GT vs. EB high performance for city driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Yes, because it doesn't. Stock for stock the 5.0 makes more torque. It even makes more torque at the vaunted 2500rpm you keep bragging about.

I'll agree this statement is true and presumably dyno charts dont lie. I will admit when I test drove a GT and Eco and stuck it in one gear and went flat to the floor in both the GT was a touch quicker at 3000.So not bad when driving with paddles or stick shift. I'd get a pedal max and be happy. BUT I drive an auto for various reasons even if deep down I prefer the manual. With that said I am certain the Eco puts down a bit more torque at part throttle. I know almost no one gives a flying f&#$ about that but I do. Flat to the floor causes many down shifts and higher revs. So it's not possible to drive around town with dyno plot of a GT with an automatic. I figure the ecos plot is very little difference from 1/2 to full because it's always disappointing to go flat and not feel much difference. So I get almost full Eco dyno power and only down shift 1 or 2 gears and go.

Also all my experience with this is 15 thru 16 Gts. I really need to check out an 18 or newer in spring.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Here we are, the glorious part throttle wars where feelings are more important than quantitative measurement.
OP clearly specified city driving and low rpms. Let's work within those ground rules.

Can't decide which one has a better low end TQ (1500 - 2500 RPM) for city/street driving where you don't get much room to rev the car.
FWIW, I paid fairly close attention yesterday when driving a 260-ish (both peak torque and peak HP) turbo-4 car of about 3300 lbs (I'm too lazy to look it up, and those numbers are good enough for use here). Anyway, in normal driving, little more than about 15% throttle was needed, and the vacuum/boost gauge hardly ever needed to show positive boost (mostly between 0 and 5 psi or so vacuum). I could make it hit 21.9 psi boost, but that wasn't instantly happening starting from an 1800 rpm steady cruise.

The point here is that it just doesn't matter what the dyno curves are showing when you're not using anywhere near as much throttle as the dyno operator used. You're actually operating well below the dyno'ed torque curve, and getting from where you are operating up to the dyno curve absolutely is a matter of response.

Norm

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
OP clearly specified city driving and low rpms. Let's work within those ground rules.
I gave OP my opinion, I think the EB HPP would be a much better suited car for his needs especially with a 10 speed auto. Would be a fantastic sporty city driver with some legs for the weekend out of town, although tbh I would personally go for something smaller and easier to park like a Focus ST if they still made them but thats just me.

slag1911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
street light to street light driving at part-throttle, the ec0boost is king. Also at idle... these monsters have more torque at idle than the 5.0. They will simply out idle a v8.... and you will lose.

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
I can't speak for the EB HPP but I did own a 2018 Ecoboost (Auto) with a FRPP Tune and I now have a 2019 GT (Auto). I drive mostly in the city. While the EB definitely has better low end torque I do still love driving my GT around town. Especially when I get the space to use her. Long story short, the EB is a fine car and works well for city driving, the GT works for city too but isn't quite as peppy unless you have space.

Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
if you have an auto who gives a shit if you have to downshift. it takes milliseconds for the auto to do and you dont have to actually do anything. this is a stupid thread. if your gonna get an auto go drive both and get what feels better. if your gonna get a manual then go drive both and get what feels better. the eco gets better gas mileage. the 5.0 makes more power. they look the same so go drive one and make a choice.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
if you have an auto who gives a shit if you have to downshift. it takes milliseconds for the auto to do and you dont have to actually do anything. this is a stupid thread. if your gonna get an auto go drive both and get what feels better. if your gonna get a manual then go drive both and get what feels better. the eco gets better gas mileage. the 5.0 makes more power. they look the same so go drive one and make a choice.
OP’s last post was #19. We’ve been discussing amongst ourselves.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
OP’s last post was #19. We’ve been discussing amongst ourselves.
its still a dumb discussion. im bored at work so i ended up reading like 7 pages and its the same running around in circles. the feel of the eb may seem better than the feel of the gt but the gt is faster and makes more power and gets worse mpg. end of thread lol

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
The point here is that it just doesn't matter what the dyno curves are showing when you're not using anywhere near as much throttle as the dyno operator used.
Exactly and what many fail to take into account … it's as if some people are driving WOT everywhere they go. The discussion started at PART THROTTLE day-to-day driving. I've never driven an EcoBoost but from those that have it seems to be best for that.

