Sponsored

Go to the dealership for oil change or mechanic?

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I also take mine to the dealer. Fortunately, the oil change bay is right behind the glass in the service waiting room. The Service manager allows me to verify the tech has the correct oil and 10 quarts of 5w50 full synthetic....(supercharged). It typically cost around $160-180. Sure, I could change it myself but since I don't have to worry about disposal, and I can observe what is going on, I let them do it. Now if my dealership was known for bad oil changes, I would probably do it myself or find another one. With that having been said; twice they had new oil change techs and both times they put in 5w20 and had to change it again immediately; thus the reason the SM allows me to verify. The tech they have now, knows I will check and brings the bottles up to the service window for me to clearly see.
I have found that when you are loyal with your dealer service you are MUCH more likely to have the dealer on YOUR side when something shortly out of warranty goes south or some help can be offered. Good dealers go OUT of their way for loyal customers and Ford will likely follow.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Oil changes are the only thing I go to the dealer for.
Levittown offers free oil changes and inspections when you buy the car from them.
Also, I don't have to bother with disposing of 10 quarts of oil.

#1ford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium convertble antimatter blue
Vehicle Showcase
I go to the dealer , but can they get the motor craft oil filter. Mine dealer said they can’t get it so I provided it . I got my filter at auto zone!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I have found that when you are loyal with your dealer service you are MUCH more likely to have the dealer on YOUR side when something shortly out of warranty goes south or some help can be offered. Good dealers go OUT of their way for loyal customers and Ford will likely follow.
Very true. Dealers make most of their money from service after all, so if you regularly spend money they want to keep you in the brand, and will gladly help you with any problems.

With that said, I still would rather do it myself because I live far from my dealer. I just document it on the ford pass app, use recommended weights and specs, and write a date on the filter (I bought a case of FL-500S). I also replace the drain plug every few changes. While anything is possible, I doubt I'd get hassled that much to prove my maintenance history.

MakoShark

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2.3 EcoBoost Fastback
I did it on my own. Their only concern was "there are many fake oil filters on the market". I ordered OEM oil filter at the dealership and changed oil myself. I wanted Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30. Did an oil change in 05/2021, had an service checkup in 08/2021, told them not to change my oil and oil filter, told them what was the mileage at the oil change, made my own door panel sticker and they were just fine and checked the "oil change" and "oil filter change" option in their system and officially approved it. Change of service fluids doesn't void your warranty. Just keep your invoices.

Sponsored

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Do your own oil changes, save some $$ and you can ensure the job is done correctly. Does anyone believe a dealer will take the time to pre-fill the new oil filter? Two 5qt jugs of Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 through Walmart for $50 plus a Motorcraft filter for $5? Very reasonable. The PUP got rid of the tick btw!

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
I also go to the dealer with both my truck & Mustang and knock on wood never had an issue. I use my Ford points and usually get a good discount.

josaycuervo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1 (MT, Velocity Blue)
I stick with the dealer for oil changes. Motorcraft synthetic blend, $95. Reasonable price considering labor and all.
Sponsored