Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I'll actually answer the question for you: yes it is. You would do yourself very well to change to Bilstein B6 shocks and struts, or Ford Performance track (M-18000-F). It will ride better overall and handle better.
The 15-17 OEM dampers were not paired well to the springs, imo. The Bilsteins will work wonders, or consider rebound adjustable dampers like the Steeda ProActions.
+1 most generally agree that Ford missed the mark with the OE shock tuning. Maybe it worked on their test track, who knows, but there are much better options.

The FRPP track dampers are the best cost/benefit IMO, and the Bilstein took their time but got it right. Even if you pair either of those with slightly stiffer/lowering springs, you'll see a ride quality improvement.
Sponsored

OP
OP
1stBluesCup

1stBluesCup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP, '07 Miata MX-5, 2006 Tundra SR5
UPDATE on my situation:
A Steeda guy called me a few weeks ago and we discussed my problem w/ the stiff & violent rebound even after I installed the Steeda Active (non-adj) rear dampers. We discussed the jounce bumpers. I said I reinstalled the oem bumpers. He said to go to either the Steeda foam bumpers or cut off the first pleat of the eom bumpers. The first pleat on the oem foam bumpers is about 5/8" thick. I finally did that this week and it made a HUGE difference. Much happier now.

OP
OP
1stBluesCup

1stBluesCup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I'll actually answer the question for you: yes it is. You would do yourself very well to change to Bilstein B6 shocks and struts, or Ford Performance track (M-18000-F). It will ride better overall and handle better.
Found the problem- jounce bumpers, or bumps stops are too long. The car was hammering down on the bump stops and then rebounding without allowing the dampers to damper. I cut off the first pleat (5/8") from advice from Steeda. Made a HUGE improvement. Got new Indy 500's and going to the track in a couple weeks to check it all out. Thanks!

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Found the problem- jounce bumpers, or bumps stops are too long. The car was hammering down on the bump stops and then rebounding without allowing the dampers to damper. I cut off the first pleat (5/8") from advice from Steeda. Made a HUGE improvement. Got new Indy 500's and going to the track in a couple weeks to check it all out. Thanks!
We appreciate the follow up and feedback - glad you are now enjoying your set up!

TJ

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
ound the problem- jounce bumpers, or bumps stops are too long. The car was hammering down on the bump stops and then rebounding without allowing the dampers to damper.
except that's not how they work. The bumpers crash-stop the compression stroke. They contribute basically nothing to rebound - and the rebound valving works all the time given sufficient velocity thru the piston. Very glad you at least got the immediate problem fixed. If you have occasion to tear into them again, get the Eibach ones and chop them in half.

Sponsored

OP
OP
1stBluesCup

1stBluesCup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
except that's not how they work. The bumpers crash-stop the compression stroke. They contribute basically nothing to rebound - and the rebound valving works all the time given sufficient velocity thru the piston. Very glad you at least got the immediate problem fixed. If you have occasion to tear into them again, get the Eibach ones and chop them in half.
I understand what you're saying and it makes sense, but the car rides so much better. That's the only change I've made since putting on the Steeda non-adj dampers. Before I shortened the bumps, there was only 5/8" of shiny damper shaft visible so the car only had to compress 5/8" before starting to hit the bump. Now it's about 1 1/2". Doesn't look like much, but I think it has allowed the dampers to soften the down stroke before rebounding the up stroke.
rear damper bumps.jpg

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm, I wonder if the OEM bump stops bottoming out all the time puts more stress on the shock mounts? I hear about people breaking those.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm, I wonder if the OEM bump stops bottoming out all the time puts more stress on the shock mounts? I hear about people breaking those.
yes, you do NOT want to drive the force into the flimsy-ass mount. I was eyeballing the mount on the Maverick from the next lane over and it was angled at a 45deg angle and probably reinforced on the backside as well.

The Mustang rear shock mount is a despicable piece of "you've gotta be kidding me" idiot engineering.

STAY OUT OF THE BUMP STOPS. Even better Ford, put a bump stop on a piece of the chassis arm so it hits the underside of the IRS frame.
Sponsored