OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Now I feel old... I remember shopping for 2600 cartridges...
Oh god I use to love when K-mart Clarenced out 2600 carts. they would wheel a big bin out full of games and they would be like 2 to 5 dollars. we would always go home with a basket full.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Well I was shopping for 2600 cartridges for my girls. And then Nintendo, Mattel, & Sega. I was with Panasonic when 3DO came out. Most of the games where from EA so they were pretty good. I still remember sitting in a darkened living room playing "D" with the girls. Scared the dickens out of them. Oh the memories.
I too had the 3do and the game were actually pretty good for it. But a 700 system in 1993 was very very very expensive and they only sold them in department stores lol its no wonder it didnt sell well.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Some of you will know what IM talking about and some wont. Use to be you did good as a kid earned a new video game or what not what ever it was you liked. For me was Video games. We would get excited to go to Toys R us and they had the little flip cards on the row. you would spend an hour deciding what game you wanted. Grab the ticket and convince your parents that it was more then they said they would spend but you had to have it. you would mow the yard, wash the dishes eat your vegetables ... anything if they got that one for you. They agreed knowing you wouldnt do any of that stuff LOL. you took you ticket and paid then went to the little window and waiting for them to find the game and give it to you. all the way home you thought of playing it and couldn't wait and then they would want to stop for lunch and you were nooooooo. you finally got home and tore the plastic off and the new game smell was amazing. you took out the book and studies every page ( remember those? instruction books) then carefully placed the game in the console and played it until it was time to go to bed for school and even then argued you needed just an hour more. rushing hme from school the next day to pay the game after talking about it all day... ahhhh

Now it would be hey remember when we were bored that day and downloaded that digital game for no reason and spent 60 bucks and were bored again 20 mins later and never played it again.

Blockbuster or any rental was a family bonding ritual. which mostly always included lets go out as a family and pick a movie and get pizza and then come home and watch together. it was a family night experience.

Now its remember that time we put some random show on to shut the kids up or remember that time we were doing nothing and then clicked button to watch some random crap.

I could go on but us older folk know.. even if we wont admit it , it was better times and we still relive them. Just substitute video game with car part , parents with wife and toys R Us with car part web site. and basically the whole story still works. Ill bet you even have offered to wash the dishes and eat your vegetables if your partner agreed to let you get your car part LOL

I just feel all this digital and convince has killed nostalgia.
Get off my lawn!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I really hate that Toys R' Us went under. I also agree that a bit of the magic has gone out of videogames because of digital sales. I haven't gone to a midnight release in over a decade (Skyrim!). On the flip side, there's now so many great games available, and more importantly, I can actually afford them. Do you also remember having to play every game to death and beyond because you didn't have the money to get a new one? I much prefer today's situation to how it was when I was a kid.
I also went to the midnight launch of Skyrim. Good times.

However, I hate the new digital distribution heaven we have. I have every good game made in the last 30 years at my fingertips, and because of that, I can never choose what to play. I have like 1,000 games in my Steam account, and I can't play anything. The paralysis of freedom. When all choices are equal, the choice to not choose seems best.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I too had the 3do and the game were actually pretty good for it. But a 700 system in 1993 was very very very expensive and they only sold them in department stores lol its no wonder it didnt sell well.
Believe it or not one of the main reasons 3DO didn’t sell was because EA never released a baseball game for it.

Of course price was a big factor. Back then the rule was, make money on the games, not the player. EA never bothered to tell Panasonic that. Without the game’s subsidizing the cost of the player it went from $499 to $699.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Yeah, up until a few years ago, I was actually No Money & No Time. Though I want to point out that no one can buy computer upgrades right now :facepalm:
Right? And by the time you can grab a gpu or cpu without a several hundred dollar mark up, the next generation is released. Although my personal rule of thumb is to match consoles at the minimum. It's a guarantee games will be optimized around console hardware for the next 5 years at least. So none of that "6 core 12 thread is plenty" crap. 8 core at a minimum for future proof and AMD has given us some realistic options now.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I have 16-cores...managed to snag a 5950X on launch day (at MSRP!). Do you think 64GB of 4000mhz ram is enough :crackup:
Are you doing animation? Lol. That reminds me of my coworker who just got his first gaming rig and got advice from someone else. He got 32gb of RAM, a gtx 1060, and a ryzen 2600. I didn't know what to say. Like, dude, you couldv gotten 16 gb and snagged a 3600 instead.

BEERCHAMP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Hell, Unless you want to include the Etch-a-Sketch, toys with push buttons, control knobs, or screens didn't even exist for some of us. Slingshots, pickup ball games, and building downhill buggies, yeah. Anybody else here ever play mumblety-peg? (if you did, you probably know enough to not tell the Karens of this world how that game was played 🤫 )

I was already a parent when Pong came out . . .

Norm
I played PONG when it came out, I was in High School, had alot of sex, but didn't become a parent!
I win!

Jason304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350 2016 Ram 2500 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Kids don’t know how to use their imagination anymore. I grew up in the 80’s. We had video games, but you would never catch us inside on a sunny day. I’d leave home in the morning and be gone all day. If I wanted a hot dinner I knew to be home by 6. Most days I wouldn’t come home till dark. Won’t see young kids doing that these days.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I played PONG when it came out, I was in High School, had alot of sex, but didn't become a parent!
I win!
When Pong came out, I was already 7 years out of high school and a dozen or more years past the age where I'd have developed any serious interest in playing video games in the first place. Two years married and in my first full-time professional job.

Norm

Last edited:

Sponsored

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
Ill never forget how excited i was to get home after buying Double Dragon 3 for SNES from Kay bee toys in the mall.

Another memory is everyone loosing there minds over Playstation when it came out and i was like "nope, im waiting for the Ultra 64" and they would be like "WTF is a Ultra 64?" lmao...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Your views on "interest in playing video games" are perfectly in line with your feelings on automatic transmissions :crackup:
It's a product of the environment I grew up in. Those who were kids in the 1990s aren't going to understand how different life was in the 1950s, or how it could happen that we never felt short-changed by the life we did have. School aside, we were too outdoors-oriented to even want to be inside when we could be outside. Kind of had to be that way, just so you could be with a few of your friends.

Norm

BEERCHAMP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
When Pong came out, I was already 7 years out of high school and a dozen or more years past the age where I'd have developed any serious interest in playing video games in the first place. Two years married and in my first full-time professional job.

Norm
Norm, you must be older than dirt......................... 74?

Cruizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I fall in that old category. I grew up playing Atari and Coleco Vision. I remember getting the first Nintendo console for my birthday one year. 🧓
Sponsored