20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have one? Amazon has one (unavailable at the moment) for $99, any opinions?
Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350-Ruby Red, 12 Roush RS3 Kona Blue, 33 Ford
Vehicle Showcase
08C4CF5E-8495-498C-9D3D-3EF792E94FC5.jpeg
841D367F-1845-4FDC-9747-FA198DF902E9.jpeg
When measuring gloss with this meter the number spread is around 4 on average. You don’t get the same exact number as you move the meter around on the paint finish. I take multiple readings and then take the average. (Same thing with a paint depth gauge) A couple things to note. Temperature effects the numbers. If the meter is in a cool garage and you go outside and measure a hot finish the numbers won’t make any sense at all. Also the flatter the surface the gloss numbers are more consistent. I mainly use the meter on my own cars when testing new products. I strip off what’s on the car, apply the new product, let it cure if needed and then measure. I usually do this on the top of my trunk which is fairly flat. I take about 10 readings and take the average number. A good car finish is in the 90s. A really shiny finish is in the low 100’s. You can see the difference between a 90’s finish and a finish in the low 100s without a gloss meter. Generally when I polish a customers car the finish is in the low 80’s when I start and in the low 100’s when I finish. I don’t measure every customers car, just the ones that are well maintained and deserve it.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Appreciate the useful info, Les, thanks. Been wondering about those gadgets for quite some time but my concern has been accuracy. After your post, it's pretty clear that they are exactly like paint depth readings that vary across the surface.

But, from what you said, as long as you stay in the same temperature environment, (cool) regardless of the actual numbers, they're consistent and can be used when averaging.

But getting the numbers to go up TWENTY PERCENT after polishing is most impressive.

So Deyon, I was utterly surprised to read that you had no interest in one of these widgets. I would have thought that using this sort of empirical data would give you more accurate knowledge of products than the old Mk 8 Eyeball. :-)

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Appreciate the useful info, Les, thanks. Been wondering about those gadgets for quite some time but my concern has been accuracy. After your post, it's pretty clear that they are exactly like paint depth readings that vary across the surface.

But, from what you said, as long as you stay in the same temperature environment, (cool) regardless of the actual numbers, they're consistent and can be used when averaging.

But getting the numbers to go up TWENTY PERCENT after polishing is most impressive.

So Deyon, I was utterly surprised to read that you had no interest in one of these widgets. I would have thought that using this sort of empirical data would give you more accurate knowledge of products than the old Mk 8 Eyeball. :-)
At $595 AUD for the gloss meter posted by Les, I would rather have $595 worth of products to play with. Or maybe another polisher.

Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 Convertible
For my undestanding, high gloss numbers are a consequence of good preparation and products.

I was just thinking to suggest a Scangrip light like the Sunmatch 4. I bought one as Christmas gift from me to me last year!

I did my GT this week end for the first time using that tool and wooowww ! I found many small defects that I wasn't able to see even if my garage has good lightening. As we know the Mustang is a low profile vehicule so on the sides, this is not easy to find defects. And as a bonus when you do ceramic coatings, there is a special cover for this light to find high spots!

For me the Gloss meter would come after getting good polisher ( Flex, Rupes,..) , good polishing products ( like Carpro, Menzerna, Scholl, Sonax, Jescar,...) and also a good working light( Scangrip products).

Last edited:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
At $595 AUD for the gloss meter..
WHOA! I've seen some pretty expensive models but most were in the hundred bones range, D. Howsomever, I agree, I dang sure wouldn't pay five hundred.

So, @Les, what do you think of the meters in that price range?

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
At $595 AUD for the gloss meter posted by Les, I would rather have $595 worth of products to play with.
Wow! Prices are sure different in Australia! My meter cost me $125.00.

Sponsored

Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was just thinking to suggest a Scangrip light like the Sunmatch 4.
I have three Scangrip lights. They are awesome. They should come with a warning though! The warning would be “This light will make you crazy and work a lot longer at perfecting your car finish“ The Scangrip lights show flaws in paint you can’t see with the naked eye! It amplifies every tiny little micro line in the finish. But! When you finish polishing, perfection is the results! It’s been raining here for a week, good time to be polishing my cars with the Scangrip light.
445FEE66-529C-4FA2-BED7-92CC82E14057.jpeg
C93022FD-B432-41AE-A24A-BEA1C3F82A3A.jpeg
B3BB28CE-CD0D-4828-AF07-390615473403.jpeg

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Wow! Prices are sure different in Australia! My meter cost me $125.00.
Everything in this country is overinflated in price, and its only gotten worse since the pandemic.

Koch Chemie GSF (1-litre) Pre-Covid - $39.95

3 years later............................

Koch Chemie GSF (1-litre) Now - $53.95

Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Koch Chemie GSF (1-litre)
Koch Chemie GSF is $28 here and I’m complaining about everything going up in price here! Little did I know what’s happening elsewhere!!

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Koch Chemie GSF is $28 here and I’m complaining about everything going up in price here! Little did I know what’s happening elsewhere!!
The Australian Dollar only buys 67 cents of a US dollar, which exaggerates any US vs AU price comparisons.

But what stings us is the shipping to get stuff to Australia. Speaking with a detailing supplier, he can only pass on the cost to the consumer. So it's not just certain vendors getting greedy but a wide-spread issue caused by shipping bottle necks.