grease oozing from steering rack

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT, 14 F150, 23 F150
was under the stang today and noticed grease oozing out of both ends of the steering rack, between the aluminum casting and the rubber boot that extends out around tie rod. is this common on these, anybody notice it? Jim
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I think its normal, I saw a little bit on mine when I changed the oil at 2800 miles.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Didn't notice anything on my car... but didn't look for it either. Need to get it on ramps again to change the Steeda G-brace nuts for the old ones (the new ones required an insane amount of force to turn, so the 60 ft/lbs didn't provide enough clamping force), and will check that. It doesn't sound good to me. Grease shouldn't be oozing out of there. There was either too much, the boots are not installed properly, or both. Let's see if one of the Ford techs chime in to put us at ease... or not. Ha ha.

OP
OP
JCN

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
ya, nether the Expedition or F150 are doing it. I'm going to clean it off and see if it comes back before taking it in.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Did you get under the car? Your boot might be torn, or a clamp broken. I think Ford uses the crimp-type clamps there, which is almost impossible to leave them loose AFAIK, but it's always possible too, I guess. Will scrutinize that on my car soon. But either check or take your car to a dealer soon, because just like on CV joints, if you drive the car without grease, you'd be looking at a new rack, and it'd be more invasive to replace. Good luck.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Did you get under the car? Your boot might be torn, or a clamp broken. I think Ford uses the crimp-type clamps there, which is almost impossible to leave them loose AFAIK, but it's always possible too, I guess. Will scrutinize that on my car soon. But either check or take your car to a dealer soon, because just like on CV joints, if you drive the car without grease, you'd be looking at a new rack, and it'd be more invasive to replace. Good luck.
I think Ford just used too much grease, at least in my case. There wasn't much that had squeezed out, but it didn't look like it was actively leaking to me.

OP
OP
JCN

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
I think Ford just used too much grease, at least in my case. There wasn't much that had squeezed out, but it didn't look like it was actively leaking to me.
that's kinda what I'm thinking(hoping) nothing torn or loose heck it's only got about 1500 miles on it. looks new just greasy, time will tell. Jim

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
In that case, like with any other suspected leaks, just clean everything perfectly, and next time you check, you'd know how bad it is (if at all). Good luck. I plan to check mine when the stupid heat finally relents (98 today)... and also to change the Steeda front G-brace hardware.
Sponsored