested etc. Bottom line is if the dealer is jerking you around, go somewhere else. I was told the original dealer would have to drive my car on their own for 500 miles on their own road trip which is absolutely insane. I wasn’t going to allow that.
Sponsored