Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 White with Blue Stripes
  • Banned
With the Ford F150 getting all aluminum (700lbs Less) and the new 2017 Raptor is all aluminum (500 lbs less), I would hope that Ford would go ahead raise the stakes on a low production "Limited Edition" car like the GT350 and make it all aluminum. It would inherently be lighter without the "strip down" of parts like the R is.

This would really compete with the Camaro if not the Corvette.

Do you think the aluminum body would be the way to go?
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
It's a lot different with unibody cars. Not just the panels, but the entire structure of the car would need to be revised to accommodate the different material. If you're suggesting that they make the body panels from aluminum - the front of the car, I believe, is already aluminum. There might be some weight in the doors...

A lighter car would be great and I'm sure is the goal - it will be interesting to see how it's accomplished.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Not going to happen with S550.......S650 on the other hand.......I think there's a good chance of them using mostly aluminium.

It would need to be across the range though......they wouldn't do it just for a Ford Performance edition......although such a car would likely receive further weight saving measures.

:)

OP
OP
unavailableGT350

unavailableGT350

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Not going to happen with S550.......S650 on the other hand.......I think there's a good chance of them using mostly aluminium.

It would need to be across the range though......they wouldn't do it just for a Ford Performance edition......although such a car would likely receive further weight saving measures.

:)
Yes, for the price point savings in production, it could be on all mustangs, but it would make the GT350 less of a unique car. Now that the GT will get the MagnaRide, that makes the GT350 less desirable.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Yes, for the price point savings in production, it could be on all mustangs, but it would make the GT350 less of a unique car. Now that the GT will get the MagnaRide, that makes the GT350 less desirable.
If you think the Magnaride is the most contributing factor to the desire behind the GT350, you have never driven one/are sorely mistaken.

Sponsored

OP
OP
unavailableGT350

unavailableGT350

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
If you think the Magnaride is the most contributing factor to the desire behind the GT350, you have never driven one/are sorely mistaken.
I didn't say it was the "MOST" factor of anything. That was just one example that set it apart from regular mustangs. With the Lincoln Log gone and now Magnaride for the GT and with FP horsepower options, Magnaride was the only thing left that the GT did not have.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
For me, one of the most desirable aspects of the GT350 was the front suspension/brake module and how it differed from lesser models. Only the GT350 gets the aluminum knuckle, an extremely robust wheel hub, and better geometry than the Mustang GT, etc. The fixed bridge Brembo's are a step up from any other Mustang binders and the SHW rotors are easily Ford's best ever (short of the mega dollar GT car).

ChevyNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The fixed bridge Brembo's are a step up from any other Mustang binders and the SHW rotors are easily Ford's best ever (short of the mega dollar GT car).
The fixed bridge caliper performs well, but is a PITA for track day crowd.

OP
OP
unavailableGT350

unavailableGT350

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You wont see as significant weight savings as on the truck.
Of course, smaller vehicle, smaller savings. An all aluminum body'ish, would probably save more then that, maybe 200 lbs. I am just sick of GM saying how much lighter, faster, better the Camaro is then the Mustang. GM is well known for their blown out of proportion advertising for their vehicles... Like GMC, Professional Grade: BS, it is the same Chevy truck.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I didn't say it was the "MOST" factor of anything. That was just one example that set it apart from regular mustangs. With the Lincoln Log gone and now Magnaride for the GT and with FP horsepower options, Magnaride was the only thing left that the GT did not have.
I had an S550 GT for a year. Adding mag suspension does not even com close to providing the experience of the GT350. Not by a mile! As Epiphany stated, the front end of the car is incredibly unique and then there is that Voodoo.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Of course, smaller vehicle, smaller savings. An all aluminum body'ish, would probably save more then that, maybe 200 lbs. I am just sick of GM saying how much lighter, faster, better the Camaro is then the Mustang. GM is well known for their blown out of proportion advertising for their vehicles... Like
GMC, Professional Grade: BS, it is the same Chevy truck.
Fair to say that you probably don't own a GM product. :ford:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
For the love of all fawk's sake, stop spelling it "Magnaride" It's Magneride!

mag·net·ic
maɡˈnedik/
adjective
relating to or exhibiting magnetism.
"an airborne magnetic survey"
(of a bearing in navigation) measured relative to magnetic north.

See the damn 'e' there?! Magnets...magnetic...get the point?!?!?!?!?!!?

It's not spelled MAGNATIC. What the dick is magnatic?

:frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
For the love of all fawk's sake, stop spelling it "Magnaride" It's Magneride!

mag·net·ic
maɡˈnedik/
adjective
relating to or exhibiting magnetism.
"an airborne magnetic survey"
(of a bearing in navigation) measured relative to magnetic north.

See the damn 'e' there?! Magnets...magnetic...get the point?!?!?!?!?!!?

It's not spelled MAGNATIC. What the dick is magnatic?

:frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:
^^^^ PMS :lol:

OP
OP
unavailableGT350

unavailableGT350

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had an S550 GT for a year. Adding mag suspension does not even com close to providing the experience of the GT350. Not by a mile! As Epiphany stated, the front end of the car is incredibly unique and then there is that Voodoo.
Granted, there are other things and not saying that. But think what Ford does not make. The Tremec Transmission (aftermarket), the Brembo Brakes that anyone can add, the Torsen Diff another aftermarket. Ford only makes the engine for the most part. The Magnaride was not available at all, still is not for aftermarket. I have looked for 2 years for my GT (which I sold). There is only Air Suspension....no thanks.
Sponsored