WItoTX

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Great progress with the GT350, you’re doing really well with the track times/events too. The more you go the better you get each time. It’s nice to see how you’re logging/tracking your actual track runs; best way to do it and you can actually learn from how X-run went and what needs to be improved upon or adjustments, etc.

Keep up the great thread! It’s very educational for many who may have never run a car in certain events like you are doing - and have thought of building a car for such events, but may have been intimidated by XYZ. Your thread has a lot of DIY’s embedded in it too, which again is very useful and beneficial to others.

Best of luck with the GT350 and your track journeys!
Much appreciated. I hope it helps someone, even if its a what not to do situation!
Sponsored

COBRAFREAK1996

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Car looks awesome! Mine is going in a similar direction and it's kinda nice seeing you work out some of the same questions I've had. I'm running my first Nationals at VIR in March in S2 so no wing or spoiler yet but it's on the list for later this year. That will push me up to the Max class. Good luck and look forward to more updates!

JBG0137

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 1965 Mustang Fastback, 2019 GT350r
I developed our Mag-ride coilover conversions to combat this. They allow the use of stiffer 2.5" coilover springs while maintining the OEM mag ride shocks. I'll DM you.
Interested in the coil over conversion for mag-ride also

Sponsored

Concretevol

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Car looks awesome! Mine is going in a similar direction and it's kinda nice seeing you work out some of the same questions I've had. I'm running my first Nationals at VIR in March in S2 so no wing or spoiler yet but it's on the list for later this year. That will push me up to the Max class. Good luck and look forward to more updates!
Hey I'll be there too, look me up! In Max 2 because of the aero you mentioned. lol

COBRAFREAK1996

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Hey I'll be there too, look me up! In Max 2 because of the aero you mentioned. lol
Hey I see you on the registration page! Will definitely have to come hang out! There's another GT350 from NY in S2 with me but dunno who they are.

OP
OP
WItoTX

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yeah I was commenting from my phone and then realized it was him. lol Will be checking it out.
While you are googling it, here is the video of the set up from @ajhartman. Super easy install.

OP
OP
WItoTX

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I sure some other folks saw on the CAMC thread here, but I wanted to put an update into my build thread for results at this last weekends Pro Solo in Beeville, TX. After my last local event in February, I realize my Falkens, with about 60 runs on them, had lost a lot of grip. I was beaten by FS guys which I typically put a full second or two on. So, I had my used Falkens swapped (With about 40% tread life left), with new Falkens prior to the March local event.

The results were astounding. With fresh tires, and three runs to burn off the mold compound, I was able to put a full two seconds on the same guys, while still not fully exploiting the cars grip. So it goes to show, Falkens only get me about 50 runs before they drop off significantly.

In addition, the tire guy who came to swap them for me walked me through my tread wear, and suggested I add about 2-3 psi, and I would get better grip, that I was using up the shoulders long before I used up the center of the tire. Information noted.

So fast forward to Beeville. I am now running the Falkens at 32/30, and have someone helping with pressures in between runs.
1710279144261-9t.png

For those who have never done a Pro Solo, at a national event, I HIGHLY recommend it. The format is significantly different, and you get more runs than a typical event. I ended up with 20 runs for the weekend, plus practice starts.

Before I dive into the car and the results, for those who don’t know, a Pro Solo is different from a typical Tour event in that you go head-to-head with another car. You also run 4 runs at a heat (three heats for the entire weekend), two on the left course, two on the right course. Instead of starting when you want to start, you pull up to a drag tree, and once staged, the lights drop, and you are both off at the same time. You do your run, circle back to the other lane, where you are staged typically 3-4 cars deep, and you have a friend check pressures, with no time to get water on the tires. You then run the opposite course, then swap back to the other side. Then repeat the process until you have your four runs. You take your best time on each side, and add them up, which gets you a total time, which is then (in CAM) run through a PAX, and you find out where you line up against CAMC, CAMS, and CAMT cars. THEN, you take your best run on each side on Saturday, and Sunday, and that is how the winner is determined.

I find that format to be an absolute blast, and a welcome change of pace from the typical Tour start.

Back into it. Saturday morning, car is prepped, I got a mild hangover (which I find I drive much more patiently with), and I am ready to go.
1710279166028-mx.png

Heat 1, I hit the burnout box, rear tires heated, and launch. The car has more grip than I have felt in a while thanks to Beevilles concrete runway. I start on the right course, one which also has a mix of surfaced asphalt, and a huge reduction in grip. But with the headwind on that section, and the wing, the car is absolutely planted, and at the end of heat 1, I am sitting in first by about a full second. Here I am sitting next to 2nd place in grid, waiting for the go in Heat 2.

Heat 2, I start with the same process, except that I am now starting on the left course, which I felt much less confident. Here I am, sitting next to Andre, an absolute savage in his Viper.
1710279184897-nm.png

The concrete surface temps came up a significant amount, with the air nice and cool. I hit the burnout box, and the car initially spins the tires. But as I left off, I also feel the car sort of bog, and EVERY dashboard light comes on. As I am trying to figure out what happened, I am also trying to get staged, and end up flustered. So I do my run, the car is in limp mode, down on power, I run a pretty poor time relative to my morning runs. I get back staged, kill the car, hoping the error would clear itself. Well it doesn’t, but at least the ABS and Brake light have turned off. So I ended up running all of Heat 2 in limp mode, and am actually able to improve my right side run by nearly a full second, despite track mode being locked out (meaning I was on full soft with the shocks).

So I end up pissed off, and in 4th place at the end of heat 2. My tire guy tells me I had some wild wheel hop during my burnout, which I never felt in the car, and the video doesn’t show any signs of a wheel hop. I get to car jail after my runs, shut it off, then 5 minutes later, turn it back on, and the car can again switch between drive modes.

I get to paddock, and scan the car. Erratic wheel speed sensor, consistent with wheel hop. I clear the code, then go through the entire rear end, making sure nothing is broken, bent, bearings good, etc…and it all looks great. I may have dodged a bullet there. And lesson learned, no more burnouts.

Sunday started very similar temp wise, and I, again a bit hung over, lined up. Pressures good, no codes, and we are off. First run coned, second run, meh, third run I drop my time by a full second, and fourth run no improvement. I quick check timing, and that second was enough to bring me up to second place! And just in time to crack a beer and make the hangover stop.

I went into the weekend, just hopeful I could hang with the top 5, knowing the competition would be going hard in the paint. It felt good to end up with a second place, at a National event.

I am confident that had I not had issues on day one, that I would have had a first place. But, I learned a ton of lessons, and am looking forward to the Tour next month. The car is so balanced, it corners on rails, and requires so little steering input, and it’s at a point where it will confidently rotate without dramatic oversteer, it’s just a great feeling to feel like you and the car fit like a glove.

Overall, awesome weekend, with room for improvement.
1710279236899-yd.png

1710279261661-74.png

PS, I got to see my first Darkhorse, and man, they are awesome looking. The owner said he personally liked his M1 and GT350 better for the driving experience. But after seeing the new S650 GT, which was meh, the DH looks amazing.
1710279313335-ic.png
Sponsored