Dennis1997

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020
Hey guys,

I'm planning to remove my GPF/OPF from my 2020 mustang GT, but as far as I can tell there is little to no information / posts from other users who did that. I got a fitting catted header, but the GPF won't be there after that header swap. Since the car has sensors to detect the presence (?) of the GPF, the ECU has to be adjusted so it won't go into limp mode, but that's all the information I found so far. I got various offers for the ECU change, starting at €180 and up to €800, which seems a bit too much since you just have to disable that sensor? Maybe someone here has more experience with that and can tell me, if that's actually everything that has to be done of if I missed something?
Sponsored

Jsolman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2018 GT (UK) A10
A few people have replaced the headers in the UK
It is worth about 35bhp in total, but you have to bare in mind, that Ford have fitted something developed by a village idiot to be honest on the RHD version (Poorly welded chunk of metal, missing pipe and what looks like a hammer dent to work around the steering column). So if you are LHD the gain may be slightly less.

As for the re-tune requirement, simply removing them will cause the limp home mode, as the sensor input will be missing from the ECU. Any change to the ECU is a remap (even just telling the ECU to ignore it).
I am lead to believe the ECU makes other adjustments in fuel flow etc, based on the GPF sensors to ensure the best burn. So a remap with additional changes will usual release more power, as these adjustments can be mapped out.
Also every EU country has its own emissions laws, so any EU car must meet all, think Austria is one of the worst... But your remap should also free the engine of these, so it can breath more smoothly.
eg in the UK we tend to have power dips on dyno sheets for stock maps, around 2k and 4.5k rpm, this is so the vehicles pass emission tests at those revs.

I’m no expert, but just what I’ve seen, heard from people, garages in the UK

OP
OP
Dennis1997

Dennis1997

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020
A few people have replaced the headers in the UK
It is worth about 35bhp in total, but you have to bare in mind, that Ford have fitted something developed by a village idiot to be honest on the RHD version (Poorly welded chunk of metal, missing pipe and what looks like a hammer dent to work around the steering column). So if you are LHD the gain may be slightly less.

As for the re-tune requirement, simply removing them will cause the limp home mode, as the sensor input will be missing from the ECU. Any change to the ECU is a remap (even just telling the ECU to ignore it).
I am lead to believe the ECU makes other adjustments in fuel flow etc, based on the GPF sensors to ensure the best burn. So a remap with additional changes will usual release more power, as these adjustments can be mapped out.
Also every EU country has its own emissions laws, so any EU car must meet all, think Austria is one of the worst... But your remap should also free the engine of these, so it can breath more smoothly.
eg in the UK we tend to have power dips on dyno sheets for stock maps, around 2k and 4.5k rpm, this is so the vehicles pass emission tests at those revs.

I’m no expert, but just what I’ve seen, heard from people, garages in the UK
I actually managed to do that change. Replaced the stock headers with "Friedrich motorsport" headers including 200 cell cats. Had to extend the o2 sensor since it wasn't long enough and disable the after cat sensors + everything from the GPF. The exhaust is also changed with a BCE/Grail one, which is basically straight pipe once the valves are open. It is obnoxious loud but passes any noise check when the valves are closed - at least the ones here in Germany. Since the GPFs are removed it shouldn't be legal in any of the EU states, but luckily there is no one checking for them due to the lack of a device that can measure the particles. I have no clue about power gains, will find out about that soon.

Jsolman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2018 GT (UK) A10
I actually managed to do that change. Replaced the stock headers with "Friedrich motorsport" headers including 200 cell cats. Had to extend the o2 sensor since it wasn't long enough and disable the after cat sensors + everything from the GPF. The exhaust is also changed with a BCE/Grail one, which is basically straight pipe once the valves are open. It is obnoxious loud but passes any noise check when the valves are closed - at least the ones here in Germany. Since the GPFs are removed it shouldn't be legal in any of the EU states, but luckily there is no one checking for them due to the lack of a device that can measure the particles. I have no clue about power gains, will find out about that soon.
UK is only Euro 6.0, GPF’s are Euro 6.2
when the headers were changed and O2 sensors relocated, I’m assuming the tuner adjusted the distance from the head for them in the ecu?
I’ve bought a HP Tuners MPIV2, which has an on/off setting for the GPF’s
Exhaust changes don’t need a remap

in the UK, they are trialing noise cameras to fine vehicle owners, when their vehicles are too loud!

Ravax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Xavier
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Euro / 2017 Ecoboost Adam tuned
Hey peeps! Im planning on getting rid of those awful GPFs as well..

Are you sure that the car will go into limp mode if/when i remove? Or will i just get a check engine light? That wont bother me at all, i already have it lighting up half the time, either because of the missing exhaust valves, or the one GPF sensor that is busted and constantly telling me that 'exhaust filter is over limit, service now..

I really want to get rid of it, and put some kooks LTH's :D
Sponsored