Sponsored

GT350 Air Box for GT, no tune needed?

Stone 54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT. 6MT.
Hello everyone,

I am replacing my 17 GT's factory air box with a GT350 air box, which was from my previous Ecoboost's FP calibration kit (https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-M4). I do not want to tune the GT, but I want to use the air box.

I know that the diameter of the tube will determine whether or not it requires tune. But I am not sure where exactly is the spot to measure the diameters and compare? Is it at the MAF sensor? Or is it at the portion that connects to throttle body?

Since I am only just going to replace the air box, not the tube that connects to the throttle body, I assume I do not need to tune it? Or do I?

Hope someone can help me clarify it. Thanks a lot.
Sponsored

Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Its the diameter at the MAF sensor location.

If you change the diameter of the intake tube at the MAF sensor, then you do need a tune.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
A tune is absolutely required to for the engine to run properly with the GT350 CAI.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Yup, the OEM MAF is in the airbox that you are replacing, and the new airbox contains the MAF which is a different size.

You will need a tune to run even just the air box if you can somehow make it work with the GT intake tube.

OP
OP

Stone 54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT. 6MT.
Its the diameter at the MAF sensor location.

If you change the diameter of the intake tube at the MAF sensor, then you do need a tune.
A tune is absolutely required to for the engine to run properly with the GT350 CAI.
Yup, the OEM MAF is in the airbox that you are replacing, and the new airbox contains the MAF which is a different size.

You will need a tune to run even just the air box if you can somehow make it work with the GT intake tube.
Thank you guys so much for the guidance. I think I am going to just put a K&N drop in filter and call it a day.

Sponsored

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Based on the data we have from the ford performance tunes there doesn't appear to be any significant changes for the gt350 intake being put on the gt. in fact there is only one table that i have found with changes to airflow (besides when the throttle is swapped and then it is only the TB tables). those changes are minor adjustments to the maf temp compensation.

zero adjustments to the maf scaling and the part numbers for the gt350 and gt mafs are the same. maybe the predictive angle tables account for the slower maf reading and thats fords way around any adjustments to the maf scaling.

If you have the gt350 intake tube/filter housing it would certainly be worth a try. worst case you move on to the tune anyways or pull it off.

the green shading indicates tables with differences from these 2015 tunes, stock contrasted to power pack 2.
tb tables.jpg
general tables.jpg

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
@Grimreaper , if you look in the MAF Calibration tab under MAF Airflow vs. Period they are vastly different between stock and PP3. When comparing my PP2 vs. PP3 they are exactly the same, unfortunately I don't have a PP1 file to see if it's the same as stock.
tunes.jpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Then why would Ford sell the Power pack 2 making HP claims ?
Because it does. The MAF transfer function is definitely different between the stock GT and GT350 boxes, and if Ford performance did it without that but with other tricks, that was dumb.

It wouldn't be different between PP2 and PP3 because it's the same airbox.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
@Grimreaper , if you look in the MAF Calibration tab under MAF Airflow vs. Period they are vastly different between stock and PP3. When comparing my PP2 vs. PP3 they are exactly the same, unfortunately I don't have a PP1 file to see if it's the same as stock.
tunes.jpg

you are correct! thanks for posting the screen shots like you did, it seems there is an issue in hptuners VCM when comparing different tunes that operate on different OS. if you view the tunes in separate instances of VCM, the differences are there but when comparing them using one instance of vcm, for some reason it doesnt show! never would have opened them separate to double check their compare feature was working.
i double checked 2015 and 2017 versions and they are all the same maf cal for pp2 and 3 matching what you posted.

Sorry OP, but you will need a tune, i was mistaken. the maf is calibrated and is apparent in the tunes when viewed separately.
Sponsored