Sponsored

GM is pulling back on EVs

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Hello; Interesting how the reality at your location is so much different than for me. My 2004 pickup is down since last week. I hope to have it repaired but decided to shop for a new truck as it is 19 years old.
I want a regular cab with long bed pickup. A V8 engine at the half ton level. Hard to find. An odd twist is two dealers ( one ford & one chevy) had such trucks but will not sell to me. They reserve the work truck types for fleet & commercial sales.
I went to a 3/4 ton search and still had no luck within a reasonable driving distance. There is a Ram pickup in Georgia a bit over 100 miles away.

I can find double cab trucks in plenty. There is a single cab Ford about right miles away but with a ecoboost six cylinder that i do not want. I have had the 300 straight six in ford pickup in the past which was fine, but i want a V8.

I have to agree with Mitch03 that the supply of vehicles in general is not back to normal. I stopped in dealerships in Knoxville TN about four months ago looking to replace my truck. Was told I would have to order.
Regular cabs with long beds are hard to find. Have been for years, with or without the supply chain issues. They donā€™t return much profit for the automakers. They tend to reserve them for fleets and build them in batches to accommodate that. As for V8ā€¦they are cash registers for GM and Ram. Pretty much for Ford too, except Ford makes even more money selling 3.5 EcoBoost equipped trucks and SUVs, so guess what youā€™re gonna find on the lot? V8s from Chevy, GMC, and Ram, EcoBoost from Ford.
Sponsored

Last edited:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm afraid you are probably wasting your time. It doesn't matter what data or information you provide there are some on here who do not listen. They have an agenda (on many subjects) and never actually respond with any evidence themselves. If they even read your post they will respond with a silly meme or video or one liner which just demonstrates they have no clue.

They are just sad old (maybe some are young) trolls who are bitter about the world that they never want to change. They just love it when their fellow trolls join in to reinforce their views.

The OP's first post sums it up - he obviously never got beyond the headline to realise what he thought the item was about was actually not true.

They defend the indefensible - I'm sure I've seen that before somewhere :wink:
I know you are right. I donā€™t write these responses expecting to change the minds of those who post them. I write them to give those who read them fact-based information that can allow them to make up their own minds about what is and what isnā€˜t.

I worked for and retired from GM. Over 30 years there, starting out in engineering, some time in manufacturing and most of my time in product portfolio planning, so I know the industry. Now I lead an automotive consulting team at one of the largest data companies in the world. This company owns CarFax. This company sells registration information, production forecast information, sales forecast information and a lot more to practically every automaker and Tier I supplier on the planet. As consultants, my team has access to every bit of that information, so I come with facts and data.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I know you are right. I donā€™t write these responses expecting to change the minds of those who post them. I write them to give those who read them fact-based information that can allow them to make up their own minds about what is and what isnā€˜t.

I worked for and retired from GM. Over 30 years there, starting out in engineering, some time in manufacturing and most of my time in product portfolio planning, so I know the industry. Now I lead an automotive consulting team at one of the largest data companies in the world. This company owns CarFax. This company sells registration information, production forecast information, sales forecast information and a lot more to practically every automaker and Tier I supplier on the planet. As consultants, my team has access to every bit of that information, so I come with facts and data.
Unfortunately despite being ideally placed from your knowledge and experience of the industry to inform others on here they will still 'know better' than you! They don't use fact based information to make up their minds, they use opinion based doctrine.

I realise that they do not understand how stupid this makes them look!

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.

The political agenda of the echo chamber here will try to bowl over your facts and data, so good luck to you. Maybe start a new thread to share your information as I find it refreshing for a change. This thread should have died ten times over.

OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Are you now getting forgetful as well? You raised this many pages back and all the data was provided to prove that EV's DO NOT catch fire more than ICE vehicles, in fact they catch fire LESS.
Sometimes itā€™s easier just not responding to you but here directly from Ford. Almost as easy as shooting fish hanging from a hook.
7AFE896A-AAFD-487C-AD10-738354B1160D.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mitch03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Cobra
The political agenda of the echo chamber here will try to bowl over your facts and data, so good luck to you. Maybe start a new thread to share your information as I find it refreshing for a change. This thread should have died ten times over.
You donā€™t have to post/read or visit this threadā€¦ā€¦so why do you come here? Sounds like a personal problem To me.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I realise that they do not understand how stupid this makes them look!
You really are on your high mandate laden horse. I do not care what car you or anyone else buys. You can shove all your facts and data up your (censsored) My problem is with the MANDATES. Taking away my gas lawn mower, weed whacker generator and what ever else you green dictators try to ban..

As for 100% BEV that cannot happen in my or my grand kids lifetime, unless we get rid of 75% of the world's population.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You really are on your high mandate laden horse. I do not care what car you or anyone else buys. You can shove all your facts and data up your (censsored) My problem is with the MANDATES. Taking away my gas lawn mower, weed whacker generator and what ever else you green dictators try to ban..
Just curious. What mandates are you speaking of? I know of no mandates in Kentucky. I get paid to, among many other things, know what the mandates and incentives are and how they impact my clients.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
What mandates are you speaking of? I
The UK, California, NY, Oregon.... Who knows what other States are on the band wagon. These mandates do affect me because when these go into effect the car companies will shift away from ICE production and electric rates will skyrocket.

