Sponsored

GT Active Exhaust - Can you weld exhaust tips to it?

Dabitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I have 4 black exhaust tips that are bolt on but they don't stay put. I hate the raw exhaust tips on the active exhaust (2019 GT Premium). I thought about taking it to a shop to weld the black tips to the OEM exits so they stay solid and permanent. I know some materials cannot be welded to. Does anyone know if this can be done before I waste my time?
Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
That was quick, thanks. They are Black Coated Stainless Steel. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CGJXYSR?th=1

This is a temporary solution for about a year before I get Corsa with double h-pipe.
The preferred method is TIG weld with some 309 filler wire. I wouldn’t want just any exhaust shop MIG welding with standard mild steel wire.
Have you considered fitting up a Steeda H-pipe or X-pipe to your OEM active exhaust ?

OP
OP
Dabitz

Dabitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Yes I already have the Steeda h pipe. It sounds great, just not loud enough, and hate the unfinished OEM tips.

Sponsored

bigmixx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP2
Yes I already have the Steeda h pipe. It sounds great, just not loud enough, and hate the unfinished OEM tips.
I'm in the same boat. I have the Steed H pipe and like it but I wish it was a bit louder and deeper in track mode. Plus I hate the OEM tips as well. I have the cash saved up just not sure if I want Corsa or Borla.

OP
OP
Dabitz

Dabitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
From the research I have done, the best option (IMHO) seems to be the Corsa with double H pipe.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
From the research I have done, the best option (IMHO) seems to be the Corsa with double H pipe.
If ever planning on long tubes would highly recommend the Sport over the Xtremes. The tone on the Xtremes gets way too trumpety after headers upgrade. If keeping it stock then the Xtremes sound great.

OP
OP
Dabitz

Dabitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah I was aware. I'm not touching the headers as I don't want any inspection nightmares. I do want a tune with burbles in track mode 😀... I had the tips welded, I forgot to tell them to cut the bolts. Looks good and no more rattling.

Sponsored

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
nice, they look identical to mine. Zero issues with mine

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I have 4 black exhaust tips that are bolt on but they don't stay put. I hate the raw exhaust tips on the active exhaust (2019 GT Premium). I thought about taking it to a shop to weld the black tips to the OEM exits so they stay solid and permanent. I know some materials cannot be welded to. Does anyone know if this can be done before I waste my time?
When you say, they will not stay put as in shifting around?

The slit in the tip, is it closed, or close to it, with the tip installed?

If yes, increase the width of the slit, and shave some metal off both sides of the slit.

That will increase the clamping pressure, don't get crazy with the removal of the material.

Take light cuts with one, get it sized then go for the other 3.

OP
OP
Dabitz

Dabitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
When you say, they will not stay put as in shifting around?

The slit in the tip, is it closed, or close to it, with the tip installed?

If yes, increase the width of the slit, and shave some metal off both sides of the slit.

That will increase the clamping pressure, don't get crazy with the removal of the material.

Take light cuts with one, get it sized then go for the other 3.
Thanks for the input, I solved the issued by having them welded. They were fully closed but still moved around.

OP
OP
Dabitz

Dabitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Yes, with bolts at the bottom to tighten them up.
Sponsored