Sponsored

Going out of town for a while - Start up question

BLACKMACH1NE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1
Work is sending me out. 22 GT. How often should I have someone start/idle/drive the car while Im gone?
Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Put a battery tender on it and park it. Start and idle aren't good for modern engines. Due to emission requirements, more fuel is injected into the engine at startup and has the potential to wash the cylinders if this is all you do. You have to drive it long enough to warm it up and circulate the oil. You aren't really accomplishing anything.

Last edited:

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
How long is "a while"?
A week or two- do nothing.
A month or two- maybe a trickle charger.
Longer- a trickle charger, top up the gas tank and maybe over inflate the tires a bit to help with flat spotting.
There's no need to start and idle the car. In fact it can be detrimental.
If you insist on the car being run then find someone you trust implicitly, give them the keys and have them actually drive it around for 20-30 minutes every week or so.

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Work is sending me out. 22 GT. How often should I have someone start/idle/drive the car while Im gone?
Top off gas tank.
Use a battery maintainer (trickle charger).
When you first start the engine after it has been stored, our cars are equipped with a "clear flood mode" (Google for more info). This means if you crank the car over with the gas pedal pressed down all the way to the floor, the computer will prevent the car from starting by disabling the fuel injectors. It allows oil pressure to build before actually starting the engine. This is also helpful after an oil change if you want the engine to build up oil pressure before allowing the engine to start. "

Sponsored

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
If I would be out of town for lets say 3 month, what would I do with the car? Nothing, maybe disconnect the battery.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
How long will you be gone for?

If only gone for a few weeks, you could take for a 30+ minute drive, then park and let sit.

- Lock the car, with fob/s left in Faraday pouch/s

If the car will go unused for longer, a battery tender is preferred. A tender not only keeps the battery topped up, but exercises it when not in use.

https://accessories.ford.com/ford-performance-5-0-smart-battery-charger-maintainer

For extended periods of storage (several months), in addition to the tender, you could also consider:

- Changing the oil (if coming due while gone)
- Over-inflating the tires to 40 psi, 2.75 bar
- Filling the gas tank with gas (few months), using Stabil (several months+)
- Clean and detail
- Leave the parking break unset, but use tire chucks
- Kept in garage? Varmint deterrents?

If long-term storage procedures are needed but not possible, an alternative scenario would be to have someone occasionally (every two weeks or so) start the car and take for a drive (30+ minutes, minimum).

As others have noted, starting the car, then letting it idle without being driven, is not an option worth considering. Better to let the car sit instead.

Last edited:

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
If the person cranking the car isn't going to go out and drive at least 20 miles or so and warm the car up thoroughly I would say simply leave parked. Put on a battery tender if its going to be more than a couple weeks. I leave mine on a tender usually as I only go out on the weekends, but when I do go, I normally go on a decent road trip (over 100 miles)..

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Skye got before me, I would have given exactly the same advice. I can't stress enough the "clean it" before, especially if the car saw road salt or bug splatter. All of that must go before storing, that's not an option.

Personally, I take the wheels off and wash them inside out very well because the interior of the wheel never get washed and corrosion always starts at the neglected inside.

Again, don't idle it. If you have to go away for something like a year every 3-4 months a good ride is preferable.

65CrownV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/PP1
Bring it to my place and I'll take care of it for you. I'm retired, not a lot to do except drive mine all day. Taking care of yours wouldn't be a problem.
Sponsored