My electric rates have already gone up. The closing of coal power plants and not replacing them with similar or increased capacity plants causes rolling black outs and higher energy prices.

We are taking food crops and turning them into fuel, this causes food prices to go up. We are turning good farm land into solar farms, this not only increases my electric costs it will increase food prices even more.

I could go on but I listed enough to get the point over.

If BEV's were truly better we wouldn't need mandates.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Just curious. What mandates are you speaking of? I know of no mandates in Kentucky. I get paid to, among many other things, know what the mandates and incentives are and how they impact my clients.
Oh there you go again - please stop posting facts and accurate information - it upsets the luddites :wink:

Any minute now the man from Kentucky will start blowing hot air about his freedoms (although doesn't give a fig about anybody else's freedoms) That is why I ignored the idiot.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The UK, California, NY, Oregon.... Who knows what other States are on the band wagon. These mandates do affect me because when these go into effect the car companies will shift away from ICE production and electric rates will skyrocket.

My electric rates have already gone up. The closing of coal power plants and not replacing them with similar or increased capacity plants causes rolling black outs and higher energy prices.

We are taking food crops and turning them into fuel, this causes food prices to go up. We are turning good farm land into solar farms, this not only increases my electric costs it will increase food prices even more.

You are not wrong, but you are focusing on only part of the story. The automakers are making the shift to EV with or without the mandates in UK, NY, California, et cetera. GM made their decision to go all electric for passenger cars during a period of time when Trump was in office with a Republican led Congress and had suspended those mandates. GM is going the direction they are going because as a corporation, they support the findings of the Paris Accord and they are focused on doing their part to reduce carbon emissions. They are not alone. Amazon, Coca-Cola, Facebook, Google, Nestle, Netflix, Pepsico, and on and on. Most of the major automakers have already pledged to be carbon neutral by 2040 - 2050 depending on who you are talking about. Carbon neutral is bigger than what car you drive and what car you buy. And these automakers and other companies are following through with their Paris Accord commitments no matter who is in Congress or the White House. Many US states have also made pledges to be carbon neutral, typically by 2050. For some of those states it has translated to banning sales of new ICE vehicles by 2035. It doesnā€™t say you canā€™t continue driving ICE vehicles you already own. It doesnā€™t say you canā€™t buy used ICE vehicles.

As far as electricity rates, they are managed by utility regulatory commissions that get their power to set rates from state governments. The federal government is providing the states with funding through the Infrastructure Bill to improve power generation and strengthen the grid.

So, to finally address your last questionā€¦if EVs are better why mandates? The mandates are not about EVs, they are about the bigger carbon emissions issues. What is happening on the EV side is less about mandates and more about incentives. Rather than write another long paragraph, the purpose of the new wave of incentives is not to get people to buy EVs over ICE, they are to push EV manufacturers to build the cars and the batteries in the US and create more jobs here, rather than support EVs built in Europe, Japan, Korea, or China.

Last edited:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I typed this in my last postā€¦

GM is going the direction they are going because as a corporation, they support the findings of the Paris Accord and they are focused on doing their part to reduce carbon emissions. They are not alone. Amazon, Coca-Cola, Facebook, Google, Nestle, Netflix, Pepsico,ā€¦

Just to expand on that a bit. Some examples of how non-automotive companies are spending their money to drive towards carbon neutrality. First, to define carbon neutrality, what these companies are saying is that as they conduct their business, they will do so in a manner that does not add carbon emissions to the atmosphere. So, for all the carbon their operations emit to the atmosphere, they will do something else to remove carbon from the atmosphere.

Amazon: They are converting their fleets of delivery vehicles to be all electric. They invested $1 B in Rivian and also committed to buy 100,000 electric vans from Rivian.

Pepsico: Pepsico is also converting their massive fleet of delivery vehicles to electric. They also are the first to receive Teslaā€™s electric Class 8 semis.

Coca-Cola: Coca-Cola is also shifting their delivery fleets over to all electric. Right now they are using Renault EVs. They are very likely to add other brands down the road.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Did you see what stellantis said about batteries?

All these mandates do is cost us money. Why should my tax dollars help you buy a car? or anything for that matter.

Left alone the manufacturers will develop other fuel sources and it won't hit our collective wallets.

The reason these companies follow the Paris accord is because they were hammered with doom and gloom from the schools. I was told NYC would be underwater by 2020. I agree with @Burkey that schools and media should stop with the scare tactics and stick with fact. There would not be this 100 MPH dash over the cliff. We are not in a crisis.

OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium

Now now those are not mandates those are just simple suggestions to try and sway us. I mean come on buddy get with the program. Phasing out certain isnā€™t by any means strong arming by the government. I mean who would fine car makers just to get them to comply?šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ˜‚šŸ¤”
Sponsored