MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Nice Fiero! I really like the later gen where it had the hatch sort of rear design (vs. the more notchback style).

One my developers way back when had a really nicely setup MR2, that was a stout little beast, I think it was ~500HP on just fuel/tune/bigger turbo (Toyota built some __beefy_ motors in the 90s, I had a 4th Gen Supra, ~750HP).
Sponsored

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
Show me the FACT. You must be either too young to consider the reality or being childish not to loose an argument since you drive a GT350.
I see you are brain dead. Show me where anything says the Mustang, camaro,challenger, and the vette are in the same class. I don't drive a Gt350,I'm just not stupid like alot of people on this site:crackup::cwl:

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
You can say what you want, the FACT is, the mustang competes with the Crapmaro and tugboat challenger. I don't get why that's hard to understand. :lipssealed:
Yes that is 100% true but also not complete. If a person is shopping for a 60-70k sports car, you can not truly believe that they are not going to consider the new c8. While historically the mustang doesn't compete, with prices Ford has on these cars now, it's a really strong possibility that the c8 will be siphoning customers from them, maybe not at first but one the rebates start all bets are off

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
If a person is shopping for a 60-70k sports car, you can not truly believe that they are not going to consider the new c8.
Certainly they __might__, but there's clearly a number of attributes that many people shop over just price / performance. For example: if I was shopping a coupe at that price point, I would pass on the C8 because I like having back seats for the three of us to take road trips (this coming from someone who previously owned 4 different Corvettes, and who is totally brand agnostic :))

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Yes that is 100% true but also not complete. If a person is shopping for a 60-70k sports car, you can not truly believe that they are not going to consider the new c8. While historically the mustang doesn't compete, with prices Ford has on these cars now, it's a really strong possibility that the c8 will be siphoning customers from them, maybe not at first but one the rebates start all bets are off
Certainly they __might__, but there's clearly a number of attributes that many people shop over just price / performance. For example: if I was shopping a coupe at that price point, I would pass on the C8 because I like having back seats for the three of us to take road trips (this coming from someone who previously owned 4 different Corvettes, and who is totally brand agnostic :))
In the circles I tend to travel in, Mustang competes with Camaro and Challenger and to a lesser degree Charger. But Shelby Mustang is often a consideration for people considering a Corvette, especially base Corvette and Grand Sport. Ever since Ford morphed the Thunderbird from 2-seat sport coupe to luxo-barge, Ford has not had a direct nameplate competitor to Corvette. But at times, especially where the prices overlap, Shelby Mustangs have fit that bill. I know more than one person that has gone from Vette to Shelby or vice versa.

When I led GM’s Powertrain Industry and Competitor Intelligence team we ALWAYS provided Tadge’s team with detail on where we thought the GT350 / GT500 powertrains and performance were going. They treated the Shelbies as 2nd tier competitors, on par with cars like GT-R, Supra, Z4 and M5. Their primary competitors have and will always be 911, Ferrari 458 / 488, McLaren, Lamborghini, Audi R8. Makes ya wonder why they went mid-engine, eh? The fact that GT500 is priced as high as it is and C8 is priced as low as it is puts them in the same consideration set, even though they may not be primary competitors. Things like “how many seats do I need?” And “how likely am I to take this to the track?” And “how important are open roof options to me?” will have potential customers lean one way or the other, but performance and price puts them in the same consideration set.

Last edited:

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
To me the c8 and Shelby GT500 aren't direct competitors. The Shelby is a low volume specialty car only up to 5000 will be built were as GM hopes to sell as many c8's as they can make. GM may build 20k or more c8's but there will only be 5000 GT500's. I think the GT500 is aimed at a certain type of buyer not sure who the c8 was aimed at.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
To me the c8 and Shelby GT500 aren't direct competitors. The Shelby is a low volume specialty car only up to 5000 will be built were as GM hopes to sell as many c8's as they can make. GM may build 20k or more c8's but there will only be 5000 GT500's. I think the GT500 is aimed at a certain type of buyer not sure who the c8 was aimed at.
Yes but why pay markup on a Shelby vs sticker or less on a c8 when the performance would be comparable?

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
In the circles I tend to travel in, Mustang competes with Camaro and Challenger and to a lesser degree Charger. But Shelby Mustang is often a consideration for people considering a Corvette, especially base Corvette and Grand Sport. Ever since Ford morphed the Thunderbird from 2-seat sport coupe to luxo-barge, Ford has not had a direct nameplate competitor to Corvette. But at times, especially where the prices overlap, Shelby Mustangs have fit that bill. I know more than one person that has gone from Vette to Shelby or vice versa.
It's funny that you mentioned this because I was catching up with one of my old friends who's a Mustang guy (he currently has a 2014 GT500 and a 1996 GT with SC) yesterday. His original plan was to get the new GT500 once things settle down and it's easier to find MSRP deals. But with the announcement of the C8, he's going to wait to see how equivalently street-priced C8 performs before making up his mind. Sure, the C8 doesn't have back seats or large cargo space, but he's going to keep the 2014 GT500 regardless and he also has an Outback for DD if he needs to haul stuff or people.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just saw a silver C8 in the wild going up 23 between Ann Arbor\Detroit area and flint. It isn’t as impressive just going down the road. I don’t care for the side flares at all. And he “cockpit” is too small In comparison to the bottom half of the car. Not a fan. I’d take the GT500.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Just saw a silver C8 in the wild going up 23 between Ann Arbor\Detroit area and flint. It isn’t as impressive just going down the road. I don’t care for the side flares at all. And he “cockpit” is too small In comparison to the bottom half of the car. Not a fan. I’d take the GT500.
My one fear is the cockpit won't be big guy friendly. The c6 I once owned was a tight fit, and uncomfortable. If the c8 is the same then I may not be a buyer for it.

rag11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Yes flat plane crank has been done, but in how many american 5.2 liter or more v8 engines? Its not just the engine. The gearbox, the sounds, the handling and in a heavier car! It all just works so well together and creates this awesome driving experience. I think were gonna see that the gt500 actually outperforms the c8. Ford has been notoriously conservative in their 0-60 estimates, while chevy usually hits them about on the nose.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Yes but why pay markup on a Shelby vs sticker or less on a c8 when the performance would be comparable?
Sticker means nothing with 5000 or less GT500's more exclusive more valuable c8's will be almost as common as Malibu's.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Sticker means nothing with 5000 or less GT500's more exclusive more valuable c8's will be almost as common as Malibu's.
Gt500 is still going to depreciate. Paying an exorbitant markup isn't going to change that. I agree they will be more exclusive, but that isn't enough to justify paying above sticker.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
My one fear is the cockpit won't be big guy friendly. The c6 I once owned was a tight fit, and uncomfortable. If the c8 is the same then I may not be a buyer for it.
Cockpit looks smaller than any corvette I’ve seen. They’re all over up here getting tested. There was one in Brighton mi a couple days ago. Dream cruise is coming up and it’s a huge event. I’m sure Chevy will have a presence.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.