I don't personally care as my car is not a daily driver and I have it for the occasional thrill ride that only a V8 can provide when the aural part of the equation plays a huge factor in the thrill.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Here is an easy solution for all of you part throttle racers out there…

https://www.americanmuscle.com/pedal-bluetooth-throttle-response-controller-1118-mustang.html?utm_content=Tuner - Throttle Controller|Pedal Commander&T5_Var4=404921&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var2=shopping&utm_campaign=AMM+Mustang+Vehicle+Medium&T5_Var3=blue&intl=0&dialogtech=ppc&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrrXtBRCKARIsAMbU6bE-M-P_m-_O_0SDovKhoAvQtGN90cBLoGFILJnRnl7c6CXmd9lecC8aAn40EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Now you too can turn your throttle into a simple on off switch!
Would you like full throttle at 25% pedal travel? No problem!
Do you want to play mental games with yourself and feel like your car isn’t working as hard because you’re pressing less on the pedal?
Are your friends pulling away from your 10% throttle roll races?
Do you feel like you have to work too hard losing control at cars and coffee? Fixed!

This devices does it all!

And to top it off, this devices cures nearly every VD known to man!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
not by much though. 24.8 for the EB, 21.7 for the GT, based on how I drive and my routes. Both 6MT. YMMV of course
Agreed. This weekends trip up to MOM from Myrtle Beach to Concord, just under 400 miles. All mixed driving but mainly non highway 45-60MPH limits. :) 27.6MPG.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
why can't ecoboost owners just admit they either couldn't afford the GT (could have bought a used one but not everybody wants a used car) or somehow need to get an extra 5mpg or whatever instead of trying to insist their cars are as good or better in some performance measure? you bought the more economical model, that's fine, just accept it. it's like a fat chick in yoga pants. i know you got cat called by an illegal that one time at wal mart but let's be real here...

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Yes, because it doesn't. Stock for stock the 5.0 makes more torque. It even makes more torque at the vaunted 2500rpm you keep bragging about. Because you have literally no idea what you're talking about and keep trying to repeat the same debunked crap over and over. The 15-17 EB peaks around 270ft-lb at 2500 rpm, the 15-17 GT is making over 300ft-lb there and keeps climbing until its peak much later. It gets even worse compared to a gen 3 coyote with the higher compression and direct injection, that motor makes a lot more torque than the gen 2.

Again, none of this will get through your 6 foot thick lead skull that blocks out all facts and reason, but there it is.

If you read the thread, instead of assuming things, you will know exactly what is being discussed.

• First off, nobody here is discussing a 15-19 EB engine...!
  • Secondly, we are talking about not only the RS engine, but a 93 tune RS engine (or equivalent Ford Performance Tune).
  • Third, nobody had produced a RS engine dyno here. Though as stated, an RS dyno is not needed to understand how much torque can be produced by the "stock" EB engine, using Ford's own $725 tune, which adds +76lb-ft of thrust @ 2500rpms to the base EB engine (view second photo for torque plot gain). And in knowing the RS block can handle moAr, thus the HPP can have even more low-end performance than a tuned stock EB engine.
  • Fourth, we are speaking about driving either, with a manual.

Given those three points^, is what I am basing my comments on, that the HPP will need less coaxing around town and in daily driving, than the 5.0.

Last edited:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
why can't ecoboost owners just admit they either couldn't afford the GT (could have bought a used one but not everybody wants a used car) or somehow need to get an extra 5mpg or whatever instead of trying to insist their cars are as good or better in some performance measure? you bought the more economical model, that's fine, just accept it. it's like a fat chick in yoga pants. i know you got cat called by an illegal that one time at wal mart but let's be real here...

My $53 BMW was a turbo... guess you don't understand it is not about money, or affordability. I find it sad though, the 5.0 owners don't drop a $6k charger on their cars, so they can have some low end torque like a vette and other forced inducted cars.

amiright?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.