carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Hey everyone,

My Olympus ME51S audio gets pretty severely distorted at WOT, as in the video below. I've tried it in several locations and the only places I can put it to somewhat curb the issue significantly diminish the sound of the exhaust (to the point that it would almost be better to just use the GoPro internal mic). I've seen this microphone used with GoPros on Lamborghinis, Ferraris, and other very loud cars so I'm not sure what gives. Any tips, or have any of you used another microphone with success? I have the factory active exhaust with an H-pipe. Thanks!

Sponsored

Sham_POW

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I run into the same issues. For some reason these little condenser mics just get blown out. You can clean it up a bit in post with something Adobe Audacity, but it's still rough. I've thought about trying to find some sort of passive gain attenuator to run inline. You can also use some sort of external recording device that lets you adjust gain manually, but then you have to sync with the video.

I've had the best luck with a dynamic microphone (a stage mic basically) and an external recorder, but I want to find a better way to mount it all.

OP
OP
carpenj

carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
I run into the same issues. For some reason these little condenser mics just get blown out. You can clean it up a bit in post with something Adobe Audacity, but it's still rough. I've thought about trying to find some sort of passive gain attenuator to run inline. You can also use some sort of external recording device that lets you adjust gain manually, but then you have to sync with the video.

I've had the best luck with a dynamic microphone (a stage mic basically) and an external recorder, but I want to find a better way to mount it all.
That's what I was thinking, probably going to need a gain-adjustable microphone. Which do you use? I don't want to have to hit record on multiple things before each autocross run, and detract from the fun I'm actually having by having to worry about technology.

OP
OP
carpenj

carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Didn't sound bad to me but maybe a dead cat over the mic??
I already had one on there, but I have another mic coming tomorrow to try. I think it sounds amazing, except for the pretty nasty static noise at WOT (18-20 seconds in the video).

OP
OP
carpenj

carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Here's the Rode Lavalier mic with the biggest deadcat it comes with, and another (much bigger) deadcat over that one. I have 3 foam/deadcat things I can mix and match to see what sounds the best, but these 100% cut out the distortion up top:

Sponsored