Sponsored

Got pulled over Sat night for Mod Exhaust

Bespinoza66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 automatic 5.0, 4.09 differential
Wow! Sorry to hear that, but since it came from the factory like that then just show the paper work like your window sticker if you still have it. Question: Does your intake come with a carb legal sticker on it?
Sponsored

ColeTrickle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP, 09 G8 GT, 00 SS Camaro Conv
Sucks...

I wonder how the ref will res[pond to the active exhaust. The older I get the more I like a quiet exhaust. When the car is in sport + its loud imho with stock exhaust when it down shifts at lights.

It's not worth it to mess with headers or cats anymore just throw on a CA compliant blower set up and run around low key and legal.

Good luck (

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Sucks the world puts a person on the defense when really they should be on the offense. Referee should be forced to have a logical answer why production cars that you are forced to pay state sales tax on aren’t legal to drive.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The problem is not the ref - they are quite intelligent and do have the CVC to go by, as well as the equipment to accurately test for it. In CA, it's been 95 decibels measured 18 inches (I think) at a 45 degree angle from the exhaust. Supposedly, with the engine at 2/3 redline. The last part is a bit unknown because CA uses an older version of the SAE test -- The newer one does require the higher engine speed.

What is not right, is that there is no discretion required of the officer to issue a full-on ticket, which requires a person pay $150 to the state ref, only to prove it was legal. Then, they can fight the ticket, costing time and presumably court fees. So you're out of work 2 days, and spend a few of your own hours, not to mention the $150 testing fee. Worse, you cannot get "certified" by the ref beforehand. You can only go to the ref once you have been cited.

Pre-2019, you'd get a $25 fix it ticket, and you would only have to take your car to a PD and have them sign off on it. While the subjective "loudness" was still not really fair, the repercussions were much more realistic.

SEMA has got the ear of the people responsible for rolling back the laws, but thus far it has not been voted on.

OP
OP
PERFPK2

PERFPK2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2018 Performance Pack 2, 2016 Fiesta ST
Did you get ticketed? If so, did you get a court date? What is your recourse?
No court date yet but I requested one. The Ford dealer I purchased the car from did an inspections and dB test (for FREE!) and verified all is stock and passes db laws. I also had it inspected by another CHP and he agreed that it was stock and signed the ticket. Unfortunately I still need to go to court I hope this is enough.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PERFPK2

PERFPK2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Wow! Sorry to hear that, but since it came from the factory like that then just show the paper work like your window sticker if you still have it. Question: Does your intake come with a carb legal sticker on it?
Intake? I do not have a aftermarket intake.

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Were you getting on it at all? IE was it loud enough to attract attention. Or were you cruising at relatively low RPM's, and he happened to just hear it and pull you over for that reason?

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
You could not PAY me enough to move to that over taxed, over regulated s-hole of a state - great weather or not.

Jiki05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
And yet people are moving here by the dozens. Our freeways are so freaking congested now that it's taking 1 hour and a half for like a 10 mile commute. Knock on wood I haven't been pulled over for anything.

Sponsored
OP
OP
PERFPK2

PERFPK2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
You could not PAY me enough to move to that over taxed, over regulated s-hole of a state - great weather or not.
Yeah it's a pain in the ass here but still love living here for the weather it just can't be beat as long as you can afford it. State has it all beaches, mountains to ski, deserts, etc.

Deleted member

Yeah it's a pain in the ass here but still love living here for the weather it just can't be beat as long as you can afford it. State has it all beaches, mountains to ski, deserts, etc.
I agree that our weather is second to none against the rest of the country, and we have the easiest access to all types of terrain, but how long before enough is enough. I've lived in California my whole life, I'm 25 and married and my wife and I are constantly wondering how much longer this is worth it. If you don't make 120k plus good luck buying a house closer to the bay than Brentwood,Tracy, maybe Livermore if you're lucky. 600 sqft aparments that are renting for 3k a month. Freeways that are congested even on the weekends, and the dollar does not go further in California. I'd make what is considered great money in most of the country, but here its just meh.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'd say get a lawyer and fight it. Plus you're stock and that makes it even more ridiculous.
I agree a win in a non-kangaroo court is likely BUT either C&D or R&T magazine interviewed the guy at Ford involved with that and he said that noise ordances are often local. So more standards than engineers or lawyers Ford employs. He said, they obviously TRY to have the base exhaust meet the majority of laws but can't even be sure of that. Using louder settings you are definitely on your own.

OP, if you really had been racing or violated other laws and beat the exhaust ticket in court, I wouldn't be too upset. He shouldn't have done it, but I can understand (but not condone) succumbing to the temptation. I had a cop ticket me for not stopping for a right turn on red. I did have a data recorder and took a printout showing I stopped for 2ms to court. I was looking right at the cop when I made the turn and he was looking another direction but he decided I could not have stopped based on how fast I was going when he turned back my way. But in court he tried to embellish the story saying I committed other violations and I showed those were not possible based on other things the cop said. I wasn't too upset about the ticket because it could be an honest (if unprofessional) mistake. Wasn't too happy about the intentional lying under oath. I hope his loss in court affected his performance reviews.

OP
OP
PERFPK2

PERFPK2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Was that you with the yellow tire letters in Merced? I was out downtown and seen a RR stang getting followed out of the parking lot by a cop

This was some time ago and I think it was Friday/Sat night
Nope not I. Never been to Merced